“Best Hotel in Mazatlan”

Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in Mazatlan
los angeles
“Best Hotel in Mazatlan”
Reviewed 13 March 2007

I've been to Mazatlan several times, and this hotel is the best by far from all other hotels. Although it is about thirty minutes from the city and party scene, it is well worth the cab fare (which really is only $10). The pools were spectacular, the rooms were clean and well kept. Customer service can improve a bit, especially considering how much you pay to stay there, but you can't have it all. The restaurants were expensive, but food was great. You are looking for a quite, romantic get away or even a family vacation with the city not too far away, this is the place.

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank Garciadn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
Lewis Center, Ohio
Reviewed 10 March 2007

Emerald Bay is by far the nicest resort in Mazatlan. The entire hotel is immaculate. The staff is attentive, but not obnoxious. The resort is set away from everything else. However, the free shuttle to the sister hotel really cut down on taxi fares. My sister and I had the opportunity to use the spa. The spa itself is small, but the service makes up for that many times over. The rooms were very spacious, with great maid and turndown service. The main pool is very large, so it never felt crowded. The adult pool was allitle too quiet, but still very beautiful. I would highly recommend two restaurants: Casa del Fondue and Casa Loma. Try the Caramel Crepes at Casa Loma and the Mexican Fondue (made with tequilla, white wine,and dried chiles) at Casa del Fondue. The hotel really pushes timeshare presentations, but we told them we did not qualify and they left us alone. The only negative to this resort is the beach. While every room has an ocean view that is beautiful, the actual beach is not. The hotel beach is not very nice. The water is rough, the beach is a bit dirty and had a smell of sewage. The beach in front of the sister hotel is much nicer! Overall, the hotel had a relaxing and serene feel to it.

• Liked — The spa and the pool
  • Disliked — The beach
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank R.J.P.Ohio
minneapolis, mn
Reviewed 27 February 2007

My husband and I spent a long weekend at Pueblo Bonita Emerald Bay, February 22-25, 2007.

We found the resort to be very isolated. On the good side, it is very quiet, safe, there are no beach vendors, and it attracts people who are happy with a quieter location. More than 3 days might have felt somewhat confining. There is a shuttle to a sister hotel in town which runs on the hour. (It is not a quick jaunt.)

The resort as a whole is 5 years old, with some buildings being newer, and villas and a golf course under construction alongside the existing buildings. Unlike the typical U-shaped Mexican beach-front hotel, the resort covers a lot of land, with 4 or 5 buildings, 3 and 4 stories each, situated in a row. All rooms have ocean views. Both the master and junior suites are large--the junior suites are very spacious-high ceilings, very clean, and not terribly noise proof-- vertically (footsteps, dropped items, moving furniture).

The grounds are lush, with winding walkways and stairways and some unexpected Roman style statues. The pool area is very large. The main pool is a free-form with an infinity edge, with various "bays", so it feels like a number of small connected pools. No problem with getting a chair. Good poolside service. There are some resort-type games, but they are not obnoxious at all--apart from the announcements, you would scarcely know they were happening unless you chose to sit in that area.

It is a good beach for a long walk. We experienced windy weather, so there was no swimming and the kayaks only went out once, and it looked rough.

The food is fine--pretty standard Mexican resort fare, from what I have experienced. The resort does not seem to offer an all-inclusive option, and I felt there was some vagueness about some of the prices--sometimes a 10% discount was given, sometimes not...the buffet was encouraged at all times, but I think there was also a menu--you just had to ask for it.

It is a nice place. The staff work hard to be really friendly and helpful. The atmosphere is pretty laid back. It was not a party-type resort when we visited. I'd recommend it for a quiet sun break.

About the airport. Our experience was a pretty intense hustle right out of baggage claim, with a sales pitch to get us to visit other properties, and be rewarded with a free taxi ride--the hustler we had would have talked for a long time and it was a complicated proposition--we walked away and took the cab. $35 US and about 30 minutes.

Checking in for our US bound flight was much easier than at Puerto Vallarta--5 minutes instead of more than and hour at PV.

Also, Mazatlan is a working city with tourism as its secondary industry, so you will see a different Mexico than we have seen in PV or Cancun.

8 Thank nonamesforme
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 26 February 2007

First I should say that my wife and I are definitely not big fans of resort hotels, they are usually too big, tons of kids, it's loud, and there really is no privacy. However, PUEBLO BONITO EMERALD BAY is a beautiful property and we were able to really relax and enjoy ourselves. The entire staff at this hotel is incredible and they all have such fun personalities.
Every morning we would take a walk down the entire beach, which is a long walk, and we maybe saw a total of five people. And it was 8:00 in the morning, not early by any stretch! Also, there are NO vendors on this beach, it is completely serene with beautiful sunsets and incredible waves. The staff at this hotel does a great job at trying to keep this very very large hotel in excellent shape. Obviously this is a great place for families because there are a couple of pools and they have a couple of very good restaurants. Also, one of the nice things about this place is that you really don't have to carry around your wallet. Just tell them your room number and they will charge it to your room. I would highly recommend bringing a wad of one dollar bills, though, as it is nice to have tips for the servers and maids. They will accept US and Mexican money, but I think they actually prefer US dollars. We stayed in a Junior Suite and it was fantastic. I left the patio door open every night and fell asleep to the sounds of the crashing surf. INCREDIBLE! Every room at this hotel overlooks the ocean, so you will not be disappointed, unless you're stuck on the lowest level which you might not be able to see the entire coast. I recommend requesting a room in Buildings H, I, or J as they all have basically unobstructed view of the ocean. It's also way quieter in those buildings because it's a little way from the large pool. I've tried to download the map but it's hard to read. Just remember that the quieter rooms are located in the three buildings to the most right in the picture above where it says "Pueblo Bonito."
Anyway, I think this place is really nice and the people are very friendly. There is a shuttle to the other sister property and a cab ride downtown from there, which is about five bucks from Pueblo Bonito, not Emerald Bay.
I think the food here is pretty darn good, considering how massive this place is and they have a buffet every morning if you so desire. Also they will pack you a lunch pack if you're planning on moving around for the day.
I highly recommend checking out the deli as it has basically everything you need and is MUCH cheaper than the restaurants. They have panini sandwiches, an espresso machine, tons of food and snacks and breakfast items, etc. If you're staying for a week, be sure to check that out.
I would give this place 5 stars, but the only thing that kind of messed it up for me was that when we arrived we were shown to our room and it had two double beds! We had requested a King and obviously the hotel was booked so my wife and I were a little cramped on such a small bed, which was not cool.
But the next day they immediately put us into a King bed and all was well. That was the only hiccup. We managed to escape the Timeshare presentation, which was great for us because we're not interested, but there are tons of people who are so they will hit you up when you arrive. Be ready. Oh, the spa is very very nice. I highly recommend this hotel, it's definitely THE nicest in Mazatlan and totally away from all of the craziness of the city, very peaceful.
I do recommend one restaurant in Mazatlan city, it is called "Un Rinconcito de Espana en Mazatlan." It is a Spanish tapas restaurant and it is incredible and very inexpensive. Also it's a very stylish and hip place with Jazz music at night.
Have fun!

• Liked — All rooms with ocean view. Fact that property seemed to be wheelchair friendly!!!
  • Disliked — Given double bed without explanation until room shown to us.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank hankypanky505
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 11 February 2007

We got married at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay and the entire situation was a nightmare. The rooms smelled really musty and the service was awful. Also, the restaurant food was not very good. They did have great pools and the gardens were kept nice but I would not recommend Pueblo Bonito to anyone, especially for a wedding.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed September 2006
6 Thank macy_c
Minneapolis
Reviewed 3 February 2007

We had an enjoyable 3 night stay at the Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay during late January 2007. The PB is a large, secluded and attractive resort located in Nuevo Mazatlan. The PB and its sister property in Mazatlan (Golden Zone) are part of the 7 member Pueblo Bonito hotel group in Mexico. The PB group sets out and delivers an upscale Mexican resort experience that includes large, clean, and comfortable rooms. We were very lucky and stayed in room 2019 (junior suite) situated in the newest building and away from all the action around the 2 hotel pools.

Our ground floor room looked out directly onto manicured grounds and a great view of the Pacific ocean. Since there were no bugs and the weather was mild and dry (highs in the upper 70s) we were able to keep the patio doors open and listen to the waves crashing onto the shore. Very relaxing.

Though I am not fond of large, impersonal resorts, I enjoyed the hotel amenities and found the staff to be very friendly and the food above average. Having a fully functional kitchen and 2 onsite delis was a definate plus. The neo-classical architecture, infinity pools, and many water features are also definate pluses. On the downside, the timeshare pitch in the airport shuttle, the usual 'resort' activities around the pool (e.g. china painting, ping pong, amateur contests) reminded me why I usually avoid large resorts that try to appeal to broad segments of the travel industry.

Some practical information... A junior suite is a better value than a luxury suite, excellent room service allows you to avoid large crowds and buffet dining, and the airport shuttle represents a good value at US$10 per person one-way for the 45 minute ride if you can stomach the sales pitch. The only alternative to the airport shuttle (must be booked in advance) is a taxi which costs US$36 one-way. Room rates are very reasonable and can be booked via many online travel sites.

• Liked — View of the Pacific Ocean from our room
  • Disliked — Timeshare sales pitch in the airport shuttle
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Strato377
Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 30 January 2007

What a beautiful resort! I love the fact that it's secluded in Emerald Bay without any beach vendors in sight! The free hourly shuttle to the sister resort in Mazatlan is an added bonus! The room was immaculate and every room is an ocean view. The food was good, and I really enjoyed the wraps from the onsite deli for lunch! The pools and landscaping at this resort are amazing! I also liked the free sauna!

• Liked — Very laid back and clean!
  • Stayed June 2006, travelled with friends