“Enjoyable Week”

Villa del Mar Beach Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #67 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We stayed at the del Mar from March 29 to April 5. We had room 416 and had a lovely time. Our room was a 1 bdrm with two bathrooms, king bed, tv in bedroom and living room, kitchen stocked with anything we needed. The room was a little dated but still very nice. We had maid service every day. It is quieter than the Palmar but if you want activities and games you can go over there. We really liked the gym. Great equipment and lots of it. They even had a room for pilates. Wi-fi was free but only in the lobby. Its right on the bus line and across from the mall where Soriana is located. We walked to several restaurants nearby. We stayed here on an RCI exchange and went to the Flamingo presentation but didn't buy. Not a high pressure saleman maybe because he wasn't feeling well. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: All the rooms face the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank mosey48

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The hotel grounds are beautiful kept, I was very impressed. It is connected to the Villa del Palmar, so you are able to use their facilities as well. Including the Palmar's, there are a total of 3 pools and 2 jacuzzi's so you can choose whichever you want (the quiet or the loud). There are tons of activities going on for both adults and kids so there is never really a dull moment. There are 3 restaurants on site, all reasonably priced and also a mini-supermarket which has an even cheaper deli (with some yummy smoothies). There is a bus stop conveniently located right in front of the resort that takes you downtown and to the malecon. The gym is very well equipped and kept clean at all times. I was able to find a beach-chair every time so I never had a problem with people reserving them. They attempted to pitch a time-share to me, but after I said I wasn't interested they left it alone.

I want to give a special shout out to Miguel - the guest tour planner. He was very professional, friendly and worked with my interests and budget to give me the best and most affordable tourist experience of Puerto Vallarta. Also to Margarita who gave me coupons for 3 free margarita's during my stay :)

The downsides of the hotel was the spotty internet in the room, service was great everywhere except when I stepped into my room. I wasn't too happy about that since I paid $35 for it (3 days) and I needed to do some work on my computer. Also the rooms were a bit outdated and smelled slightly of insecticide, but otherwise it was clean and comfortable. The TV had only a few English channels, but really who goes to Mexico to watch TV?!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Lola O
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Paradise in Mexico, A beautifully kept and spotlessly clean resort. The rooms are bit dated in the del Mar area, but really, how much time do you spend in your room while in Mexico. Staff is friendly and welcoming. We would like to thank Claudia Gonzalez; she was our Guest Services contact and she gave us excellent service with room reservations and met all of our needs. Our room was looked after perfectly by Martina (who was always so very accomodating - thank you so very much). She surprised us many times with her talent of making different animal shapes with our towels. Villa Del Mar is a smaller hotel behind the Villa Del Palmar. It has it's own pool and hot tub area (very quiet) with 5 buildings surrounding it. We hear that this property might be demolished after next year....we hope not. As a guest of Villa Del Mar, you are entitled to all of the facilities of Villa Del Palmar which is the beachfront resort portion. Villa Del Palmar is also, beautifully kept and spotlessly clean and offers 2 additional sparklingly clean pools and a hot tub, 2 delicious restaurants and lovely sandy beach. All staff speak English. Smaller and more intimate than some of the huge resorts in Puerto Vallarta, but sometimes that's better. That is definitely the case at Villa Del Mar.

Room Tip: Building A can be noisy as it backs onto the main street
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Beautifully kept, spotlessly clean. The rooms are bit dated, but really, how much time do you spend in your room while in Mexico. As long as the beds are comfortable and it's clean. And the beds ARE comfortable. Staff is friendly and welcoming. They do try to get you to attend a "breakfast presentation" which is your "timeshare accosting", but you can comfortably decline without too much hassle. Villa Del Mar is a smaller hotel behind the Villa Del Palmar. It has it's own pool and hot tub area (very quiet) with 5 buildings surrounding it. Most of the hotel is not on the street unless you are unlucky enough to get the building facing the street, in which case I would ask to be moved. As a guest of Villa Del Mar, you are entitled to all of the facilities of Villa Del Palmar which is the beachfront resort portion. Villa Del Palmar is also, beautifully kept and spotlessly clean and offers 2 additional sparklingly clean pools and a hot tub, 2 delicious restaurants and lovely sandy beach. All staff speak English. Fantastic value and while there, have the cheeseburger on beach menu...best I've had anywhere and the fries are to die for.... :) Smaller and more intimate than some of the huge resorts in Puerto Vallarta, but sometimes that's better. That is definitely the case at Villa Del Mar.

