“World Class”

Cross street: Between Josefa Ortiz de Dominguez and Leona Vicario
San Francisco, California
“World Class”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Along with Cafe des Artistes, we have been going to Cocina de Autor for 10 years. It was actually our first meal at chef Thierry Blouet's restaurants. I am a huge fan of Thierry's theory of food. He is able to raise even the simplest of ingredients to an art form. Starting with the frestest of local ingredients he transforms what could be an incongruous or prosaic mess in less competant hands, into visual and gastronomic art. You almost don't want to eat the beautifully composed dishes. But don't stop, the taste combinations are sublime. Some favorites on our last trip are the ravioli "rockefeller" that raises spinach ravioli to the highest level, a tuna cube with an exquisitely smoked tomato sauce that brought out the best qualities of the fresh dense fish, the house-made velvety salmon gravlax served with classic garnishes but still latin in flair and a succulent filet mignon stuffed with oxtail in a rich red wine sauce. The wine pairings could not be more perfect. I have become an enormous fan of South American wines because of this restaurant, but they always pick the best wines for the dish regardless of nationality and they are always able to suggest wines that accomodate the individual's taste. I have come to trust their taste implicitly, but the extensive wine list will have something for every taste. Lastly, the house-made deserts are not to be missed no matter how much you have eaten. The stellar souffles, rich chocolate, creamy pastries and super ripe fuit requires a naughty indulgence be had by all.

The staff is incredibly knowledgable, professional and gracious. As with Cafe des Artistes, is it not at all stuffy. We have come to know Thierry who is incredibly gracious and charming. The Maitre d', Polo, is an absolute treasure. They are able to balance what few resaurants can - top notch service without being overly solicitous and in your way. You never feel that you are being rushed or that anyone is hovering over you. We are always treated like friends and family, not just patrons.

The interiors were recently remodelled and have incorporated part of the garden with wall-to-wall glass doors. They have included a rock wall fountain that provides subtle and relaxing water sounds during dinner. The artistic eye of Thierry Blouet is in every detail and it is a contemporary masterpiece - comfortable, warm and inviting. The garden area sits under a flowering tree that towers over the tables and gracefully drops the occasional bloom nearby. Stunning bay views and gorgeous sunsets make any meal a sensory feast. The tables are generously spaced but there is always that pleasant buzz that energizes a room.

There are not enough desciptives in the Engish language to explain how much I love this restaurant. It is a restaurant we will always go to when we are in town. For a World Class evening - this is not to be missed.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank William B

Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Disappointing start but nice meal”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Heads up : this is a comment more about management of cafe des artistes and cocina de autor.

I was waiting to come to this restaurant to celebrate my 5th anniversary. I asked the hotel to book a reservation for June 6 and for Cocina de Autor, not Cafe des Artistes. The concierge did so while I waited. My Spanish is decent so I know she specifically booked Cocina de Autor for June 6 at 8pm. Her confirmation email to me also indicated Cocina de Autor.

When we arrived tonight, we were seated in Cafe des Artistes. I immediately knew something was wrong but the hostess kept brushing off my question by telling me that no, my reservation was at Cafe des Artistes. I knew I wasn't wrong as I witnessed the booking with my own ears. It irked me that someone was telling me something I knew to be untrue. Finally, after asking the waiter why we were seated in Cafe des Artistes, he explained that Cocina de Autor closed last week!!!

I wish when we made the reservation that we would be informed that Cocina de Autor would be closed so that I could a) decide for myself if I wouldn't mind the change or b) ask for a recommendation elsewhere from the concierge that would be a great experience - like watching the sunset at dinner or something. By not being upfront, my choice was taken from me which I think is a bit shady. I had the expectation of one dining experience, hence my desire to reserve a table and ended with another... Though the food was good and they made a nice celebratory display for our dessert.

The world won't come to an end because of what happened but it was disappointing regardless. The tasting menu was good but I wanted the EXPERIENCE as well as the food which kind of took away from what I wanted to celebrate with my husband.

Will I go back? I don't know. Will I tell people to go? I don't know.

• Visited June 2013
6 Thank Parissa B
Guadalajara, Mexico
“A UNIQUE AND WONDERFUL DINING EXPERIENCE!!!”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My wife and I had gone to dine at Cafe de Artist (same owner and right next to it) Both restaurants use the same entryway, to the right there are steps that lead you to Cocina de Autor. Since our experience was outstanding at the Cafe Artis we decided to return to Cocina de Autor!
Again upon entering the small lobby we were greeted with a friendly attitude by all present and somehow you knew you were going to be pampered. The dining area is much smaller than Cafe Artist but very warm atmosphere. Once you are seated you know you are going to be taken care of. There is a small terrace that is separated by two or three steps from a dining room just a small railing separating the two. All in all you felt like you were in the same room but yet different.

The terrace has a wonderful back black brick waterfall wall surrounded by numerous large leaf plants and a wonderful old but old tree on one corner. Once we chose and the hostess took us to our table our servers came immediately and introduce themselves, it was Alejandro, Alexis and Luis. Alejandro was the captain type and he was the one that introduced his colleagues. Alejandro was like a captain and coordinator. Alejandro also explained the concept of the restaurant, which is one of a kind which specializes in wine pairing with six entries (you could also order from an a la cart menu.) Once you choose the pairing menu, you do not know what will be served. The order has a very reasonable price of $699 and the wine is priced at $60 a glass. You could also limit the amount of glasses of wine you choose, we chose three, one white and two red. Of course if you have a dislike for a specific food and or allergy you tell the Captain/Coordinator, my wife did this and in this case Alejandro quickly took note and happily complied, you knew they were there to please you.
The first dish that was brought was a courtesy finger dish, it was an empanada which was delicious it was in a special sauce that tasted wonderful. They started to bring one dish at a time, in our case it was a different dish for each one of us, and they were brought by Alexis and Luis and each dish was explained as to its ingredients and how it was prepared. The wine was brought out and explained as to how it pair with the dish by Alejandro. These dishes by the way are selected by the chefs!
The entire dinner along with the atmosphere and the outstanding service was a great experience! The portions were very accommodating and we cannot overstate the great service provided by Alejandro, Alexis and Luis. By the end of the dessert my wife and I were very satisfied and felt that we had been treated like royalty.

Chef Thierry Blouet had this great concept, truly one of a kind, and our compliments to him, we look forward to our next return to PV just to enjoy a stay at both of his restaurants!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Hector B
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 18 May 2013

This place was awesome. The outdoor seating, the wine pairing, the six course meal- simply amazing! The service was great, the food was presented well, our glass was never left empty. Can't wait to go back....

• Visited May 2013
Vancouver, Canada
“WONDERFUL”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Last night, my friend Janis and I had a wonderful experience at Blouet Cocina de Autor. Our waiters Luis and Manuel gave us a more than excellent service. They were professional and friendly. The food was very good. The ambiance very nice. I love the cascade on the wall and all the plants. A place to go back again.
Monique