“I spent two weeks at the Granada and I...”

El Cid Granada Country Club
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Mazatlan
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I spent two weeks at the Granada and I thoroughly enjoyed the stay. You can enjoy the buffets or as many ala cartes as you can fit in. The choice of pools to swim in are great. The waiters are quick to serve you with a smile. You won't find a better value for your dollar or peso. The beach is short but the surf is good. The food is typical all inclusive but is very well prepared and tasty. I will be back.

1  Thank Simmies
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2010

Dear Simmies

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at El Cid Granada Hotel & Country Club and for your fabulous comments.

We are glad to learn that we met your expectations. We strive in provide the best service delivery and offer the most modern and comfortable facilities.

It would be a pleasure in assisting with any special needs you may have in a future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Our family had a fabulous stay at the El Cid Granada in Mazatlan. The rooms were clean and comfortable, the food excellent in all the restaurants. We found the staff very helpful and we had exceptional service from Cesar Lopez Rivera.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank sarahhari
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Dear sarahhari

First of all thanks for the 5 starts and for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor.com concerning your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to read that overall your experience was great; comments such as yours encouarage us to give our best, in the daily work. Our commitment is that our guests enjoy every aspect of the hotel.

On behalf of all the staff, thanks again for your kind words, we expect to host you again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 10 July 2010

The hotel experience was weeeeeellll displeasing. From the time we walked in the door and saw the key boxes.... yes key boxes... (who even uses keys anymore?)... we were turned off. We wanted to make the best of it, but after checking in and noticing that the elevator fit about 2 people and was not ventillated, we new we were in for trouble.

The room was what took the cake. The room was completely outdated. They have not been renovated one bit since the seventies. The toaster, the walls, the beds, the bathroom, the... everything was OLD. The air conditioner was either off or on full blast. Those were the only two settings. Even when a room is outdated, the important thing is making sure the bathroom is comfortable. Not here. The tile was horrible. I definitely had to disinfect the toilet. The toilet wouldn't flush. And one day there was completely NO RUNNING WATER. This place actually hurt my feelings.

Here's the best part. The other two El Cid resorts are newer and look great!!! Everyone seemed so happy there. We even took a tour of one of the rooms there. We begged and pleaded to be moved but the hotel kept saying it was impossible to move us. If you like a comfortable stay with at least 1980's ammenities, don't go here. Oh yeah. No internet access unless you are downstairs in the lobby.

Mazatlan itself is beautiful, but from this experience, I probably won't be back. If you do decide to go, make sure you eat at a place called Poncho's. Food is good. And drinks are even better.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2010

Dear MinofMuzikJD

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at El Cid Granada Hotel & Country Club and for taking the time to comment on your experience.

We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations.
I´m concern to note that overall the room was not of your satisfaction, and for that, please accept my most sincere apologize and for all the inconveniences you may have due to this.

Since two years ago, El Cid Granada Hotel has been part of an extensive program of renovation on our guest´s rooms, and we still continue with this program until all rooms are completed; our main interest is to provide our guests with the most modern facilities.

Regarding your interest in moving to El Cid Castilla or El Cid Moro Hotel, I regret that due to occupancy those days, it was not possible, I would have been delighted to serve you at any of this two hotels.

I would appreciate if you give us another chance in the future and re-evaluate how we are doing, or even better, to host you at El Cid Castilla or El Cid Moro Beach Hotel.

All the best,

Mark Covarrubias Mckay,

Reviewed 1 July 2010

I obsessively read traveller reviews while trying to book a Mexican all-inclusive for five months running, and they were on the mark: El Cid Granada is inexpensive and delivers. You won't get all mod cons, of course, but who needs them? The quieter hotel at the back has its own square pool and Argentinian-themed outdoor restaurant, with great breakfasts, afternoon bar, and very salty steaks. Venture to the beachfront part of the complex for two giant freeform pools with waterfalls, a lunch buffet overlooking the beach, and the tucked-away Italian restaurant on the second floor with the best food we found. The main buffet is cavernous, horribly underlit and sunken below ground level, and the Mexican a la carte restaurant disappointing. Drinks taste gasoline-y but are brought with admirable promptitude whether you tip or not. The place is big enough to accommodate partiers, conventioneers, families with kids, Mexicans, Canadians, homey, and it's a great base for nice walks on the surf-pounded beach (vendors are annoying, but cluster at the loungers). Jellyfish and dangerous-conditions flags were up every day of our stay. Cleaning can be spotty - once we were told our room couldn't be cleaned because the maid's shift was over (!) and another time we were simply skipped - but if you insist, it will get done (slowly and eventually). Hotel is very responsive to any complaint you make.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank FunwithToddler
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2010

Dear FunwithToddler

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at El Cid Granada.

We really appreciated your detailed comments; they are of help to see how we are doing it. We are pleased to read that our waiters service was of your satistaction, all of them enjoy serving to all of you; your satisfaction is their best reward.

We take our guests comments seriously and have addressed them to the pertinent department managers to ensure our guest´s satisfaction.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 11 June 2010

Dear Mr. McKay,

I see that you often respond to the reviews here on TripAdvisor, so I thought I would write directly to you with my opinion of the El Cid Granada and its sister resorts.

As a businessman, I know that the level of quality and service I encountered at the El Cid could only come from staff who take a true ownership role in the resort. Everyone we encountered was efficient, dedicated and incredibly friendly. Their professionalism, from the servers to the hostesses to the maintenance workers, shines through in everything they do.

That kind of ownership is almost always a result of excellent management., and for that I congratulate you. You must be a true leader to inspire such an incredible level of customer service among your employees. Please pass along our highest regards.

I think what amazed me most about the experience is how little we paid for it! I would have been fine with just OK food and service because we got such a fantastic deal. Instead, I felt like we were in a five-star resort because of the quality of food and drink, and the exceptionally friendly, professional and efficient service.

The El Cid Granada is an absolute gem that I will recommend highly to everyone I know. My wife and I already look forward to our next visit. Keep up the good work, Mr. McKay.

Regards,
Scott Sakatch
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Snerro
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2010

Dear Mr. Sakatch

First of all thank you for such a valuable feedback and for all your compliments.
I really appreciate the time taken to share your experience. We take seriously our guest´s comments, they give us the tools to improve where is required.

Indeed, it is a pleasure to me to have contact direct with our guests, as well as responding to each one of their reviews, I thank to all our guests that allow me to contribute in having a pleasant stay.

It is really encouraging for us to read that we exceeded your expectations. Our objective is to provide the highest quality in service delivery and facilities.

Mr. Sakatch, rest assured that we will keep the good work. All the staff and I personally will be waiting for you and your wife to serve you again.

Please, if you need any assistance for you next stay, do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Your friend,

Reviewed 11 June 2010

Stayed at the El Cid Granada Feb. 25 to Mar. 4, 2010 with 2 friends. Of course we met more friends while there and had a blast with them all.
Loved every minute of it. The resort is so big you don't get bored. We had the suite - so certainly enjoyed the extra room and esp. the extra bathroom. Enjoyed the meals and the drinks. Be sure to try their Sangria - very refreshing.

Because it was such a great vacation my husband and I are going back for our anniversary in August. We are a little concerned about the rainy season. But at the same time are confident we'll get lots of sunshine too. We will enjoy all the El Cid amenities and are really looking forward to checking out the fitness centre. I know it will be hard to decide which of the amazing al a cartes to dine at for our anniversary.

Am very excited to be going back so soon and to sharing what I've enjoyed at El Cid and in Mazatlan with my husband.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank charpaw
CSElCid, General Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2010

Dear charpaw

Thank you for taking the time to write such kind comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I´m delighted that you found our hotel perfect for your needs. Our commitment is to provide the best delivery service and product to each one of our guests.

Your kind words encourage us to continue working hard day to day to exceed our guest´s expectations.

I´m excited to read that you are planning to come back again in August at this your home, El Cid Granada Hotel to celebrate your anniversary; i´ll be grateful with you if you contact me directly and allow me to contribute in making the necessary arrangements for your celebration´s dinner.

Until soon!!!

Reviewed 1 May 2010

Don't miss chateaubriand night (Fridays) at the El Cid Country Club. For 450 pesos (about $40 US you get chateaubriand, frenh vegs potatoe, salad and a bottle of wine. Great value and great price for great food

We didn't stay at the hotel (we did back in 1991 and it was fine) but have eaten at the country clib twice this trip

Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RBTREAT
CSElCid, Manager at El Cid Granada Country Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2010

Dear RBTREAT

First of all, thank you for your review, i´m delighted that you enjoyed our Chateaubriand night at our Prime Grill Restaurant wich is ubicated in the Country Club.

Our goal is not just meet the expectations of our guests and visitors, it is overcome them.

We look forward to having the sincere pleasure of welcoming you back in a near future.

Warm regards,