Room Tip: any room at Villa Del Mar except Street side...Any at Villa Del Palmar as all face toward the pool...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cnb2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Place very well maintained, staff very friendly. Drinks and food very good. Rooms nice and comfortable. Definitely would go back. It is a time share location and they do encourage you on check in to take the briefing for time share, but if you do not want to you have to be firm and they respect your decision.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shelley R
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I have never seen front office people be so rude and disrespectful. It is because of us that you have a job. Customer service makes me never want to return to this place ever!
Other then that the location is fantastic, central to everything. Rooms good, pool bar good aswell. If you can tolerate lack of customer service then this is your place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank danielle t
Reviewed 27 September 2013

well i said id go back and see if they could makethe wrongs right!! I am not a difficult person at all,very trusting ,and love Vallarta been going there for over 20 years..last year we bought into the Villa del Palmar/Mar hotel I used it for the first time a couple months ago and was dissapointed as I mentioned in a previous review so I decided to go again and see if it was a one time bad experience ..well it wasnt...
I will start with the positives
FOOD : for a resort that does All inclusive and not the food is good..if it isnt on the menue or buffet ask them they will make it for you
POOL/BEACH SERICE - Fransisco and george are great above and beyound..the other waiters enrique ect are good.
POOLS: ther are a total of 3 , 2 on the Palmar side and 1 on the mar side
swim up bar has never been opened and if it was the pool is really deep there so possible accident waiting to happen after a few..
there is no specific adult only pool it would be nice.
BEACH- thereis security that makes sure the vendors dont cross the rope unless you call them up to you..
Stores/Maret- there is a small boutique at the popol area that sells ice cream ,swim suits blow ups and toys pricing not bad for a resort ..they dont do cash it is all billed to your room.
Market out front takes cash - but you can still just bill to your room. it has a deli, and food(grocery type) souviners....
Problems---Since you dont need cash anywhere on the resort and you sign for your bill even if doing the all inclusive(shows you what ther cost would of been to you) this can be an issue and was. How many of you have gone away with others and when it comes to your room number you may say 4152 instead of 5142 it happens....
Well here is the big problem you give your room number and if you are new and into your 1st/2nd day the waiters who usually remember you and your rooom # assume that the number you gave is correct. They go to the computer enter what you had done..Well what can happen is the wrong # is given by someone and when you go to check out you can have charges that you never made especially from the stores..this happened to me a person went said my room number (yes they were an outside guest) and sigend a name to the reciept NOT mine but to my room #. Once I found this out I spppoke with front desk and was informed that wasnt right they would bring it to managements attention and let me know..the next day i spoke with the front desk manager his attitude was non caring!! He informed me that if I didnt pay for the items i didnt use/buy the staff would have to...are you kidding me..write the food off as a promo..take a loss on the other but your staff really they dont make enough to cover the charges why punish them!!!!
I suggested that guests show ther room card before being allowed to sign toshow they are guests that suggestion fell on deaf ears..he had no customer service skills or want to make this right..to me if you treat a member like this how will you help a one time guest ????
Then we paid for the ALL Inclusive for 6 days on the last day which was day 6 for the AI they billled us for breakfast...didnt offer to remove that either
My suggestion is this either do the AI through a package deal (air-hotel) or dont do it. The AI is usually a better way to go.
There are better -nicer resorts in Vlllarta.
I will never use my points to stay at my home resort again.
I was going to book my friends wedding at this hotel and after 2 not great trips I have taken the buisness else where to the GB never had a problem at that hotel..
Id be interested to see if anyone contacts me from the hotel in response to my reviews and how they plan to fix and make it right..

Room Tip: Building closest to the beach 4th or 5th floor rooms starting in 41..look over pool and beach great...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends