“Horrid . . .avoid at all costs !!!”
Review of Amaca Hotel

Amaca Hotel
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The hotel has amazing views and a pleasant staff, but they decide to turn the rooftop deck into a blaring disco making it entirely impossible to do anything but be subjected to hearing a constant thump, thump of music. I feel extremely sorry for anyone who lives near the hotel as it is completely unacceptable to have to tolerate this assault on the ears! I came to relax and not be subjected to be booked into the inside of a disco . . .even for the party goers this place has no redeeming assets to even slightly recommend it. Stay far, far away !

Room Tip: Do not stay here !!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank charioteer16

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Some friends and I had a fun and relaxing stay at Amaca Hotel on a recent weekend getaway. We absolutely LOVED it here.

I really enjoyed the cozy and non-touristy feel of Amaca vs. the resort I stayed in on my last visit to PV. Each room is different, and you can tell there is a lot of love put into the design and decoration.

If you feel like exploring the town, the staff are very helpful, and can give you suggestions on the best places in the neighborhood to eat, drink, swim, snorkel, hike, etc. There is plenty you can walk to in this cute area, including shopping, and restaurants where you can be seated on the beach, just a few steps from the water.

If you feel like relaxing at the hotel, you can sit in the pool on the roof and order some fresh ceviche (some of the best I've ever had) and one of Juan's famous micheladas while enjoying the beautiful view up and down the coast. You can also take a nap in your in-room hammock, or enjoy the ocean breeze while you read a book on your balcony.

I would definitely recommend this place to any of my friends and family. I already miss Amaca Hotel - planning my next trip!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor with a balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Avtar K
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I just want to say I loved the staff here. With that said, I feel the place was on a slippery slope. The year before was so much fun. The spark was gone. Part of that was a huge new hotel being built that stole there view of the sunset. Not there fault but still a bummer. There was no internet access. The bathroom had paint pealing off the floor in the shower. Breakfast was include but stopped after the first few days. (we stayed for 2 weeks) The roof bar that was so much fun the year before was closed. I wish the family who bought the place much luck. I would love to come back and see it up and running again. It really is a nice place with good energy.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank welltraveled1973
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My only complaints are very firm bed, a little run down and the steps from town. But the staff was very accommodating, the hotel was quiet, the pool was refreshing, the room was clean, the sheets were soft, the towels smelled amazing and the balcony was heavenly. This hotel is coming back with new owners after being closed and run down. There is still work that needs to be done, but I can see that this will one day be a great hotel. Right now it is a very good hotel. If you are looking for a party atmosphere then don't stay here. If you don't mind walking up more than a few stairs, like a quiet evening, enjoy a refreshing pool and like hammocks then this is the place for you! The staff really makes your stay as enjoyable as possible and the stairs do bring you into the heart of the Zona Romantica.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I arrived in Puerto Vallarta on December 30th with a booking at another hotel. Surprise! Overbooking, and nowhere to go. I was told the Amaca had just reopened a week before and with little choice left, I decided to check it out. The people running the hotel now were so welcoming I had no doubt. Indeed, you can see it has just reopened, freshly painted rooms, some things missing, internet not working properly but, hey, both Beto and Francisco did all they could to make my stay excellent. Their hospitality will make me want to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank dbeeson
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I was so excited for my long weekend getaway to Puerto Vallarta. I got a taxi from the airport (which was very easy). The taxi ride was about a half an hour to the Amaca from the airport. I arrive at the hotel and IT'S CLOSED! (see picture) I couldn't believe my eyes! There was a 'for rent' sign hanging below the Amaca sign! I called the phone number and got a recording. I left countless messages, knocked at the door, yelled, emailed and was completely in shock that I got taken. I ended up dragging my luggage down a hill toward the beach and was VERY lucky to find a hotel that had a room available for my entire stay in Vallarta. I lost hundreds of dollars because they said I had to pay 'in full' to get the better room rate and the 'get one night free' deal.
I had a good cry the day I arrived, but ended up having a wonderful time in Vallarta at another lovely hotel on the beach. Live and learn.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
11  Thank Helen O
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Reserved and paid for a King Bed room and was sent to a 2 Double bed room. We called to rectify and were told that we were "upgraded" because all King rooms were taken. While walking down the hallway you can hear everyone's conversations through the doors whether you want to or not. The bathroon is FILTHY and had mold! The rooms look NOTHING like what was on there website. Linens are old, leaking air conditioner (onto a wet tile floor). Had 1 face towel in room and asked for more - an attendant came to the door with 2 washcloths. Hole in ceiling. We asked for a refund or a partial refund so we could move to a new hotel and they refused. Would NEVER recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple