“Same value twice the price of the Azteca”

El Cid Granada Country Club
Ranked #5 of 79 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
edmonton
“Same value twice the price of the Azteca”
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Okay, this is the REAL goods about the El Cid. The place is a level below hotel 6. You can get the same value at the Azteca for significantly less. compare the rooms when you go. We went all inclusive and except for the El Patio Argentinian restaurant, it was NOT WORTH IT. The buffet at the castilla was boring at best. Yes, you could always find something to eat, but the selection was very weak. You get what you pay for, I guess.

To get good service here...TIP, and tip well. The problem with that is that, though I tipped well and was always with my family when I did so, when my wife and child came down by themselves they were virtually ignored. So guess what happens then? That's right!! The tips stopped because wifey was peeved. Adivce to the staff women in Canada are very much equal to the men. Ignore them and it is only your wallet that suffers.

The service at the Granada was an absolute joke. My 3 year old and I went down to the El Patio at 11:00 because she wanted toast. The server said that toast was not on the menu so we could not have it. ??????? Did the toaster just pick up and walk off? You can't grab some bread and toast it? I could get toast at McDonalds( whose service is significantly better then this place...IN THE DAY TIME). I had decided that this was the place where they train the new (small school bus) employees, because getting mediocre service was difficult.

At night time things changed significantly. The El Patio becomes Mr. Hyde. First off, the best steak I have ever had was done here. UNBELIEVABLE! I had gone there expecting the same crap service from the daytime, I was pleasantly surprised. If you go try the steak. You will not regret it.

The rooms are basic at best. This place needs a serious make over. On night the bathroom smelled god awful, turns out the smell was the sewer backing up through the tub. They came and fixed it quickly, but the impresion was set in my mind. I know this is supposed to be a third world country, but I expect better for my dollar.Not just the repainting of the floors which seemed like an ongoing process. The cleaning staff is very friendly, and nice. The pool is quiet and warm, lots more seniors here, which was nice. The aquaducts? Are you kidding? They serve NO PURPOSE. They are pointless, and to market them is silly. I don't think I noticed them for the first week.

So this place, as of now, is ranked the 8th popular hotel in Mazatlan? I call BS. The place is BASIC AT BEST.

If your gonna book at the El Cid, and you don't have kids, book the marina. If you have kids, book the Castilla. And if you are into frustration book the Granada.

One last thing. I did the El Cid timeshare thing because the girl was from Canada so we figured we'd help her out. It WAS high pressure. But they said that you could sell your timeshare on eBay. That got me thinking. So I checked eBay.......An El Cid timeshare was selling for $96.00 with 4 hours left. Transfer fees were $167.00 maintainance fees were $589.00. All for 155000 points. That is a $30,000.00 discount. Just tell them you are tracking one on eBay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 11 March 2009
Dear midgetoporker

Thank you for taking the time to review El Cid Granada Country Club. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies… comments like yours will assist us in maintaining and improving our service and product.

The miscommunication with the breakfast inclusion has also since been shared with the Restaurant Manager and we will revisit some training issues. The maintenance issues you raised have since been forwarded to the engineering department for rectification – I am sorry that these were not rectified prior to your arrival.

We are currently in the process of touching up our rooms to ensure our high standards. This project will be finished in the near future.
Thank you for your kind words about the staff and quality of the food in El Patio Restaurant at nights. This has since been shared with them directly as well as with the rest of our team.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. I hope you will be able to experience the difference the next time you stay.

Mark Covarrubias McKay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Brandon, MB
Reviewed 6 March 2009

My fiance and I just returned from the El Cid Granada yesterday. We are young Canadian's on a budgeted vacation and we received not only first class service but a vacation that will kick start our lives together.

Hotel Check Inn: We were greeted by the front desk personal with not only a smile but they served us both a drink when we checked in. Service was fast and we were in our room within minutes.

Our room: We received a one king sized bed room which included 2 sitting chairs and a coffee table. It was very noticeable that El Cid has recently tried to update the look of the resort especially in the rooms. All our furniture was a deep chocolate brown and had the walls had been recently painted. The A/C had three different levels which for myself was amazing I prefer to cold rather then warm at night. The hot water was never an issue, we always had good water pressure and it was always warm.

Pool: How could you possibly go wrong with a heated pool? it was fantastic. never overly crowded it always made for a relaxing swim.

Food: We ate at the buffet in the Castilla 5 nights out of our trip and it was always good. They had everything from Pizza, Pasta, Fries, Burgers, Salad, Chicken and the list goes on... Our favorite meal of the day was the breakfast buffet. If you wanted to eat at one of Al La Cart's I would recommend the Italian. (A tip you must reserve your spot early or you won't get in).

Service: I have been to Cancun & Puerta Vallarta over the years and I have never experienced what I did at El Cid. From the maid's to the waiters, everyone insisted that you were going to have a good time. Granted we were the youngest couple at our resort by 10 years at least (no offense anyone) they treated us wonderfully always with a smile.

Golf: I paid $75 USD for three rounds of green fees total. after that you must pay $20 USD for a caddie (and later tip him for his work around $20). If you want to take a cart it is $40 USD on top of that. The course is fantastic, absolutely beautiful. I walked each time having my caddie carry my clubs and I would recommend it for anyone at any age!

Location: Smack dab in the golden zone the location could not be better. You are next door to Senior frogs and within walking to distance to anywhere. ** I must also say that people on this site complain about how it is difficult to get from the Granada to the Castilla, well you have to be kidding me. There is a 20 second walk on the skywalk on the second floor that makes you feel like the hotels are attached.

Overall this is a family resort. If you are wanting to party then I would suggest booking at the Castilla. If you want to relax, have fun, lay back and read a book without a ghetto blaster in your ear, then the granada is for you.

A special thanks goes out to Daniel at the front desk who let me use his internet access at no charge when I was desperately in need of NHL trade deadline updates and the computers were down.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank louisvuittondon
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 21 March 2009
Dear louisvuittondon

Thank you for your recent positive review regarding your upcoming stay at El Cid Granada.

I am delighted to read that you recognize the training that we undertake with our staff and how important an impact that has on our guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding the standard of our rooms and also the quality of our food. As you mention the hotel is ideally located to access all the facilities that Mazatlan has to offer.

The most pleasing aspect of your review was in regards to your interactions with our staff; customer service is what we pride ourselves in and we are pleased that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and pleasurable.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel this month and I do hope I have the opportunity of meeting you.

Best regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 February 2009

This resort is quaint with well kept rooms and grounds. It has a beautiful heated pool. The staff and service is very good. The desk manager, Daniel Medina, provided exceptional customer service which exceeded our expectations. We've been visiting this resort since 1986 and will look forward to visiting for many more years.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 27 February 2009
Dear A TripAdvisor Member

We are extremely pleased with your kind comments of your recent stay at El Cid Granada. As you may know, so few people take the time to let the world travelers know when they are satisfied with the service at a hotel. I am very happy you enjoyed the trip and our efforts to improve the property have been paying off.

We were also very glad to learn that you were surprised and pleased with our customer satisfaction service. We are aware that most hotels do not reply to service questionnaires, but, we see the personal contact as an opportunity to incentive a dialogue. This is the only effective way to learn, from a guests’ perspective, our strong, but also our weak points and to improve our service.

If given such an opportunity we would me most grateful to welcome you back to our hotel.

Lethbridge
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stayed at the Granada by choice as my Mother was not comfortable by the beach, this did cause a small problem for my Father (age 85)whom had trouble with the distance from our location at Granada to the main ElCid's resort for meals and what it offered.
In order to access the sky walk you have to take a elevator from the main floor to the second floor,it is very small and could not accomodate a wheelchair and myself so I would load my father push the button and run up a flight of stairs and meet him there,this is ok if you are the only ones using the elevator.
After a day or so we all settled in very nicely and enjoyed our stay, I would not recommend this hotel for disabled

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank sundesire
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 25 February 2009
Dear sundesire

Thank you very much for choosing El Cid Granada Country Club as your preferred choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Mazatlan, and for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor for our property.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations, and we would like to assure you that we are currently working on rectifying the challenges we are facing in the facilities for disabled and we are grateful to you for bringing your concerns to our attention. However, I must say that we do have all facilities needed for disabled guests at our sister hotel El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I hope that the majority of responsible guests would warn us, either over the telephone, by email before coming, or discreetly on arrival and then we would have taken all steps to accommodate your condition.

Please rest assured that we will address these shortcomings and forgive us that the lesson for us was at your expense. We hope that despite the unpleasant experience, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to El Cid Granada where no efforts will be spared to make your stay with us pleasant and comfortable.

AB
Reviewed 3 February 2009

The El Cid resorts are amazing. I was totally impressed with the quality. I was slightly worried before showing up at the hotel because we had got such an awesome deal on it but that was completely unwarrented. The Granada is smaller and dated like other reviewers have mentioned, but completely clean and the staff are so helpful! The pool at the Granada is very quiet and relaxing and the El Patio restaurant always smells so good! We had our Al a carte dinner there and it was superb. Our friends with a small baby stayed in the same hotel and the staff was more than accomodating with them. We had buffet breakfast and supper at El Cid Castella restaurant and had no complaints. The buffet lunch overlooking the beach was the best though! The nachos were to die for! Staff eager to please and loads of pools to explore, beach was extremely well kept, someone was always cleaning around the resort, entertainment during the day at the pools were good. Couldnt have had a better vacation anywhere else to be honest. Thank you El Cid for the awesome vacation, I would come back to Mazatlan anytime and stay with you!

By the way, we didnt have any problems with timeshare people. We politely declined once and were never bothered at the hotel again.

• Liked — The Staff were extremely friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank phoenixoftheflame
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 4 February 2009
Dear phoenixoftheflame

What else can we say about so many nice words than THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

We are happy to see that we can give to our guests what we try very much a personal atmosphere. We are a big family here and we want to include our guests in this family. We strive to provide each traveler's stay with an "I just have to stay here again experience".

We have an excellent housekeeping and maintenance team that keep the hotel looking very clean and fresh. Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding this. From the room accommodations to the food in our restaurant, we are scrutinizing every detail to guarantee positive experiences for all guests. Our chef will be happy to hear how much you enjoyed the lunch buffet …and our famous nachos are the top choice of guests.

We would be happy to welcome you again in El Cid Granada Country Club for your next trip to Mazatlan. In the meantime we wish you all the best and good luck.

Forest Grove
Reviewed 31 January 2009

Hotel El Cid Granada

We just spent 3 weeks at the Granada and it was wonderful.
The manager, Daniel was very helpful with any questions. He
made sure that what ever we wanted was taken care of immediately. We asked for a different mattress and by afternoon it was on the bed. <I love to sit out on the porch and read. When the outside liught went out, Daniel had a man there in 15 minutes to fix it. This has been a wonderful vacation with 3 sets of friends.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — having to go home
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank HappymomForestGrove
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 2 February 2009
Dear HappymomForestGrove

Thank you for the glowing review. You’re spoiling us with these marvelous comments!

We love our staff, they are shiny and bright and fragrant. Without them we would just be like any other hotel. Daniel certainly goes out of his way to ensure everyone has the best time possible. As we have so often stated before, our staff is the ultimate key to our success and your satisfaction as a guest, and to that end we spend much time and effort in conducting training and sharing all manners of guest feedback with our associates. And yes, our porches give our guests the perfect place to relax and read.

I remain at your disposal for anything other and I hope to have you here again as a guest at El Cid Granada Country Club.

alberta
Reviewed 31 January 2009

first of all. I would like to say that we were terribly upset with how sell off vacations booked us on this trip. we were promised a studio room with balcony kitchen and all facilities. we were put in a room with two double beds. I would of loved to have a couch or table or something other then another bed. be aware of your booking when you do speak to an agent selling you a package because you really don't know what you will end up with. the hotel was not accomodating to change our room which made our whole week unbearable. the hotel was old . No shower caddy in the shower to hold all toiletries. had to put them on the floor. overall to me it was not a pleasant holiday. I will never return to this el cid. Oh and too mention other. time share people just never left you alone. even in the hotel they would bother you to go for breakfast. that they would give you 500 pesos or whatever they felt like it. if you said no to them they would continue to pressure you. this has to stop. a holiday should be yours to enjoy. not to be pressured into going nowhere you don't want to be. In closing. just be aware again with what you book. you will never know what you end up in.

• Liked — ......no comment
  • Disliked — the room was not what I had chosen
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank calabria2
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 31 January 2009
Dear calabria2

Thank you so much for your review, whilst we are disappointed that your stay wasn’t as enjoyable as we would have desired. We are thankful for your honesty.

We are very concerned to learn you left Mazatlan with an unsatisfactory impression our property and to read of your experiences during your time here. We will look into the issues you had experienced for getting a different room than the one you reserved. Please accept my personal apology for the inconvenience. I truly appreciate you bringing this concern and I will look into your particular case since the pre-assignment of rooms is carried out meticulously to ensure all guest do receive the correct room type reserved. Not to make an excuse, but I feel it is important for you to know that we are currently undergoing renovations to upgrade our rooms so as to give our guests a more comfortable stay.

Please know that your comments are extremely important and are not taken lightly. I do apologize for the Issue with the time share people, rest assured that actions has been taken to correct and avoid any other complaint in future.

Problems can happen at any hotel - but it is important that any guests who are not happy with their accommodations, service, or breakfast ask to speak to the manager as soon as they experience a problem. The staff has been instructed to notify me at once when there is a situation that they cannot correct.

It is a pity that you have decided to not return as you will not get a chance to see how we have improved the issues you have raised with us. If you do decide to reconsider please feel free to contact me personally.

Best regards,