“Great place!!! but the time share is bait and switch”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We just came back from a great week vacation at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay with my wife and 5 yr old son, 2 yr old daughter and 6 month old son. Check in was a bit cumbersome because many people arrived at the same time. All in all it was not bad. We opted for the all inclusive package, well worth the money. We were off to our room because it was ready. The room was nice we did not have a crib right away so we put 2 chairs together and made a "Mexican pack and play". We went to the Bistro the first night for dinner. Shout out to Jose "GET THE FLAN!!!!!" My wife was the only one who listened to Jose. It was a show at the end of dinner. He lights a glass of liquor on fire and camelized the flan. Jose showed the kids magic tricks and took great care of us. Great food. The next day we went to the time share presentation in the morning and I'll get to that later. We made it to the pool and Enrique was our waiter, he took care of us all day. He quickly learned what drinks we liked and kept them coming. Each day we went to the pool Enrique saw us coming and the drinks were not far behind. On our second to last day we told Enrique we were going down to the beach during low tide to look at the tide pools and explore. The kids loved this, but after an hour daddy was thirsty. I turned around and saw Enrique waking down the beach with 2 tequila sunrises and a bucket of beer. Enrique you ROCK!!!!! Are you kidding me?? He found us on the beach!!!!

The second day we opted to go to the other Pueblo Bonito in town.The shuttle leave Emerald Bay ever hour. It's much smaller but very nice and the beach is so much better for little kids. There were no palapas available so we rented a table and chairs for 20.00. It was worth it for the 6 month old to have shade. We headed to the pool in the afternoon and the swim up bar is under a waterfall. My 5 yr old loved swimming up to the bar and ordering chocolate smoothies. We ate a Cilantro's for dinner and the food was great with an amazing ocean view. The shuttle ride back was good and it was a good day.

My son and I decided to go Zip lining with Hauna Coa canopy tour. There are a total of 9 zip lines. It was about a 40 minute drive to the place. The guides were all great. The ride up to the lines in the 6 wheels vehicle was a ride in itself. So much fun! Then we got to the lines after a bit of instructions. All the equipment is from France and inspected daily. I felt very safe. My son was a bit nervous in the beginning. I was able to talk him into going and after the first line he loved every minute. He even went upside down on the 8th line. After the zip lining we were taken to a tequila factory for a tour and tequila tasting. Great day!!!

In the evenings I would head up to Kelly's bar with my friend and Oscar was fantastic. He was great to talk to and filled us in on all the inside info at the resort. The Mexican and the Carnival shows were very entertaining for our little ones. It's worth going but make reservations ahead of time. With our friends we were a party of 8. The grounds were beautiful and the staff were extremely nice. We enjoyed our strolls around the resort but quickly learned we could call for a ride to the Bistro and it was even better. (Breakfast burrito at the Bistro was great). Bring bug spay the mosquitos will eat you alive.

Now the time share. I must start by saying my wife and I seek out time share presentations. We have probably been to at least 3 dozen. They do not bother us and we don't mind the pressure. At check in we had to make our reservations for the time share before we got to our rooms. We were told by Viviana that we would be given a 150.00 resort credit for going to the time share presentation. My wife asked and it was 150.00 off the final bill. The time share presentation was nice the 2800 sq ft villa was beautiful. There was no high pressure and we said no thank you. My wife was going to go to the spa but we decided to have pictures taken on the beach of our family. Victor was by the pool and was wearing a Pueblo Bonito shirt. It was going to be 120.00 for the pictures. My friends wife ended up going to the spa. At check out my bill was 134.00. Now I know my wife spent a couple of dollars in the store but I did not know why it was 134.00. I was told that the pictures were not included. Victor was a "3rd party" and was not included. I had the total 150.00 left and nothing to spend it on. This was never told to us until the bus was waiting to go to the airport. My friends wife got 15% off her spa treatment when he booked it. When he asked why his bill was so high they said the spa treatment did not count because they could not do a discount on top of a discount. They totally scammed us. They knew what they were doing. I asked to speak to the manager and I was given Roberto. I explained the situation and all he said was I'm sorry. He had a chance to make things right and failed miserably. My advice DON'T GO TO THE PRESENTATION!!!!!! Bait and switch. Hope this was informative.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank daisyeln

