“Great hotel, shame about the beg bugs!”
Review of Hotel Belmar

Hotel Belmar
Ranked #59 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel, shame about the beg bugs!”
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Booked 3 nights in an interior balcony room and were upgraded to larger external balcony room on check-in. Room is great size and very cute design. However there was sand all over the tiled floor and balcony, aswell as in the sheets on the bed. Which may be the reason I got bed bugs all over my legs during our stay. The wifi in the room didnt work so we hadto take the laptop downstairs to get signal, the staff did say they were trying to get this fixed. Also the tv remote they gave us was a different brand to the tv in our room and wouldnt work. Advised reception who were not able to provide a working remote during our 3 days. Location is great though, try the taco stand across the street - YUM!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shannonluke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Our overall experience was a positive one, bt I want to give an honest review so people know exactly what to expect when they stay here. We booked this hotel because it was a great price. When we showed up, the receptionist knew exactly who we were without me showing our reservation, and was very friendly. They do speak some english though it is limited, so it can be helpful to know a little spanish. We booked a standard interior and this is definitely a good choice if you're a light sleeper. It is rather noisy outside right now while they're fixing a water main, and there is a lot of traffic all day long. In fact, in general, regardless of what type of room you have, this is a noisy hotel. Sound carries very well, we had a thunderous snorer 3 floors below that we could hear quite clearly.

In old town, its not far from the beach, and there's some great stores nearby, and its a short walk into downtown. El moreno is probably the safest street taco stand to eat at. The nearby grocery is just as expensive as back home though. Anyway, the room is quite small but functional. Very tidy for the most part, although there seemed to be a number of small ants that kept appearing on the counter. So if you're looking for the comforts just like back home, this probably isn't for you.

Also, there is narrow concrete stairways with no elevator, and we were on the 4th floor, so if you have a lot of luggage, not a good choice. As I mentioned, sound carries, because the interior rooms all open up into the center and look down to the interior courtyard/reception desk below. So people talking in the hallways or even below at reception can be heard from 4 floors up sometimes. Also, if you like to sleep in, they ring a very noisy doorbell to get the attention of the room cleaners, who often clean in the morning. They do clean with bleach, evident due to the smell after cleaning, which is reassuring that cleanliness matters to them. The rooms are generally kept immaculate, I peeked in a few other rooms when passing by.

As for security, the rooms have 2 locks on the doors, but not surprisingly no in-room safe. You are permitted to leave items in the care of the front desk staff, though we chose not to. I don't know if they keep them at the front desk or take them to the staff room. When you leave the hotel, you leave your key with them, which I have no problem with since I'd rather not lose it. But they are kept in a rack behind the front desk, and they don't always man the front desk, though they aren't far away in the staff room and can see it for the most part. There are also security cameras overlooking the reception area. So we never had any issures with security though we chsoe to keep our stuff in our room.

The temperature averaged around 30 degrees in January, we didn't book a room with A/C, and a ceiling fan was more than sufficient, however, if you like your room cold like a refrigerator, you might want to pay extra for A/C. No fridge in the basic room either, we had a few chocolates which didn't totally melt but were rather soft. In general we avoided bringing much food into the room unless we were going to eat it right away.

Even though Puerto Vallarta water exceeds WHO standards, they provide water dispensers on every floor, though only the one at reception is chilled. So to sum it up, you get what you pay for, and what we paid for we were quite satisfied with. It's basic, but it met all our needs. The in room wi-fi was a fantastic bonus. We did see cookies and coffee in the lobby, but it seems that anytime we went down to get any, they were gone. I would reccomend this to budget travellers, and any other low maintenance travellers who want a good deal.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Global-Reporter
niagara-on-the-lake, ontario
Reviewed 14 January 2010

This was my second stay at the Belmar with my nine year old son, and my partner. I was delighted with the service and staff as usual. They were friendly, helpful and reassuringly casual. The Hotel itself has had a makeover since my last visit, and is a gallery of wonderful art on every floor.
The room was as I remembered; clean, bright and basic, with the additional convenience of a refrigerator, and a lovely view from the balcony...
We will always stay at the Belmar when in PV.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank leslie_sarava
San Diego
Reviewed 14 January 2010

The hotel is quiet, but in the center of old town, buzzing with life. I enjoyed the artwork on all the walls and the service was great. They have wifi and a computer in the lobby for use. Coffe and cookies are available all day. I didn't want to leave! The beds....I was forwarned...Mexican beds are what they are...hard. I had two rooms, the second was on the 3rd floor and had microwave, fridge, dishes...I think most rooms have fridge. there is no elevator but it is worth the effort1

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank lolo101
Mexico City
Reviewed 11 November 2009

Greatest price/value hotel I've stayed. For less than 30 USD I got a room with a bathroom. It even included towels. It's a great clean place if you want to stay in PV and walk around. The beach is 15 min walking. Close to everything, including nightlife. The friendly staff can help you with the buses, great places, and to enjoy the town. I've you have some disability, please look somewhere else. Not wheelchair accessible. No elevator. Tip: choose an interior room, as the street in front of this hotel is quiet nosy from early in the morning.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank phil_websurfer
Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We are budget travelors. We don't need much. Good price. Clean. Safe. This met all of our expectations and more. Great location. It was a pleasure staying here.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank AJ999999
Morelia
Reviewed 18 June 2009

I made reservations at the Hotel Belmar because I had stayed there before and it was ok. Many hotels in PV have huge discounted rates since the "Flu scare". I called for the rates and was told that every third night was free (33 1/3 discount for three days) and was quoted a 350 pesos rate w/o AC (that is another 60 pesos). I checked in and paid for 2 nights plus 180 pesos more for AC. OK. The AC went out during the first night. The front desk people were very noisy. - laughing, joking, etc., Repairs going on began at 8 am, hammering etc. and so on. Total disregard for the customers in the hotel. On the third day I went to pay for another 3 day stay. They would not give me the third night free so I told them that was not what I was told when I called for reservations. I said would check out and go to another hotel that offered 50% discounts, that were better and cheaper. They gave me the third night. This used to be a good place to stay.

Do your homework; there are better cheaper places in PV.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo