“Our vary first stay at a resort.......WOW!”

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
Wichita, Kansas
“Our vary first stay at a resort.......WOW!”
Reviewed 30 November 2010

When we planned a trip to Mazatlan we decided on this resort based entirely on it's web site. The fact it looked beautiful and has so much information about the resort, we selected it. Another thing I had to have, was a method of travel from and to the airport. You can schedule that right on their web site.

This was a fantastic experience and my wife and I loved every second of it. It is every bit as beautiful as it seemed and a whole lot more. If you insist on quality this is the place for you. If you love great service you will love this resort. If you love walking in a lovely garden that includes not only palm trees but hundreds of types of vegetation, included many varieties of flowers, you will love this resort. If you like the idea that every room has a balcony that not only faces the ocean, but in a direction that will not have sun directly on it, you will love this resort. If you love to walk on a beach you will love this resort. It has chairs on the beach for just relaxing, or you can walk for miles if you choose. The weather this November was perfect.

Every building is slightly higher than the one in front of it, so if your room is above the second floor you get a fantastic view of the ocean. No building has more than four floors. Every room in the resort faces the ocean. If you are on the first or second floor you have one of two beautiful pools in front of you and are only steps away from the beach front.

One of us must use a walker to get around. At first I was concerned that it would limit where we could go because the resort is built on the ocean but takes advantage of the terrain which is a hill side. I did not need not to be concerned as wherever there are stairs, there is a ramp around it.

There are three great restaurants on the property. The service at all of them is fantastic and within a short time you will feel that you know the staff well. They are very friendly and will do whatever they can to make your stay comfortable.

If you care to go into the city there is a shuttle that will take you there, and bring you back, every half hour most all day long. There are tours that you can take advantage of if you wish. You can read other reviews about the great restaurants and things to see and do in Mazatlan. We did not take advantage of that as we loved the resort too much.
I very much recommend this resort. It is fantastic in every way.

3 Thank mykando

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (471)
Canada
Reviewed 29 November 2010

I just returned from a one week stay at PBEB and absolutely loved it!
LOCATION: the resort is about 15 minutes from Mazatlan proper and that ensured a quiet property with no sounds (traffic, horns, loud street music) other than that of the waves. The shuttle from PBEB to PBM was always on time and the vehicle was air conditioned with comfortable seats. A taxi from PBEB to Maz was $16 and from PBM to places within a 15 minute ride was about $6.
CHECK IN/OUT: very quick and efficient on the staffs' part. Your credit charges are listed on a daily basis which makes it very easy to review the account. Please people: if you have extensive daily charges and/or difficulty with the account tally, review the papers away from the desk to make note of the areas of contention, and then return to the desk to complete the process. That would speed things up for everybody. Although check out is 1000 am, you can store your luggage in a secure area and use the facilities until your departure time.
LAYOUT: The resort is quite spread out, which I liked because even at about 90% capacity it never seemed crowded and you didn't bump into people. The buildings start at 'A' (closest to the lobby and adult only pool) and end at 'O' (close to the Bistro restaurant and a good sized pool.) In between is the main pool area with a snack bar and activities. That part of the beach has sun beds and shading. All of the pools have a towel counter; you need to turn in a card (given at check in) to get a towel, and get the card back when the towel is returned. It's about a ten minute walk from building 'O' to the lobby and you can request a cart if you don't want to walk. But the walk is enjoyable due to the lovely landscaping and recommended to avoid blood clots etc from an otherwise lack of physical activity!
BEACH: the area in front of the main pool and middle/left of the resort was rocky, but just a few minutes walk to the right it was absolutely fine for swimming. You could walk into the ocean quite far before it got past thigh level. Walking for 40 minutes on the beach is the equivalent of a really good pedicure - smoothed the feet totally! Lots of shells brought in by the waves. Due to the length of the resort, the beach is very long and had many almost isolated areas, perfect for total relaxation. And no vendors!!!
ROOMS: I stayed in a junior suite which was very spacious and had a huge balcony with padded, full length recliners and a decent sized table. The bed was comfortable and there is a pillow menu for selection, but I found that the pillows already on the bed were perfect. The kitchen area is very discreet against the wall on entry to the room and is equipped with everything you could possibly need if you choose to cook in your room, including a full sized fridge. I liked that the toilet has a door separating it from the main part of the bathroom. The soap etc is Bath and Body, not the usual cheap harsh type found in many resorts. The room was always well cleaned in a timely manner (between 0900 and noon for my room) and all of the buildings, including the pool area bathrooms, were always immaculate.
FOOD: some people have mentioned that the restaurant food was expensive. Perhaps if you live in a smaller town the prices would seem high, but I found them comparable to a moderately priced chain restaurant (ie- AppleBee's) The deli had very reasonable prices (under $5 for nachos etc, $9 for a huge deli sandwhich accompanied by potato salad, cake and a soft drink.) I didn't cook in the room so had opportunity to eat from all of the restaurants including the snack bar and deli. Consistently, the portions were huge and the flavor and presentation unbelievable. Really, I think the food (especially from Suite Services, which has it's own kitchen) was the best I've ever eaten anywhere. I wanted to take the chefs home with me!
STAFF: All of the staff were very friendly, and professional and efficient at whatever their particular job was. In particular, Andrea and Denisse at the front desk, Javier at the luggage area and EVERYONE I spoke to/saw from Suite Services (the equivalent of room service) were so sweet and pleasant. They really made my visit extra enjoyable and Pueblo Bonito should be very proud to have them as representatives of the name.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank cushionz1
WI
Reviewed 18 November 2010

We had a wonderful 2 week vacation staying the first week at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan and the 2nd week at PB Emerald Bay. Both were perfect, but for different reasons. We had so much fun the first week staying in town with the great beach and proximity to restaurants that we thought we would be a little disappointed the next week staying at EB. But, we loved our 2nd week just as much!

There are already so many contributions that helped us make our decision, but I thought I would add a few more things:

--We stayed in a 4th floor Master Suite close to the new pool and Bistro restaurant. Some of the newer master suites have balconies rather than windows in the dining area so you get the best of both worlds.

--There was a turtle release sponsored by the Mazatlan Aquarium which was an incredible experience. All of the participants got to hold a 1 day old turtle in their hands and then on the count of tres, lower them to the beach. The little guys paddled their way to the water, got swept up by a wave and off they were to their new life in the ocean. Sometimes the next wave brought many of them right back but eventually, they all had a successful farewell!

--You probably know that you can take the free shuttle to PBM and enjoy their facilities and beach but we found out that sometimes the shuttles are full. You can get tickets for shuttles at the concierge's desk up to 24 hours in advance. Also need to get a return ticket from PBM concierge desk. When you get to PBM, you can walk to many restaurants or catch a taxi for other adventures. We were lucky to find a wonderful American/Mexican taxi driver! E-mail me if you want Freddy's e-mail address or cell phone number to make prior arrangements. He really helped us in so many ways!

--The only negative of PBEB is the beach which is too rocky for swimming although it was still beautiful and nice for walks and wading. We went back to PBM to play in the ocean. But the pools at EB are amazing---quiet bistro pool or fun-filled main pool. There is also an adults only pool near the lobby.

---Great sunsets at both places!

---Delicious food at Bistro and great wraps at the deli! We did a grocery store run for snacks and beverages, and took the shuttle back to town and walked to restaurants or went to Cilantro's at PBM for an amazing sunset dinner!

--No internet in the room but there is free wifi at the deli. Or, you can pay a small fee to use their computers.

--We endured the timeshare presentation at EB and received $150 credit toward our bill. In town, you will be aggressively approached to attend "a presentation." We learned that if you tell them you live in Mazatlan or are leaving the next day, they will be less persistent. If you do attend and make a purchase that you regret----head downtown to Profeco within 5 business days to rescind your contract. Read the forum for other help!

All in all, we thoroughly enjoyed both Pueblo Bonitos in Mazatlan and the amazing weather in late October and early November!

4 Thank lakeshish
Brentwood, California
Reviewed 7 November 2010

We come here every year because of the beauty of the resort and the many friends we have made over the years. This hotel is stunning in locale and just attention to groundskeeping, let alone the neoclassical architecture. I have traveled the world, most recently coming back from Spain (Madrid through Barcelona) and then Paris. This is a different kind of world class beauty. I look forward to this more than anywhere else. It isn't a party scene and often it is a little too serene but if you just want a great hotel with a full on ocean front view setting, a pool that most most hotels in the world hope they could have, this is it. My wife and I walk the beach in the morning for miles. We use a gym that we never see in other hotels. We hit the spa, which includes steam rooms, hot tub, cold plunge, 4 different types of very cool showers - it is a very nice life here, and I haven't even gotten to the pool, which is coming up today and I have been here 4 days already.
I am not an employee. I have not been asked to make this review. I just thought it was important to let people know that my Mazatlan vacation hasn't changed from previous years. I was so worried about the recent news episodes about crime, killings, the danger, etc. I read copious articles before coming. My friends were very concerned. I was concerned. I have found it to be completely overblown. We have gone out to local restaurants in old downtown (Pedro and Lola, Topolos, El Tramoya (tamales mole....YUMMM!), Posada Freeman Hotel sunset scene, did the Art Walk downtown, and ate at Panchos last night with our favorite waiter Alfredo. Mazatlan remains a very beautiful place to visit. PB Emerald Bay remains the best hotel absolutely hands down. Jose and his staff at the front desk do their best make us happy every year. I travel a lot. I stay at a lot of hotels. I have been around the world - this place is incredibly special at a much slower pace. The beauty rivals anyplace and anywhere.

6 Thank Callbob1
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 1 November 2010

we just returned from p bonito emerald bay oct 30/2010 after a 1 week stay..weather was perfect and the pronatour shuttle to and from the airport (part of the west jet package) went very smoothly.. first the pros of the resort..excellent service from the staff,3 beautiful pools with plenty of chairs and umbrellas as well as on the beach front,gorgeous landscaping,free shuttle to their sister resort in the hotel zone,food at the bistro very good (prices typical of eating at a us/can restaurant),view from room overlooking the ocean and housekeeping of your room (they make swans out of your towels and dish rags),no peddlars on the beach (as there is only 2 resorts in nuevo mazatlan its not yet worth their while im guessing),the sister resort restaurant (cilantros ? )has the best sunset view youll encounter as you dine outside ...the cons of the resort..if you are going to take the time share tour dont act the least bit interested if you have no intention of buying because that 90 min tour is going to last 180 mins!!,(have the free breakfast and at 90 mins tell them no thanx in no uncertain terms and can i now have my $200 scrip towards using in their restaurant),the $15k purchase turns to $10k then $5500 from the brought in closer(he got surly when he sensed no sale forth coming),the beach waves are great to see and hear but the beach in front is littered with rocks(as youve read about before),if you have to go in the ocean at emerald bay walk to the right 100 yds and jump into the chilly water,it is an older clientele with minimal activities(if you are partiers),the water in the rooms is outrageously priced should you open a bottle (check your room charges when you check out as our girl added on 2 bottles of 1 litre water at $5 a pop),..we lucked out as they were releasing hundreds of baby hand raised turtles into the ocean,they do this yearly,let you hold them in your hands then cheer them on as the race to the ocean from the beach,unfortunately the local diving birds that congregate around the hotel every night also see this and made quick work on many of the tiny turtles as soon as they reached the ocean(such is nature),the cheap way to downtown mazatlan is take the shuttle to the sister resort and then after saying no to about 20 taxis take the sabalo centro bus for 9 pesos (.75 cents),,in summary the p benito emerald bay resort is a beautiful,quiet,secluded ,not cheap,friendliest staff ive ever encountered place to visit

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank r0j02010
vancouver bc
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Great property, food, rooms, spa and excellent staff...from the day we arrived they treated us superbly...
Kudos to:
Miguel at the front entrance...
Fernando, Luis, Alejandro at Kelly's Bar...
The Shuttle Bus Driver between the resorts...
All the great guy's around the Pool Bar...expectly the guy who arranged for us to enjoy the Dorrado we caught fishing...
One must is the afternoon special at the Spa...for $5 you can use the facilities which includes 8 or 9 different stations...you should also try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floor so you can enjoy the view...we also preferred the Restaurant by the quiet pool at the south end of the resort.

One complaint would be the "Timeshare Owners" who seem to think they have the privilege to dictate control over other guests behaviour...for example...they asked the manager of a Restaurant to ask us to be a little quieter, we are a family with small children...another instant someone complained because I brought a can of beer to the Pool...petty issues that they expect handled by the staff...

Overall our family was very pleased with our 2 week stay...

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank banderso
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2010

Check in is slow. Definitely ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor because they are letting their trees block the ocean view. Lighting at night is romantic, but can be hazardous to your health - watch your step! The resort is boring as there is nothing to do. The beach, although vendor free, is rocky and lttered with cigarette butts, etc. Pool boys were few and far between. The sheets in this fancy timeshare felt like sandpaper and the pillows like rocks. I think I had two hot showers the whole time I was there. They tried to fix the water temperature but couldn't. The internet is only offered in one area. Even Pueblo Bonito Sunset has internet in your room. Emerald Bay needs to step up! Everyone at the resort is wonderful and the food is good with a lovely presentation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple