“Gracious Luxury amid the palms and iquanas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Cid Granada Country Club

El Cid Granada Country Club
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Mazatlan
Minneapolis
“Gracious Luxury amid the palms and iquanas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2010

My husband and I spent three weeks again this year at out favorite resort. The staff at Granada are gracious and helpful without being intrusive. With the gorgeous pool right at our door and the Patio food service we have everything we need for a relaxing vacation. The foliage and grounds at this legacy resort are all conducive to R & R. No loud music. The front desk staff are super responsive and solve problems quickly. The housekeeping staff are totally on top of everything in the rooms...including daily service and chocolates!
This year there was wireless internet available as well.
We'll be back to our Minnesota get away next year.
Kathy McKay

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2010

We got such a good deal to go to el cid that I was very skeptical as to the quality we would find there. From the moment we arrived all fears were put to rest. Alexander at the front desk was very informative and made our check in quick and easy. He also was very helpful to us during our stay there helping us to plan activities.
I would describe the rooms as large , dated but clean. We had a lovely kitchenette and 2 double beds. The decor was dated but added to the overall quaint feeling of the place. If you are looking for modern this is not your place, but if you are looking for a feel of old mexico this is it. The only thing that could have really been improved in the room would have been a bathroom up date. The air conditioning worked well and the our room was cleaned promptly every day. We enjoyed the fact our room was literally steps away from the pool.
The pool at the granada is wonderful. Most people tended to go to the pools at the castilla and moro but we enjoyed the relaxed and quiet atmosphere at the granada. It did not matter what time of the day you went out you could always find a lounger in the sun or shade.
On to the important part....the food. We arrived late at night and so ended up at the buffet to eat. First impression was that we were sitiing in a college cafeteria. There is absolutely no atmosphere in there and you almost feel like you are in a basement. It also is quite stuffy in there, They did have fans on the ceiling but they never turned them on even though we requested it. We found the food at the buffet adequate but nothing wonderful. We were there for 2 weeks and tried it a couple more times but always left with the same opinion. So for most of our meals we did a la carte. With the all inclusive we had access to a japanese, italian, mexian and argentian restuarants. All were great ! Our favorite was the argentinian restuarant at the el patio. All meat is grilled with mesquite smoked wood....both the chicken and steak were beyond amazing! I have been to mexico on 5 different occasions and every time i would equate the beef to the consistency of shoe leather, but not here. It was tender enough to cut with your fork and the chicken was moist beyond belief. We chose to have our breakfasts at the el patio. They had a nice variety and the service was superb. Two people who gave us outstanding service at the el patio were Anastacio and Ramon. Lunches we split between the el patio and the buffet that was down by the beach. The food down by the beach was great and you had a great view to accompany your meal.
The granada is a great place if you love to kick back and relax. If you wanted more action all you had to was walk about 3 minutes to get to the castilla. One of the perks about staying at the granada is that the smallness of it tends to promote more visiting among the patrons , we got to know a number of people well and look forward to seeing them on our next visit to mazatlan.
All the people here work hard and are eager to make your vacation memorable. I am a person who normally doesn't like to go to hotels I have been to before, as I love trying new and different things. However if we ever go to mazatlan again I would definitely stay at the granada .

2 Thank prairieflower99
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 22 January 2010
Dear prairieflower99

Thank you for your wonderful review!!! We are thrilled to see that you thoroughly enjoyed Mazatlan and that El Cid Granada was an aid to accomplish that.

Thank you for sharing your comments about the wonderful service provided by Anastacio and Ramon at El Patio. Our entire staff is committed to making your entire stay as stress free as possible. We hope that yours was no different. Our staff's hospitality, generosity and attention are all yours. Every time.

Our hope is that other tremendous values at our hotel will continue to help guests choose El Cid Granada and we thank you for your comments.

Reno, NV
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2010

We have been staying at the El Cid Granada Country Club each year since 2000 and we enjoy the hospitality and hotel very much. Daniel Cazares, the manager, is a very good host to all the guests and the staff is very friendly and goes out of their way to make sure all of the guests are taken care of.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 21 January 2010
Dear RenoGolfer

Thank you for your review. We do take great pride in serving our guests as we would our own families. We consider our do our guests to be a part of our family in fact.

I will share your comments with Daniel and the entire staff. They take great pride in their service efforts. Daniel is a great asset to our hotel and guests.

We value you as a guest and look forward to seeing you again very soon for your next stay at El Cid Granada. Please let us know next time you are coming so we can make it even more extra special for you!

Best regards,

sd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2010

El Cid is a clean and beautiful place; rooms are gorgeous; pool was the perfect temperature; it is so comfortable and convenient to everything; it is such a wonderful place--I've been there several times and am returning again this year. Daniel at the front desk is a jewel, very helpful and easy to work with.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank travelmuchSd
Dear travelmuchSd

Thank you for your review. We do take pride in serving and we strive to provide memorable experiences for our guests and are glad you enjoyed your stay. Daniel is a wonderful person and we are lucky to have him on our team.

I am glad you found our hotel nice and we work everyday to keep it that way for our guest. This is important to us to have a hotel that our guests enjoy staying at. We hope everyone that stays here enjoys it as much as you did. We love it to!

Once again, thank you for your patronage and I (we) hope you are able to travel back to Mazatlan again soon!!

Langhorne, Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2010

the granada is a great hotel rooms are big, the staff is friendly AND WORK VERY HARD TO SEE THAT EVERYONE IS HAPPY DURING THEIR STAY AT THEIR HOTEL. DANIEL AT THE FRONT DESK IS SUCH A GEM HE TAKES GREAT PRIDE IN HIS STAFF AND IT CERTAINLY SHOWS.we look forward to our stay at granada every year> we will be there for a month during carnival and cannot wait till we get there. MR AND MRS BULIK Our daughter and her husband will be joining us in March Patty and Charlie Bonanno from Caoe Cod Massachusetts. He is a surfer and will be looking for the big waves of Mazatlan at Bruha, Patty loves Granadas beautiful pool.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 19 January 2010
Dear Blonddollbaby

Thank you very much for staying with us and for having taken the time for your kind comments about your experience in our Hotel.

We are happy that you liked our big rooms, the tranquil pool and our staff, specially our Front Desk team. Daniel will receive a big round of applause from all of us for the great impressions.

My team and I would welcome the opportunity to be your hosts once more in February, when your travel brings you back to Mazatlan to celebrate de Carnival.

In the meantime I wish you and your family all the best.

Saskatchewan, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2010

Yes this is a very dated resort, there is alot of work to be done to even make it a 2.5 star resort. Lot's of little things that need attention and I sure do hope there will be some in the near future. We spent most of our time at the pool by our hotel as we really didn't enjoy all the vendors on the beach. After 10 minutes we were sick of saying no, thank you, no thank you. There was never alot of people at that pool so we loved the quiet and the pool was nice and warm. I loved the buffet by the beach, great food even greater location! The food at the main buffet was good too, the tabletop we sat at was broken, their answer - put a piece of plywood over top. Not a big deal, but it just seems to me little things like that matter in the overall picture. The staff at the lounge were great - we are good tippers so got refills before our drinks were even finished. My husband used the gym everyday and said it was one ofthe best gyms he's seen in a long time. All right so what was my problem with this place? Some people my think I'm anal...... We preferred to eat at El Patio for breakfast - it was A la Carte so nice and fresh!! Everyone gets a basket of toast and sweet rolls, I thought that was great too until.....I seen the waiter put the rolls in the basket with his bare hands and I never seen him wash them first. One day I asked for a plate of fruit again the waiter (no gloves or anything) put the fruit on the plate with his bare hands! Yuck. A couple sitting next to us ordered some eggs with a sauce and it was dripping off the plate so the waiter wipes the sauce off with his hand and then wipes his hand on the side of the plate. Double YUCK! A couple days later waiting for our breakfast there was a group of six a couple of tables over, when they left and the waitors were cleaning off the table, instead of getting new cloth napkins...they just folded up the ones that were there and put them back on the table. I'm serious I seen it and so did my husband. That is just WRONG. You have no idea what that person did with that napkin, especially with H1N1 going around. I'm sorry I have no use for that kind of [--] at all. All I want to know is there a manager or something that even comes to see what is going on down there? .Normally I don't even write reviews because each person likes something different, we all have different tastes and different ideas of what we would like in a resort. But seeing that episode with the napkins really bothered me.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank magicbeach
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 14 January 2010
Dear magicbeach

It is with great interest that we have read about your impressions and perceptions of our resort, which you gathered during your recent vacation. I am really sorry to hear about your experience at our resort. We never take any complaint lightly, but your strongly negative feelings vented in the review took me completely by surprise! We were very shocked by the situation you have encountered with our waiter. El Cid Resorts are committed to implement all sorts of processes necessary to assure a hygienic handling on foods in every single facility in order to offer guests a full quality service. Our hotels have been awarded with Cristal Certification and Distinctive H. Both are recognitions to our eating areas for the hygienic handling and high quality of the food. Complies with the regulations established by the Mexican Tourism Secretary, under the recommendations performed by the World Health Organization (WHO), in order to promote service suppliers to improve their quality through food hygiene by willingly submit themselves to an operations checking regarding food surveillance. The whole process includes high quality standards in food and beverage purchasing, handling, unfreezing, cooking, maintenance and service; all important issues considered in order to recognize these efforts by the Tourism Ministry with this promotional incentive, the “H” Distinctive, which is also certified by the Ministry of Health. All of our hotels have been awarded these distinctions, which was won with the great efforts made to make our guests as comfortable as possible every time they visit us.

As a team we have used your review to correct many of the obvious problems that you stated in your review. We will definitely increace our reinforce trainings to assure a good development in all our areas including our restaurants.
I so wish you had spoken to any Manager or written abt your experience in the guest comments book on your checkout kept at the reception, for me to verify the same. My management team and I are always available to speak to concerning any problems our customers may be experiencing during their stay with us with the aims of resolving any issues and ensuring the rest of their visit to El Cid is an enjoyable experience.

I hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Regards,

Saskatchewan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2009

Stayed at the El Cid Granada because the rates were a little cheaper than at the other El Cid hotels because there were 5 of us travelling and budget was a little tight. Do not regret it at all!!!! We had 3 children with us ranging from age 5 to 19 and were given adjoining rooms near the front of the hotel. On Saturday night it was somewhat noisy from the Senor Frogs disco across the street and couldn't sleep so when we mentioned it to the front desk they gave us a choice of other rooms(let us check them out first) and moved us to a sutie farther away where it was quiet. Everyday we had walked across the skywalk to the larger hotel complex and would spend most of our day by the pool or on the beach. Then later in the afternoon when we had all had enough it was really nice to go back to our quiet hotel and swim and sit by the pool. Also the pool at the Granada is kept a lot warmer than the other pools (I think because it is generally a little older crowd staying at the Granada). The food was great at all the a la'carte restaurants, but I would skip the buffets as they were not very good. The Granada is a lot smaller but quieter and the staff couldn't have been better. On the day of our departure our flight was to leave earlier than planned and so our shuttle got bumped up. The front desk staff called our rooms but we were not in them, but because they knew who we were by name as soon as we walked through the lobby that morning they stopped us to let us know(don't think that would have happened at the larger hotel). The Granada's restaurant, El Patio, was one of the best and ate there a couple of times. We had the most amazing waiter ever! His name was Ricardo and he was an amazingly good and made sure our evening was just perfect, right from suggestions to cutting our 5 year olds steak for him. I have never had better service anywhere in life!! The rooms were quite spacious, but in some need of updating. Everything was always very clean, right from the rooms to the hallways to the public washrooms. Everywhere you went they were always, always cleaning. If you are young and want to be where the action is or are terribly picky about your rooms then this is not the place for you - I would recommend staying at the Castilla. But if you are just there to relax and actually sleep at night then this might be for you. The only compaint about the whole experience was the aggressive vendors on the beach in front of the El Cid, it made it almost impossible to relax when you went down to the beach as every 2 minutes someone was coming by your chair trying to peddle something. Overall we had an awesome time and would definately go back again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this review, 6 January 2010
Dear LukayJo

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feeback about your stay at El Cid Granada Country Club. We cannot begin to explain how happy we are to hear about your great experience in Mazatlan and at El Cid Resots. We strive to provide the best customer service that we can.
In addition to the upgrades you have already seen, we are continuing the process of renovating the rooms and hotel even further.

We are very happy to hear that you had such a great experience with our staff and restaurant El Patio, and would love for you to stay with us again the next time you visit Mazatlan.