“Great GEM in the marina!"”

Victor's Place Cafe Tacuba
Ranked #36 of 1,031 Restaurants in Puerto Vallarta
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Las Vegas
“Great GEM in the marina!"”
Reviewed 7 August 2010

As several trips, I ate ate Victor's 3 out of 7 evenings and was always happy. The shot with Victor each night, the GREAT food and marina view - not to mention the wonderful food - made this visit WONDERFUL!!! Wtih the varied menu, it is easy to eat at Victor's several times in a week - fish, Mex, steak, etc - but the friendly and helpful staff and of course, Victor's shot fo the "T" with you at your table and kind talk make for a GREAT dinning experience!

2 Thank Funlv1

San Francisco, California
“Social hangout with decent food”
Reviewed 2 July 2010

Having been to Victor's half a dozen times, I may have a different experience from people (previous reviews) who go there at night and get the free tequila and meet Victor and have a good old time.

The first time we went there in 2008, we had that experience and it was fun. It was raining and we arrived wet for an early evening dinner and were waited on *to the max.* We had an awesome time. We had a fish dish which seemed reasonably priced for dinner and Victor and his waiters were very solicitous, with the free shot of tequila to go with our margaritas and the beautiful, colorful after dinner drink. Good food, and a fun place. Outstanding service and attention. We loved it.

Two days later, we went for a late breakfast before leaving for the airport and we found it fine but nothing special. Nothing like having dinner there. Chilaquiles were fine. I like them crunchy and they were. Small serving but good. Victor was not there. Service was fine however, and we enjoyed our meal.

On my next three trips, I (sometimes solo and sometimes with friends) went to Victor's for lunch --- between noon and 2pm. At one point (late lunch) I took a friend and she was very disappointed as I'd talked it up so much. She thought it was terrible (she had eaten downtown several times before our meal) and she wanted to know where her free shot of tequila was, as we'd ordered margaritas and they put our bill on the table -- no free shot. So she asked the waiter for *her free shot* (based on what I'd told her about the restaurant) and they reluctantly brought it. I had also told her that the owner was there to welcome people. Victor wasn't there. In fact, he was never there any of the times I've been for breakfast or lunch.

Last time, the service was so bad that I couldn't believe it. They messed up the order and over charged me. Also, no free shot (although I'd ordered a margarita). I talked to the waiter about the order and he brought the tag and showed me what it said. I had not ordered what it said. He over charged me and would not change the bill. I asked to see Victor. Not there. Also, the guys who work there are normally attentive about checking if you need more water and picking up your (teensy) napkins, if you are having what I had --- tostadas and tacos. In this case, they were hanging out at the bar and ignoring the two tables of people there. One of the ignored people was me. Loads of little napkins on my table (with eating with my hands) and nobody ever stopped by to pick them up.

It was so different from what I'd experienced in the past. In general, of the 6 meals at Victor's, one was outstanding, 4 were average to above average and the last one was so bad that I'll never return. Also, it appeared that their menu may have changed (raised prices) after my last trip 4 months before. The food is OK but tends to be expensive, compared to the restaurants downtown and on the southside. For that lunch, I couldn't find a dish for under 100 pesos, so I had my regular --- a tostada and a taco.

I'll give Victor's the benefit of the doubt (though in averaging my 6 experiences, it would only rate a 3) because the restaurant is a legend in the Marina and I think everyone should try it at least once. Just be aware that the service varies and the food is a little expensive for what you get (in comparison). If Victor is there, it is more festive and loud (very loud music at times).

The setting is nice and relaxing, except when the music is so loud, on the Marina and very convenient for people staying at the Westin, Melia, Mayan Palace and various condos nearby.

One of the best things about the restaurant is that it is open from around 8am to around 11pm. The extended hours makes it very unique in the Marina and it's nice to know that you can head there at all hours, if you are hungry.

I personally would not return but do recommend it to others, if it's convenient to their hotel and as long as they know that the loud party atmosphere with Victor sitting down with patrons to share free tequila is not every meal. We found the lunches to be expensive (even the tostadas and tacos which are twice as expensive as at the other end of the Marina) and unmemorable.

4 Thank MarlySF
Overland Park, Kansas
“You can't go wrong at Victor's.”
Reviewed 29 June 2010

From the moment we sat down at our outdoor table overlooking the marina, the service was excellent. Free tequila shots came with our drinks, and Victor came over to say "hi" within minutes. He's delightful, and after chatting for a couple of minutes, said "I will have a shot with you." He returned with 3 more tequilla shots, one for him, one for me and one for my wife. The food was excellent. The musicians were fun. And they brought a huge piece of chocolate cake out for my wife's birthday and sang while they painted whipped cream on her nose and cheeks. We had a great time.

2 Thank Michael M
Moorhead, Minnesota
“Great Food. Great Service.”
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Great food and service. Really made you feel appreciated and they offered a free shot of tequila and a dessert. Be prepared to bring cash as credit cards are not accepted.

2 Thank oscaraas
Fort Worth, Texas
“Loved Victor's!!”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We dined one night at Victor's because of the recommendations on Tripadvisor, as well as it being a quick walk from our hotel. We LOVED it!! Victor was there to greet us and seat us. He was very attentive and wanted to know from us what we thought about food, service, etc. They bring everyone a tequilla shot after you get seated and then serve you an after dinner drink as well. My friend had the quesadillas, I had a fish and shrimp taco. We also started out with guacamole, which was very good! We did order mango margaritas, which I didn't think were very good but that was it.

3 Thank Aggie00