“Your companions make all the difference”

Deer Island (Isla de Venados)
Ranked #17 of 102 things to do in Mazatlan
More attraction details
Owner description: Amphibious vehicles take vacationers to this uninhabited island off Mazatlan for snorkeling trips and other beach activities.
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My boyfriend and I paid for this excursion through our resort, El Cid, for about $45 USD each. You start out with a boat ride down the coast with free drinks before landing on Deer Island. The people I met during the tour made the experience a lot of fun. Everyone was friendly and were just looking for a good time. When we anchored some people, including my boyfriend, decided to jump off the boat and swim to the island rather than taking the smaller boat. We had a game of beach volleyball, went kayaking, did the banana boat ride, drank from coconuts and just engaged in each other's company. All of which was very exciting since I have not done most of those before. However, you couldn't see anything in the water with the snorkeling and the area for you to explore and hang out really isn't that big. They provided us with a small lunch buffet that mainly consisted of tacos, salad and fresh fruit. Over all it's a cool and relaxing experience. The people in your group make all the difference.

1  Thank KatBoomKat

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We had a great time here, we jet skied, snorkeled, banana boated, kayaked, floated in clean gorgeous water and had a huge yummy lunch with all we could drink all day... I highly recommend this activity with the tour out of the El Cid Marina. Such a great day!

1  Thank KAN1965
Reviewed 15 May 2013

During our last trip to Mazatlan we took the tour to Deer Island, you get on board a catamaran that sails around the most significant islands in Mazatlan. During your time on board there is open bar consisting of beer, tequila sunrise, pineapple vodka, soda and water. After 45 minutes or so we arrived at the island. There is not really too much to see, there are some palapas under which we stayed during all our stay. They organize banana-ride, kayaking and snorkeling. The sea at Deer Island is clear but not anywhere close to Cancun so it's not easy to see fish. The buffet consisted of Marlin tacos, which were Ok for me although my wife didn't find them that appealing.
As a conclusion, the experience was not bad at all but definitely not worth the time and money ($200 - 4 adults and 1 child)

5  Thank Jose Luis C
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We took this excursion for about $50 USD and it was a rip off. They take you on a catamaran along the coast and then to the island for a 5 minute ride of banana boating. Then they tell you that you can snorkle and kayak... The snorkeling was awful! Can't see a thing in the Ocean! Then you sit around on the beach for a few hours. They do serve you lunch (fajitas) but I could have gotten that on the resort.
Then they take you back on the catamaran.... Not very fun at all.

I heard Stone Island has horse back riding and more fun things for cheaper! I think $32 USD. Allwell.

5  Thank samantha J
Reviewed 6 May 2013

Skip the all inclusive tours offered by the hotels and take a short walk to Aqua Sports Center who are located a short walk from EL CID hotels where we stayed (El Moro Tower). They own a huge tire powered boat ( travels on land and sea) that takes you across to the island for $12.00 round trip per person. Check out their web-site they have lots of pictures and they bring the banana boat too...off course that is extra and they do have the food and rides for additional cost. Raul runs the place and his men are all qualified and courteous too. My husband took the boat ride with another older couple and their 6 year old grandson.
He even got to be up front with the driver! Their boat is too cool..kids love it.
The water is too murky to snorkel anyway and way to rough with huge rocks, but on the left side of the island as you are approaching it there is a lovely spot to swim..sand is great and not too deep. There are chairs to sit on and umbrellas too, but definitely pack a snack and skip the food on the island..sounds like its not worth it.
There was a small fee to use the bathroom $1.00! We spent two hours there and it was a perfect memory, collecting sea glass and shells and my husband even saw a large animal near the trash cans, which was harmless. He talked to the guy that lives on the island as a caretaker with his two black dogs who are friendly and one of them had just given birth to puppies.
No electricity, but heck you're on an island what do you want!!!
Enjoy the beauty and peace of nature...there's plenty of food and entertainment at your hotels, right?!?!?!

6  Thank Gumbas