“NOISY/DIRTY AND REFUSED REFUND”
Review of Amaca Hotel

Amaca Hotel
Reviewed 5 July 2012

We were looking forward to a peaceful, comfortable hotel stay but when we checked in our ocean view room looked out at a construction site dumpster - we tried to move but no upper floor were available. The clerk told us construction goes on 6 days a week starting at 8am. The room was Spartan to be kind, not clean, the toilet was in the open, no door, and air conditioning wasn't working well. Rooftop pool/bar was dirty, dusty, and uninviting. We left without spending one of our four nights and asked the clert to have the owner/manager e-mail us to discuss a refund. Sad to say, despite their misreprenting the hotel, they have refused to refund any of the nights that were pre-paid via Hotels.com. The owner doesn't care about repeat business - avoid this place!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JPLA90069

Reviewed 13 March 2012

I just had the best vacation in Puerto Vallarta and I have to say staying at this hotel made it that much better. Bill and the entire staff really made my trip. They were always willing to give me advice on places to go out, eat, etc...It was so nice to have all the guys there, Ignacio, Manny, Romeo take such good care of me. They all were so helpful and so friendly. I was staying there by myself and by the end of my stay I felt like I had made new friends. The roof top bar is awesome and you can't get a better sunset view. The rooms were great, simple but very well done. All the fixtures, bed, art etc was chosen with a great eye. And I had the most amazing view from my room to watch the sun come up every morning. You can call and speak to Ignacio about which room might be the best for you as each one is different. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place in PV.

Room Tip: Call and speak to Ignacio. They are all different and some have views of the water, the hilss, etc...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I recently had a 9 night stay at Amaca and loved it. Everything was perfect, the employees, management, etc. all amazing. Rooms are great, clean and bright and love the Hammocks! If I have to say one thing it would only be to make WI-FI available in ALL rooms. Other than that great location, comfy beds, loved the fruit, coffee, pastries, etc., for breakfast and love the roof top bar and lounge area...simply said the property and staff are amazing, a definite property that I will revisit!
One thing that would be nice to have in the rooms would be a small fridge and possibly your own coffee maker :)

Room Tip: Room 302 is fantastic!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is clearly a property in transition, owner is very present and manager is fantastic. Roof top bar is great too! The cons, primitive bath facilities, no in room coffee or refrigerator.

If they pumped some money into the bathrooms and added a fridge, in room safe and coffee maker it would be spot on. I have no doubt they will get there as the staff and management are very enthusiastic and really want to please. It is owned and operated by Americans so they are very easy to deal with.

If you are booking call the manager Ignacio directly to discuss rooms because every one is different.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

It's a hotel that has the coziness and charm of a B&B. The roof-top pool and bar lets you hang out with friends zipping Magarita surrounded by gorgeous panoramic view of the town and sunset. It's not a large property and the owners and staff are always available to attend to details. Checking in and out took no time.

The trade-off with the great view is of course that it has to be situated a bit up the hill and so you have to climb stairs or walk a slope from town to reach it. But if you can handle that, it's very well worth the effort. I do like that is within 10 mins walk to all the bars and clubs without being right next to them. (The local bars and clubs tend to broadcast loud music for the whole neighborhood to "enjoy".) We were able to sleep blissfully quiet at night when we want to.

We stayed in a premium room with a large bathroom and shower that does not have the privacy issue that other reviewers were complaining about.

Room Tip: Get a room where the bathroom has a real door.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Pros:
-The views from the roof are spectacular
-Nice staff
-Clean and Comfortable Beds

Cons:
-There are no doors separating your bedroom from the bathroom. Yes, you read that correctly. The only bathroom privacy you can get is by closing a flimsy shade that doesn't even reach the floor. This is the case in multiple rooms as I checked out my friend's room. If you are staying with someone you need to send them outside if you need any privacy.
-There is no shower, only a shower head that comes out of the wall onto the floor so the bathroom floor gets wet and dirty once you've showered.
-The water pressure is inconsistent so often the toilet wouldn't flush or the shower would be scalding hot.
-There is no pool, just a freezing cold small cloudy fountain that no one ever got into during our 5-day stay.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 18 November 2011

We have a great time during happy hour at the rooftop pool/bar at the Amaca Hotel! The owner Bill, bartender Manny and server Oscar couldn't have been fun and welcoming! We went there every night for 2 weeks. While we didn't stay there, Bill was nice enough to show us the rooms. Each room is different and has a hammock (amaca). They are incredible! I highly recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: You'll need to decide the view you want - ocean, mountain, city. Some have all 3.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends