“Grounds amazing / some improvements needed”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We had a mixed experience and found some information misleading . In the evenings after dinner there is nothing to do , no live music , no dances, no movies nada , so bring a pack of cards . There is really only two restaurants on the grounds the others are snack bars at the different pools . You can use the sister hotel , is a good 20 mins away and a 10 dollar cab ride or a free hourly bus . There are not many restaurants there either and the nice Italian one ou have to pay a surcharge . I am noticing a lot more surcharges on chefs specials etc in both hotels. I met a lot of lot of people who eat out because the choice gets boring after 4 days . You will have to travel to find restaurants as none as close to this hotel but within walking distance of the sister hotel . The staff are getting pushy with tips and telling you you can get things cheaper if you tip , I clearly pointed out I had all inclusive so this did not matter . The rooms are not but I do not think its worth upgrading for a couple of people because you miss out of balcony . The kitchens are poorly equipt so bring some thing thing good to cut with with and anything you need to prepare food . We were there on new year and ended up with no dinner due to a total mess up on the number of people eating in th resort . We did ask if we should book and were told no , when w went to the restaurant we were told no room , no food and now we needed the booking we had asked about the day before !!!!! Our car was damaged and a few other things . The thing I do not like about the hotel and the reason I will not ever go back is the fact they have ignored 7 emails , no response , nothing ! The attitude is we got our money and now we do not care . we heard from others the standard is dropping . You cannot get your room key till they hassle you to take the tour , this did not go down well ith me having a 8 hour car ride . They are very pushy about the tour and then trying to sell you a time share . The grounds are amazing , the pools clean and there are a lot of them , the beach is rocky but nice with no vendors. The only evening bar is full of dead animals and photos of the guns and men who shot them , so animal lovers and vegetarians beware , we thought it was in poor taste . DO NOT BOOK on BOOKIT.com We ended up having so many many problems . Most of the staff were wonderful , waiters , spa , room staff . There is usually a que at the front desk , check out he night before because it takes a while to sort out all the things added to your bill that you did not have !! A little more customer service who go a long way . Do not get pushed into a time share with " todays offer only deal " take time and decide

Room Tip: Get a room near where you will be each day. For example. Adult pool , beach or activities area . It...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank LUV-TO-TRAVEL-SB
Write a ReviewReviews (3,138)

Reviewed 26 January 2013

They have you at an unfair advantage because they get you after you've been up since 4 am travelling to the hotel. They tell you to leave your bags outside and go inside to check in and then fellows will help you to your room with your bags. What they are really doing is setting you up. You go in to the counter and check in, then they give you this little piece of paper " essentially you may or may not need it again to take out a towel at the pool" and they tell you to give it to the ladies by the door and they will take care of you from there. The ladies by the door are the timeshare group and they are ruthless. We told them right up front " WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN TIMESHARES) but they insist the is not timeshare and " If you only give my $20.00 and go to the morning breakfast" I can get paid. I felt sorry for the women and gave the $20.00 which is given back at the end of the timeshare rant. They have the " first guy" walk you through the grounds and try his hardest to sell you and then it's onto the heavy hitter from the US and finally into the room with the guy with the calculator and finally 90 minutes later you are expelled out the other end just shaking your head wondering how the heck you got roped in the whole deal.
On the positive side, and there were lots, the grounds are beautiful and kept very clean, the pool are lovely and warm, lots of lounges and towels available. They do seem to have cut the amount of staff they had though as when we were in Puerto Vallarta we always had a waiter coming back and forth offering drinks but at this place you really have to go to the bar and get your own. The waiter circulates about once every few hours.
The rooms are lovely but actually they are a little too big. I know it sounds wierd but the front room area is so large that it echoes in there. We felt as though we should have brought others with us.
We did go into town three times, once on the tour ( very good) and twice just on the shuttle. They other hotel is not as big by far but seems nice. Good bar area on teh beach and good spot for a quick lunch.
The bed was great. I asked for a kingsize and was told they did not have one available but as part of the timeshare ladies efforts they did manage to find one. They have down mattress toppers which are great. I had asked for the top floor and again the timeshare lady was the one that made that happen. That is why I felt sorry for her and was willing to give the $20 and go for the presentation.
Do be advised that all alcohol IS NOT covered under the all inclusive. They call it a" deluxe meal plan" and if you want name brands, you pay. We went to Kelly's Bar and my husband ordered a double Baileys and that ended up costing us $16.00 us. Also if you are not into hunting or the " lodge look" with stuffed animals on the wall, do not go to Kelly's bar!
All in all it was well worth the money but I would not recommend it to my adult children because the median age of the guests at this hotel is around 60 I would say. Nothing wrong with it , just saying!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ItsmeBurnaby
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We stayed in this resort for the first time in 2012. As soon as you are there you are greeted warmly. The room was too far for me to walk to and the very next day we were moved to a lovely location. The pools are clean and my opinion is that other than Los Ayla the beach is perfect. it is a walking and swimming beach. There are a lot of Americans and Canadians there every year and they are the BEST. I would love to go yearly and hopefully are. The staff and all are attentive, hospitable and superb. Awesome 2 week stay. Am trying to have a family reunion there this year.

Room Tip: Third floor is great. Beautiful sunsets and close to elevators. Would like anything on the first flo...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wendy B
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I came down for a short time and returned yesterday. The staff was warm and welcoming. Grounds are beautiful and well taken care of.

It was unusually cold but enjoyed warming up in the outdoor and spa hot tubs. While there, met a whole lot of people from Canada who were very nice!

Definitely, make use of the tours that are offered where you are picked up at the hotel! I really recommend the Zip Line Canopy tour, and the tour to Stone Island. They are worth the money.

The view from my balcony was stunning!The room needs updating on the software (new bedspreads, pillows, etc.). But other than that it was a perfect stay!

Thanks Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the reception area....then you do not have to walk too much!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank JeanieJ
Reviewed 11 January 2013

My husband and I have been owners since our first trip to PBEB in 2005. The salesman was right, it's an investment in leisure. My husband has a very stressful job and needs a place to recharge and relax. This is the place. The grounds are beautiful with well-tended gardens and fountains. The swim-up bar is fun and a good meeting place with other laid-back souls. The food is getting better every year as they learn what us Americans like to eat. We have never gotten sick. I love the gym and the pilates classes (I am usually the only attendee so I get special attention.) I love walking on the beach, reading my books, sketching and watercoloring. This May will be the third time I am bringing my mother along. She is 86 years old. It feels safe for all of us. I can't wait to bring my grandchild.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank Suzi5245
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2013

Dear Suzi,

We are so glad to hear our resort it's a place for you and your family to come and relax, also that you enjoyed the food and your stay in Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay.

We'll be more than happy to have you and your mother back again anytime soon.

Roberto Tussi, GM

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We just returned from a one week stay in the Villa's with 2 other couples and had a pleasant and relaxing week. We prearranged a private transfer to the hotel and again from hotel to airport. He also stopped on our way to the resort for 1 hour at Soriana so we could get some groceries for the week. The cost was 250.00 U.S.
Check in was smooth and efficient but our villa wasn't ready for about an hour so they took all our groceries a head and even put them away for us while we went down to the pool area and had drinks and a bite to eat. When our room was ready they came for us and took us to the villa which is a bit of a hike from the main hotel area. We were around the otherside of the future golf course so didn't get morning sun until about 11 am and it was a bit chilly and windy most days until the sun came around.
At check in they did try very hard to get us to come to breakfast the next morning for an information session. At one point we said sure just to get them to stop pestering us but then they said they would need 20.00 deposit per person which we would get back when we showed up and also an in print of our credit cards. We told them that wasn't going to happen. Eventually they told us to just show up the next morning if we wanted and they would give us a 200.00 resort credit per couple for 90 minutes of our time. We opted to not do the all inclusive as we have been to Mazatlan several times and enjoy going out to dine. Anyways we decided the next morning to go even though none of us was interested in purchasing a timeshare which we told them from the start and they seemed fine with that. I really had to keep the timeshare person on schedule as we could see that 90 minutes was really going to be more like 150 minutes. We got out after 120 minutes and collected out 600.00 worth of credits.