Reviewed 18 August 2014

This resort is on the north side of town and not anywhere close to the center. But we didn't care.
We liked almost everything. We enjoyed great sunset views from our 1bdrm apartment.
We also opted to go to a presentation and were awarded the food plan and some other things. The food plan is not necessary, really, definitely not worth the full price, except if you like to drink a lot of alcoholic beverages. We don't.
There is a bus that takes you half way into town and from there you can take the local bus anywhere for about 87cents.
The old town is rather small and I was a bit disappointed, but the people were very friendly and I felt completely safe.
One constructive feedback is that the living room was only sparingly decorated and only had one single rather uncomfortable sofa. But that was the only disappointment. The beach was also not usable when we were there as there baby stingrays all over. One beach goer got painfully stung and they had to call a doctor. So we stayed at the beautiful big pool.
The staff and service was great. Everybody spoke English and it was always fun to try to speak Spanish with the staff.
Overall, we had a wonderful and relaxing vacation here. If I come back to Mazatlan, this would be the standard to measure all other hotels by.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2014

An excellent hotel in all. The only complain I have is with the golf camp. It is not working. You have to go elsewhere.
The best swimming pool and gardens I've ever seen. There is an adult swimming pool, quiet music and no children, and there are another ones for younger people too with activities all day and modern music.
All restaurants are excellent. The rooms are spacious and you can schedule a shuttle for a visit to Pueblo Bonito, a sister resort (an excellent one too). If you prefer another kind of beach you can go there.
I am a time share owner in Emeral Bay and I am waiting the next time to go there.

Room Tip: I prefer a room with a sea view. If you don't like to walk or you can't, choose an area near...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
PuebloBonitoResorts, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind remarks and for taking the time to review us, we truly value your comments and look forward to welcome you next year!

Warm Regards,
David Tussi, GM

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I can't say enough good things about this Resort. It was one of the greatest weeks I've ever had in my life. The greatest customer service I've ever received at any place. The pools are beautiful and the ocean view takes your breath away. There is so much to see and do at this resort. It truly feels like you're at an oasis I didn't want to leave.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Vincent D

Dear VincentD,

We truly appreciate your kind remarks and the time you took to review us, we are so happy to hear you had a nice and relaxing stay with us. Looking forward to welcome you anytime soon!

Warm Regards,
David Tussi, GM

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My daughter & I stayed at Emerald Bay for four nights in May. While the location is a bit remote and the beach is not well-developed, the resort is luxurious and beautiful. The grounds are amazing and well-tended. We stayed in a luxurious 1-BR, 2B suite with a large living area and plenty of storage space. Unfortunately, there was no outdoor seating area, but we did have a lovely view of the pool and grounds. Be prepared for quite a bit of walking, as the resort is huge.

Generally we enjoy sitting at the beach, but there were not many palapas or seating areas. The beach and water don't look very inviting. We did walk a bit north on the beach and collected some shells, but walking was a bit difficult in the soft sand.

Most of our days were spent by the main pool where we received great service by the waitstaff. Shady areas were scarce and we had to get out fairly early to find a spot with an umbrella. They could definitely use more, especially at the adult poot! There were daily activities at the main pool: water aerobics, water vollyball, trivia games, but they were not obnoxious.

We did the all-inclusive option since the resort is far from town and didn't want to be bothered with a rental car, taxi or the shuttle bus. The breakfast at LeCordeliere was fantastic with service better on some days than other. Most nights we had dinner at Bistro, which we enjoyed. The menu is the same every night, but we were able to find enough variety for the 4 nights we were there. I think the all-inclusive was a good value and like that it's an option and not a requirement.

We enjoyed our mother-daughter trip to Mazatlan and I would definitely come back to Emerald Bay, though I wish the beach was nicer.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cabushka
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was one of the best resorts I have stayed at! It was very clean and the views are beautiful! The rooms are very spacious and the staff are very helpful! The food was delicious! I would recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is my favorite hotel by far in Mexico. I've been to Cozumel, playa del Carmen, p. Vallarta, ixtapa and cabo. The grounds are superbly attended to, the hotel is off the beaten path and very lovely. Food is WONDERFUL and I love the option of doing all inclusive or not. Not a lot of hotels give u the option anymore. Staff is so polite and you feel like you are a first class guest. Beds and rooms are awesome- very roomy and comfy. We drink the water from the tap... It's purified. This is my favorite of the pueblo bonito hotels.. It's decor and feel are light and airy and what a Mexican hotel should be. Some of the others are a bit stuffy. At night the hotel is quiet which we prefer. Kelly's bar is hopping into the wee hours though. The spa is very nice also- one of the best I've been to....it has won many awards. If you wait mid-week, they usually come around the pool advertising spa specials and that is the time to book it. I've gotten several massages, a body wrap and facial. All were excellent.

We love this hotel so much we actually got married there a few years ago. We had a group of about 50 and everyone had the best time. Everything from the food, to the flowers to the decor was stunning. The wedding coordinator, Wendy was so accommodating and sweet. She was a gem. Highly recommend this hotel and we plan to go back in March 2015 with our new little son.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family