“just OK but don't eat here!”

El Cid Granada Country Club
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 March 2009

As a family of four we have to budget for our yearly trip to Mexico. I managed to get a pretty good deal booking flight and accomodation separately so we took a chance on the Granada. Everything went really well at check in until they took us to a room which was very small. They immediately opened a door adjacent to this when we declined the first room and we were presented with a very big two bathroom suite with a king size bed and a twin plus a full kitchen. It was really dated but clean so we moved in. It became apparent the first night as to why we were offered the bigger room since it overlooked the water treatment/laundry facility and the turbines/generators ran 24/7. Very noisy but we made the best of it.
The pool next to the el Patio restaurant was a nice alternative to the bigger pool across the street but not much chance of poolside service. The bigger pool has great service to your spot on the beach or by the pool so no complaints there. Service overall was excellent.
The downfall of the resort is the food quality and the attempts to sort guests with different colour bracelets. On cruise ship days, the guests who are paying are served first. Some items like tuna sandwichs are extra charge depending on what colour your bracelet is. It seemed we could only get hamburgers for lunch. The all-inclusive is a waste of time since most of the food was inedible. The buffet and ala cartes were equally disgusting. One exception was the awesome food at the sushi restaurant. The food there was amazing and the service was great. Still, you can't eat japanese food 7 nights in a row. Maybe try offering less choice and concentrate on doing a few things really well rather than lots of stuff really bad. Kudos to the staff though for good service with a smile.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2009

Dear beachbombmom

Thank you for your comments and for choosing to stay at El Cid Granada Country Club. It is of course disappointing to learn that we have not met your expectations, and do request of any reader when staying with us that such issues be brought to our attention during the stay so that we can recover or rectify as best we can.

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy the meals and please rest assured that I will pass your comments onto the Director of Food and Beverage so that he can look into it. Any time an issue is bought to our attention it is rectified immediately.

Our El Cid´s mission is to delight our customers on each and every occasion and do graciously request the author's indulgence with our commitment to improve. As we have mentioned in previous reviews our Hotel is currently undergoing refurbishments to our rooms, and trust this process will bring our rooms up to a superior product.

I trust you will at some stage again give us the opportunity to show you this occasion was a one off occurrence and turn the negatives into positives.

Reviewed 21 March 2009

We have just returned from out stay at the El Cid Granada and can't say enough about the fantastic time we had. The front desk staff, especially Senor Francisco Torres, were extremely helpful and check in/out was fast and efficient. Having read some of the reviews prior to booking we weren't sure that we'd made the right decision about staying at the Granada but having been there were glad we chose it over the Castilla. Our room was very spacious and although the shower took a good jiggle to get started and the lighting was really dim, we could not have been happier. When we checked into the room there was water leaking from the fridge but by the time we had had our orientation someone had been up to the room to have it attended to!!! We spent all day over at the Castilla, on the beach or just out and about and it was nice to come back to our quiet, secure room. It was also nice to spend the morning around the pool at the Granada as it was very quiet and relaxing and quite sheldered.
We ate breakfast most mornings at El Patio (Granada side) which was alway pleasant and the food, especially the cactus juice was fantastic. The wait staff were very attentive and always did their best to make sure that we had everything we needed. Thanks Ricardo!! We tried the big buffet breakfast a few times and also enjoyed it but found the atmosphere at El Patio more to our liking.
We took advantage of all the ala carte restaurants and enjoyed them all immensly. Ixchel had recommended that we make reservations in advance and we should have listened to her!!! As mentioned we did get into all the restaurants although we had made reservations at the sushi restaurant but the reservation some how got lost (could very well have been my fault) but the manager was very gracious and let us (all eight of us)come in. The buffet at lunch was always delicious (sit in Adrian's section for first class service) and the dinner buffet and evening entertainment also top notch. There was just endless amounts of food.
The kids loved the beach and it was nice to have free boggie boards that they could use.
The skywalk over to the Castilla was effortless and way easier than having to try and cross the street at ground level.
The resort is in such a great location. Easy to get down to the market on the bus and the shopping within walking distance from the hotel.
It is a great hotel and we would certainly return and recommend it to our friends. Thanks Granada staff!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelwithkids95
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2009

Dear Travelwithkids95

We are most grateful for your very kind comments. We love to read your review which is very important to us in order to evaluate our performance! Great to hear also that you enjoyed the type of room allocated to you and the hotel surroundings.

Our preferred address with minutes from everywhere has indeed provided many travelers, greatest travelling convenience! One of the best parts about Mazatlan is the endless exploration possibilities, and it’s great to have a central location like the hotel as your home base.

It is really nice to read about the positive experiences you have had with our service staff and breakfast experience. Your feedback will be shared with the service team. We try to select the best products for our guests and include healthy and local products for both our breakfast menu as well as our à la carte menu for lunch & dinner.

However, we would like to apologize for the poor lighting in the room and the problem with the fridge that you have experienced during your stay with us. Please be assured that the management is looking into this matter to ensure that the problem will be solved and that the Hotel is always in its best conditions for our guests.

Please do contact me in advance if you are planning to come back to Mazatlan, I will be pleased to welcome you personally at El Cid Granada Country Club!

With best regards,

Reviewed 15 March 2009

A little older resort, but well maintained. Daniel and his staff are all very helpful and really nice people. We stayed for two weeks and the pool is the best in Mazatlan on those cool days, as it is always warm around the Granada pool. The rooms are as clean as any you will find and they have all the amenities we need. If you have any concerns, you just tell Daniel or a member of his staff and it will be taken care of immediately. We are always satisfied when we stay at the Granada and look forward to returning every year.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vacationerMinnesota
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2009

Dear vacationerMinnesota

Very niiiiiiice comments on El Cid Granada. It is always pleasing to receive positive reviews. Thank you so much.

Daniel our Granada Manager was extremely happy to receive such favorable comments as were we all. We pride ourselves in our Customer Service and will always try and go out of our way for our guests.

El Cid Granada Country Club is recently under a major refurbishment program, which will cover all aspects of the hotel. We believe that this refurbishment will greatly enhance our overall guest experience.

Should you have any suggestion to improve our service do not hesitate to write it here or to contact me directly.

Enjoy life and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

I hope to see you soon again here in Mazatlan!!!

Reviewed 11 March 2009

Okay, this is the REAL goods about the El Cid. The place is a level below hotel 6. You can get the same value at the Azteca for significantly less. compare the rooms when you go. We went all inclusive and except for the El Patio Argentinian restaurant, it was NOT WORTH IT. The buffet at the castilla was boring at best. Yes, you could always find something to eat, but the selection was very weak. You get what you pay for, I guess.

To get good service here...TIP, and tip well. The problem with that is that, though I tipped well and was always with my family when I did so, when my wife and child came down by themselves they were virtually ignored. So guess what happens then? That's right!! The tips stopped because wifey was peeved. Adivce to the staff women in Canada are very much equal to the men. Ignore them and it is only your wallet that suffers.

The service at the Granada was an absolute joke. My 3 year old and I went down to the El Patio at 11:00 because she wanted toast. The server said that toast was not on the menu so we could not have it. ??????? Did the toaster just pick up and walk off? You can't grab some bread and toast it? I could get toast at McDonalds( whose service is significantly better then this place...IN THE DAY TIME). I had decided that this was the place where they train the new (small school bus) employees, because getting mediocre service was difficult.

At night time things changed significantly. The El Patio becomes Mr. Hyde. First off, the best steak I have ever had was done here. UNBELIEVABLE! I had gone there expecting the same crap service from the daytime, I was pleasantly surprised. If you go try the steak. You will not regret it.

The rooms are basic at best. This place needs a serious make over. On night the bathroom smelled god awful, turns out the smell was the sewer backing up through the tub. They came and fixed it quickly, but the impresion was set in my mind. I know this is supposed to be a third world country, but I expect better for my dollar.Not just the repainting of the floors which seemed like an ongoing process. The cleaning staff is very friendly, and nice. The pool is quiet and warm, lots more seniors here, which was nice. The aquaducts? Are you kidding? They serve NO PURPOSE. They are pointless, and to market them is silly. I don't think I noticed them for the first week.

So this place, as of now, is ranked the 8th popular hotel in Mazatlan? I call BS. The place is BASIC AT BEST.

If your gonna book at the El Cid, and you don't have kids, book the marina. If you have kids, book the Castilla. And if you are into frustration book the Granada.

One last thing. I did the El Cid timeshare thing because the girl was from Canada so we figured we'd help her out. It WAS high pressure. But they said that you could sell your timeshare on eBay. That got me thinking. So I checked eBay.......An El Cid timeshare was selling for $96.00 with 4 hours left. Transfer fees were $167.00 maintainance fees were $589.00. All for 155000 points. That is a $30,000.00 discount. Just tell them you are tracking one on eBay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2009

Dear midgetoporker

Thank you for taking the time to review El Cid Granada Country Club. I am sorry that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies… comments like yours will assist us in maintaining and improving our service and product.

The miscommunication with the breakfast inclusion has also since been shared with the Restaurant Manager and we will revisit some training issues. The maintenance issues you raised have since been forwarded to the engineering department for rectification – I am sorry that these were not rectified prior to your arrival.

We are currently in the process of touching up our rooms to ensure our high standards. This project will be finished in the near future.
Thank you for your kind words about the staff and quality of the food in El Patio Restaurant at nights. This has since been shared with them directly as well as with the rest of our team.

We appreciate you sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. I hope you will be able to experience the difference the next time you stay.

Reviewed 6 March 2009

My fiance and I just returned from the El Cid Granada yesterday. We are young Canadian's on a budgeted vacation and we received not only first class service but a vacation that will kick start our lives together.

Hotel Check Inn: We were greeted by the front desk personal with not only a smile but they served us both a drink when we checked in. Service was fast and we were in our room within minutes.

Our room: We received a one king sized bed room which included 2 sitting chairs and a coffee table. It was very noticeable that El Cid has recently tried to update the look of the resort especially in the rooms. All our furniture was a deep chocolate brown and had the walls had been recently painted. The A/C had three different levels which for myself was amazing I prefer to cold rather then warm at night. The hot water was never an issue, we always had good water pressure and it was always warm.

Pool: How could you possibly go wrong with a heated pool? it was fantastic. never overly crowded it always made for a relaxing swim.

Food: We ate at the buffet in the Castilla 5 nights out of our trip and it was always good. They had everything from Pizza, Pasta, Fries, Burgers, Salad, Chicken and the list goes on... Our favorite meal of the day was the breakfast buffet. If you wanted to eat at one of Al La Cart's I would recommend the Italian. (A tip you must reserve your spot early or you won't get in).

Service: I have been to Cancun & Puerta Vallarta over the years and I have never experienced what I did at El Cid. From the maid's to the waiters, everyone insisted that you were going to have a good time. Granted we were the youngest couple at our resort by 10 years at least (no offense anyone) they treated us wonderfully always with a smile.

Golf: I paid $75 USD for three rounds of green fees total. after that you must pay $20 USD for a caddie (and later tip him for his work around $20). If you want to take a cart it is $40 USD on top of that. The course is fantastic, absolutely beautiful. I walked each time having my caddie carry my clubs and I would recommend it for anyone at any age!

Location: Smack dab in the golden zone the location could not be better. You are next door to Senior frogs and within walking to distance to anywhere. ** I must also say that people on this site complain about how it is difficult to get from the Granada to the Castilla, well you have to be kidding me. There is a 20 second walk on the skywalk on the second floor that makes you feel like the hotels are attached.

Overall this is a family resort. If you are wanting to party then I would suggest booking at the Castilla. If you want to relax, have fun, lay back and read a book without a ghetto blaster in your ear, then the granada is for you.

A special thanks goes out to Daniel at the front desk who let me use his internet access at no charge when I was desperately in need of NHL trade deadline updates and the computers were down.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louisvuittondon
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2009

Dear louisvuittondon

Thank you for your recent positive review regarding your upcoming stay at El Cid Granada.

I am delighted to read that you recognize the training that we undertake with our staff and how important an impact that has on our guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding the standard of our rooms and also the quality of our food. As you mention the hotel is ideally located to access all the facilities that Mazatlan has to offer.

The most pleasing aspect of your review was in regards to your interactions with our staff; customer service is what we pride ourselves in and we are pleased that we were able to make your stay more comfortable and pleasurable.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel this month and I do hope I have the opportunity of meeting you.

Best regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Reviewed 24 February 2009

This resort is quaint with well kept rooms and grounds. It has a beautiful heated pool. The staff and service is very good. The desk manager, Daniel Medina, provided exceptional customer service which exceeded our expectations. We've been visiting this resort since 1986 and will look forward to visiting for many more years.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2009

Dear A TripAdvisor Member

We are extremely pleased with your kind comments of your recent stay at El Cid Granada. As you may know, so few people take the time to let the world travelers know when they are satisfied with the service at a hotel. I am very happy you enjoyed the trip and our efforts to improve the property have been paying off.

We were also very glad to learn that you were surprised and pleased with our customer satisfaction service. We are aware that most hotels do not reply to service questionnaires, but, we see the personal contact as an opportunity to incentive a dialogue. This is the only effective way to learn, from a guests’ perspective, our strong, but also our weak points and to improve our service.

If given such an opportunity we would me most grateful to welcome you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stayed at the Granada by choice as my Mother was not comfortable by the beach, this did cause a small problem for my Father (age 85)whom had trouble with the distance from our location at Granada to the main ElCid's resort for meals and what it offered.
In order to access the sky walk you have to take a elevator from the main floor to the second floor,it is very small and could not accomodate a wheelchair and myself so I would load my father push the button and run up a flight of stairs and meet him there,this is ok if you are the only ones using the elevator.
After a day or so we all settled in very nicely and enjoyed our stay, I would not recommend this hotel for disabled

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank sundesire
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2009

Dear sundesire

Thank you very much for choosing El Cid Granada Country Club as your preferred choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Mazatlan, and for taking the time to complete a review on trip advisor for our property.

We deeply regret that we were unable to meet your expectations, and we would like to assure you that we are currently working on rectifying the challenges we are facing in the facilities for disabled and we are grateful to you for bringing your concerns to our attention. However, I must say that we do have all facilities needed for disabled guests at our sister hotel El Cid Castilla Beach Hotel. I hope that the majority of responsible guests would warn us, either over the telephone, by email before coming, or discreetly on arrival and then we would have taken all steps to accommodate your condition.

Please rest assured that we will address these shortcomings and forgive us that the lesson for us was at your expense. We hope that despite the unpleasant experience, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to El Cid Granada where no efforts will be spared to make your stay with us pleasant and comfortable.