We spent three days in Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Resort in mid-March, 2013. I was excited to go due to all the beautiful pictures and good reviews listed on TripAdvisor, but sadly, when we arrived we found a once-grand, sprawling and somewhat overgrown huge resort with a skeleton staff who were very disinterested, bored and non-attentive, with no sense of urgency. They were more interested in talking to each other than in serving the guests. I felt like I was interrupting a frat party of boys every time I wanted a drink. It made me feel very uncomfortable.
Most of the resort was empty but at the front desk we were given the choice of immediately obtaining a room far in the back or having to wait for a front central room. We waited, and although room 1515 was huge and clean, the bathroom had grey, foul-smelling water that made us feel dirty AFTER we had showered. We had to open the windows to air out the room because of the terrible odor. It was so bad that I ended up washing my face and hair with bottled water. My $48.00 Mac face wash was stolen out of our room on day two, which was very disappointing. 1515 was an oddly laid out room. The bedroom was much too far from the window that opened, which made it and the ensuite very stuffy and warm. There is such a thing as being too big; I found 1515 too big.
The whole resort was understaffed and cheaply run. They wanted to nickel and dime the guests to death. We were even charged for the cups holding our coffee and were told to not lose them. Really!!! There was a very tiny Internet Café with free service that was S-L-O-W and only worked within a six-step-sized section of the reception area. If we wanted better service, it came at the cost of an additional $30.00 per day. Most of the staff were not upbeat, smiling or service oriented, so it made the ones who were shine very brightly. Kudos to Ivan, the bartender in Kelly’s…he is a rock star! He is sooo good at his job, makes the best martinas in Pueblo Bonito and was the highlight of the staff, for sure. He should work somewhere else! The booze throughout the entire resort was ‘well quality’, except for the premi drinks at Kelly’s Bar, but we had to pay for those above and beyond what was covered by the AI bracelet. One evening, our after dinner drinks for two set us back $65.00. I was ready to leave after the first day but we had already paid for three days/two nights so we stayed.
This is one resort I would never go back to unless it was taken over by some fun, smiley, Carnival Cruise Line staff. It’s amazing how much a well run resort with friendly staff can influence what a patron is willing to tip. I would rather stay in a clean, smaller, less posh resort as long as I felt safe, welcome and pampered. Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay did not offer that!
Huge property; with a bit of TLC it could regain some of its former splendor.
Lots of huge clean pools and great ones for families and kids
Huge rooftop decks that were great for pictures
Most of the food was good. Bistro had the best; it was kind of hidden but worth the walk.
Very slow free internet in a tiny area only
Very expensive better Internet for $30.00 per day
Disinterested skeleton staff
Low end crappy booze
Poorly run main restaurant
Sporadic availability of towels
Copious amounts of blackbirds; if you are afraid of birds, stay away!
Reservations were not honored
If you are not a walker, don’t come here!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Each suite comes with a panoramic ocean view from your private balcony and has amenities like outdoor Jacuzzis, a beauty salon with mini-spa and tennis courts nearby. Relax below 150-year-old mangroves that surround a free-form pool and stroll the shoreline by the bay. Located next world famous sport fishing waters, golf courses, and the Gold Zone, you can enjoy any number of nearby activities on both land and water. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Hotel Mazatlan
- Mazatlan Emerald Bay
- Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay Mazatlan
- Emerald Bay Mazatlan