Our villa was beautiful with 1 huge master suite and 2 smaller bdrms that both had their own bathrooms. The kitchen was huge with most everything you need to cook a meal. We ate out every night but had breafast and some lunches at the villa. We had our own heated pool and hot tub with a large patio, loungers and dinning table outside. It was great to just lay around during the day relaxing, swimming and enjoying the solitude of the area. The maid came in daily to clean and we always had plenty of fresh towels for the pool and bathrooms. If we wanted to go anywhere we just called a head for a cart to pick us up and that service was excellent. We only went to the main pool and hotel area a couple times as it was a bit chilly and very windy during the day. The pool was huge and one of the nicest i have seen with lots of loungers. Pool service for drinks was excellent but food service at the pool was slow and just so so for taste. We ate one night at the resort and the food was good as was the service. We did one breakfast from the menu and it was also very good and service was excellent. A few nights after we returned from our dinners out we went into the lounge for drinks and enjoyed some live music. I enjoyed the spa it was beautiful.

The grounds of the resort were kept up nicely and always saw plenty of staff working hard to make it so nice. The front desk staff were very informative and always pleasant. All the staff we encountered during our week were pleasant, friendly and smiling when greeted. We took the bus shuttle into town a couple times and that was convenient otherwise we always called for a small truck to take us in for dinners and back. We dined at some fabulous restaurants, shopped and enjoyed the beach in the golden zone. I would have to say that since our last visit 5 years ago it was sad to see so many shops closed down and so little tourists in the area. I have always loved Mazatlan and will defiantly return some time again. This resort is a far ways out but with a large group and having the villa it seemed to fit everyones needs. If it was just my husband and i then we would prefer to stay more in the golden zone area. I noticed on their website that the prices for various rooms here were a bit expensive considering you then have to pay extra for the all inclusive. You have an option to do a 3 day all inclusive if you like but i wouldn't do the whole week as there are just to many fabulous dinning options around the area and not to take advantage of that would be missing out on the Mazatlan experience. The price listed for the 3 bdrm villa in January was just over 1400.00 U.S. per night. I would never pay this!!! You could rent a nice house with a pool for much less. A friend of ours gave us a week free in his villa so we couldn't turn it down. Overall is was a very nice resort, a bit pricy if you are paying the going rate but if you want that large resort feel then this place is probably the nicest in Mazatlan. It has lots of ammenities but i still found the value for what you would pay was poor.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 4_the_record
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I have been meaning to write a review for quite sometime. We have been owners since the begining. The folage (bushes tree's etc) are all over grown. Growing onto the sidewalk areas, growing onto the patios etc. I personally got their knife and on the second floor started cutting limbs from the window area of the kitchen area to have a better view. The sheets are know longer changed daily as well as we did not receive any candy at night and the beds were not turned down nightly due to lack of staffing. Know more swans or pretty towel decorations. At the towel counters we got our own towels. Especially at the Adult pool. We were on our own. The covers on the couch and chairs (blue) after 14-15 years needs to be changed out. Too many people on those couches and chairs for to long and difinately needs changed.Inside units showing its age. Caulking inside tubs etc are yellow/cracking etc. We found a a VERY large roach in our kitchen drawer that I chased for 2 days until he found his resting place. Coffe Pot not working etc. A lovely place. Just needs to be refurbished. Badly. The first ten buildings built needs an over haul. With Maintenance Fee's climbing Owner's need to see progress. Lots of wear and tear. Do we love Emerald Bay ? Yes.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple