“Stay Here”
Review of Stone Island Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mazatlan
Stone Island Hotel
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Rooms in the new building were efficient and excellent. This was a place we enjoyed away from the Golden Zone-extreme relaxation. The town of Stone Island was safe and typical of non-tourist Mexico.
Anna was a gracious and beautiful hostess. Her and Gary’s pride in their family business is apparent. Ask her about anything you need during your stay- she can make it happen.
Best dishes at Carmalita’s include the whole fish mackerel and coconut shrimp; must haves. Paulo served the bust margaritas in Mazatlan beachside.
We hope to return in the future and look forward to a happy reunion with our ‘chofer,’ Fidel- a very handsome gentleman.
Gary is a man of few words via email but don’t let that worry you. It will be a great stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the ocean in the new building.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sissy1980

Reviewed 15 October 2012

I've been traveling to Mazatlan for almost 10 years now. I own a timeshare in the penthouse of one of Mazatlan's most renown, established, and upscale resorts. Every year, I arrive a few days before my check in date to maximize my actual days on vacation (vs days taken off work). This has made me intimately familiar with the full spectrum of accommodation options that the city has to offer.

Every time I do the "Stone Island Tour" I find myself completely enchanted with the peace and tranquility of Mazatlan's Stone Island and beach. I am never ready to leave when the tours come to an end. As a result, this year I decided (for the few days before my timeshare) I would attempt to stay on Stone Island. This search led to my discovery of the pure gem that is Stone Island Gardens.

For those of you have that been to Stone Island you know that the island has a very rustic feel and charm. I was a little concerned about the quality of the accommodations in such a seemingly rustic location. I could not have been more wrong. The property is gorgeous! In fact the main building was just completed several years ago so the property is relatively new, and it shows. All the units are all very clean and well maintained. There is also a beautiful garden on the property. The location is ideal. Right on the beach. The staff, phenomenal! Welcoming, friendly, and overly hospitable. It felt like staying with family. The entirety of the experience was so overwhelming that I fell in love with this place. So much so that I decided to extend my vacation.

After checking out of my timeshare, I returned to Stone Island Gardens. I wound up staying an additional 2 months. Perhaps the happiest 2 months of my life. The beach, the food, the people, the lifestyle. My time there was nothing short of perfect.

The internet was surprisingly reliable. This was VITAL for me. I require a reliable use of internet to conduct my business and I could not have stayed for the length of time that I did without such a reliable connection. I loved my kitchen and fridge. The beds and sheets were new clean and comfy. A/C worked like a charm. I couldn't have asked for more.

I have been coming to Mazatlan for many years and this was hands down the best experience and value I have ever come across. In fact, I haven't found such value anywhere in any of my travels throughout Mexico. I loved Stone Island Gardens so much that I encouraged friends and family to come visit me during my time there. All in all 5 different friends and family members came. Each and every one of them was very impressed. I was so proud to call Stone Island Gardens my home for the brief time that it was. I can't wait to go back!!!!!!!!!

Lastly, during my time there I became very familiar with stores, restaurants, transportation and ect so please feel free to message me with any questions

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Reese415
Reviewed 21 September 2012

This is a fantastic place to hang your hat for a while. Be it a few days or a month - you can not go wrong. Ana and Gary are fantastic hosts both in the hotel or the restaurant. The rooms are spotless and well maintained. The maids do a fantastic job keeping up the rooms during your stay. I highly recommend taking the shuttle service available from the airport - it is a ride you will not soon forget. There is a vegetable truck and a seafood truck that come by regularly to stock your kitchen, as well as several local stores for the basics if you feel the need to cook. The restaurant can also fill your needs morning, noon and night with wonderful and inexpensive food. I highly recommend booking a stay and checking it out - you will come back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Schmingie
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Stone Island Gardens Hotel was the perfect respite. Gary and Ana could not have been more welcoming. This trip to Mazatlan was made for medical/dental diagnosis and treatment, and I had stayed with the friend facilitating the care during most of the trip. The hotel stay came at a perfect time and was a very unexpected luxury. They even made me toast the first night when I was very ill after a root canal on an abscessed tooth.

. . . I stayed in the newer condo style tower in room 102 with an ocean view.. The room was , very clean. The maid came daily to mop. The king size bed has reading lamps installed in both sides of the headboard. (a small English language library is in the hall) A real treat for a reader like myself! I loved falling asleep to the sound of the surf. New mattresses, sheets, towels, great water pressure, and an ocean view made it luxurious. The refrigerator freezer easily held a big bag of ice for my protein smoothies.. I did not prepare meals, other than smoothies or fresh avocados and mango's this trip, but you could easily prepare meals with the 4 burner stove-top and the provided kitchen basics. A blender was not in the room, and they quickly provided me with one. There was an ocean view balcony with table and 2 chairs just waiting for your margarita and a book, or just watching the waves or sunset. It was perfect for storm watching. This would be the perfect room for a romantic getaway!

Being the summer season their AC was pure bliss, though honestly with the ocean breeze and ceiling fan I only needed it once or twice during the thunder storms when the humidity and the temps rose. There is local cable TV and wireless. At night, I watched several good movies dubbed in Spanish. Great practice!

The fruit and vegetable vendor stops every day, and I purchased fresh local mango's right across the street for 5 pesos. Further out, on the back road to the airport, whole 5 gallon buckets of fresh mango's can be purchased for 30 pesos!. . Fresh local seafood is available for purchase at the harbor. Though with Carmelita's Restaurant right there, cooking is not a necessity. They made me an egg white omelet every day. Carmeltia's went out of their way to help me stick to my current medical diet. It was torture not having their delicious cerviche!

Owners Gary and Ana, their family and the staff could not have been more accommodating. I spent day after day on a lounge chair under the shade of a palapa reading and sipping coconut water. There was no pressure, only encouragement to rest and heal. There is nothing like an afternoon siesta with the surf in the background. The ocean water itself was wonderfully warm. People were in it for hours! .

It was a short walk to the water taxi for doctor and dentist appointments in Mazatlan. If it was too hot or I was not up to walking, I took a taxi to the boat from the hotel. 30 pesos. I went to a small tienda or store, on the Isla to print my boarding pass, and there are many small tiendas if you want to have snacks or beverages in your room.. Bagged ice is available next door.

I hope to visit again for pleasure!

Room Tip: Stone Island is very quiet at night, so any room is going to be quiet. However, during the day, the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank skagit
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We'll go back to this hotel and Stone Island every year if we can. We stayed 6 days and loved everything about this little island hotel. Great and friendly service and lots to do if you want to or you can just lie on the chaises longues on the beach and drink. Ten minute ferry ride to Mazatlan every 10 or 15 minutes. But who wants to go to crowded Mazatlan when this island paradise has everything you may need. The owners are super friendly and so are the ALL the locals. The rooms have no phones but TV and internet are available and all is extremely new and clean.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dmgalland
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This is, by far, the cleanest and most modern place on Stone Island. Great internet, the AC is quiet, the showers actually have pressure beyond that of gravity. Very nice accommodations. Every morning I woke up to a view right out of a Corona commercial. Gary does his best to make sure you have everything you need. There are kitchenettes and even weights for working out if you need them. I will be back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank CliveDexx
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stone Island Gardens is a hidden gem, mostly overlooked by tourists because of its location off the beaten track! Gary, Anna, and staff are some of the nicest people you could meet. With the attached beachside restaraunt and in room kitchenettes, meals are conveniant and delicious. Only steps to the beach and excellent views are an added bonus. Hotel is very new and rates are more than reasonable by the day, week or month. Mazatlan is an easy watercab ride away. Location is key, being in a small seaside village removed from the city itself. This means a relaxing and enjoyable stay with friendly folk all around! Much recommended!!!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple