“Summer visit to Mazatlan”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Murphys, California
“Summer visit to Mazatlan”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We are time share owners at this resort. We were there in April of this year. What we noticed between April and June is a drastic reduction in service personnel. There are far fewer waiters around the pool. Is this to reduce staff and/or reduce the number of orders that can be placed by visitors who have purchased an all-inclusive. Even the staff admits a reduction. In both cases the owner is saving money.

The grounds are not as clean and again it's noticeable that staff is reduced. So what is driving all of this? Is it because Mr. Coppel, the owner is building another large project in Los Cabos? The emerald bay owners were promised a golf course but it's been ten years. But the new development in Los Cabos has a new Jack Nicklaus golf course under construction.

The rates in the Spa are higher than in the US. They also add a 16% taxes and 3% valet fee!! On top of all of this, you are billed 'donation' to The Letty Coppel foundation, what ever it is they do with the cash.

The rooms are nice with views. Only time will tell if the owner is going to walk away in favor of Los Cabos.

Room Tip: The second story of the two-story buildings near the Bistro restaurant are good locations if you wan...
1 Thank 2lapiedad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Eagle Point, Oregon
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my first trip to Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. After check-in, the timeshare representative did ask me if I would be interested in listening to her presentation. I told her that I wasn't interested and was never bothered again.

My room was beautiful. I love to 2 closets. Also, the bathroom has a make-up mirror. (This is a great amenity for old eyes.) The complimentary bath products include shampoo, body wash and lotion, which are all very nice, except there is no conditioner for your hair. The towels and washcloths are fluffy and soft. There is also a retractable clothesline in the shower.

The beds and pillows are comfortable. My junior suite had a balcony, which I really enjoyed. (Most of the Master suites do not have balconies.) It had 2 lounge chairs, but the cushions were weathered and torn. I still enjoyed the view every morning while drinking my coffee.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful. The pools are awesome, although the water is as warm as bath water. Enrique is the best pool waiter. My cup was rarely empty. Try the spicy margaritas.

The food in every restaurant and poolside was delicious. The service was great. The only drawback is waiting to have to sign your bill after every meal and/or drink. We had six people in our party and four different rooms. This seemed to be confusing most of the time. Maybe a better way would be to have a scan bar on your wrist band or key card that could be scanned by the waiter. (You have to have both of these at all times, anyway.) One receipt could be printed and slipped under you door every evening, so that you can tip accordingly and at your convenience.

I did have an incident one morning. My cousin and I were walking toward to lobby on the walkway close to the adult only pool. I was distracted by this beautiful green gecko running across the sidewalk, when a service vehicle came flying up the WALKWAY. If my cousin hadn't have pulled me out of the way, the service truck would have hit me. The worker did stop and said "sorry" and then went on his way.

I took advantage of the spa. Chris, my massage therapist, was wonderful. The spa is fabulous. They have these different showers, tubs, and a sauna that is out of this world. This is a nice way to spoil yourself for a couple hours.

In summary, this is a beautiful resort, with delicious food and comfortable accommodations. I highly recommend it.

California
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Too hot to sit on the balcony and not enough shade around the pool. This time of year, the resort was full of Mexican families and pools were crowded and noisy. Food at Emerald Bay mediocre (meal plan); we preferred eating at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan.

Room Tip: Don't go in June!
1 Thank TrvlAgtRet
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This is a beautiful resort and quite elegant, yet not pretentious. It felt very safe, and I was able to completely relax. We did the all-inclusive and found the food quite good and the waiters around the pool very attentive and generous. On our first morning at breakfast at The Bistro, after ordering our huevos rancheros (Pueblo Bonito style- yum!) the waiter welcomed us "home." We were always able to get food and drink (between 7 am and our bedtime), but next time I'll bring my own coffee to make in the room.
I was able to stay shaded because I woke up very early (before 7) and established myself at my spot by the beach/pool. There really wasn't enough shaded property for everyone at the resort though, and the sun in June is HOT!
My 14 year old son enjoyed the beach volleyball and Jenga and other games (although you have to listen closely for the announcements and pay attention to your own watch to catch them). The free shuttle to the tourist area is convenient and comfortable and from there you can get an open air taxi to the downtown market for about 80-100 pesos. We did that only on one day.
My husband snorkeled every day, but the area around the resort is disappointing for snorkelers; remedy this with a boat trip to Deer Island.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

The Dalles, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stay there 2 times a year. Spring and Fall. I love the quiet of the adult pool for reading and relaxing. The food is great but most of the time we do our own cooking in the room. We like having the shuttle that drops us in town at the bus where we use it to go all over town for a reasonable charge. The staff at PBE are super. They remember our names after 6 months of not being there.

Room Tip: quieter rooms are by the adult pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tvpv
Sacramento
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The staff was absolutely wonderful and the atmosphere was very relaxing. All the pool staff were very attentive and the activities were especially fun- don't miss the water aerobics and trivia games with Eduardo! Best vacation we have ever had, we will definitely come back soon :)

• Stayed June 2014
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

While we had a nice relaxing vacation, we don't feel that the resort lived up to expectations. The furnishings are outdated and dirty. We are glad we didn't have anyone expected to sleep on the sofa bed in the living area. It was not even comfortable to sit on. We had to request twice for the floor to be mopped. Our feet were dirty after walking barefoot inside. There was a cigarette butt and bird droppings on the balcony that were never cleaned. Bird dropping were prevalent throughout the resort. Poolside tables were always dirty. While we had a few good meals, menu offerings were limited. Poolside service at Emerald Bay was slow and inattentive. We spent 2 days at the pool at the Mazatlan location. Antonio was the best...exactly the kind of customer service expected. Fortunately, we know to not respond to the messages for us to pick up our "welcome package", so we avoid the timeshare gauntlet. Airport transportation and transportation to sister resort were clockwork!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julia721
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Reviewer,

We are very glad to hear that you had a very relaxing holiday and that you enjoyed our facilities in the beautiful town of Mazatlan, knowing that Antonio met your service expectations. As well as our prompt shuttle service between hotels. We apologize for the omissions in the services that you mentioned here, we are working on correcting them. We appreciate the time you took to review us and share your experiences and hope to welcome you anytime in the near future.

Warm Regards,