“Great Value for Money - Good Hotel!”
Review of Hotel Belmar

Hotel Belmar
Ranked #57 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Virginia
“Great Value for Money - Good Hotel!”
Reviewed 18 December 2010

I stayed there for US$25.00 per night through PriceTraveDotCom, 25% lower than their walk-in rate of MX$400.00. What makes this hotel special is first the staff - wonderful, friendly, helpful and kind people, second the really evocative artwork throught the hotel, but especially the pieces opposite the front desk. Room and shower were small but very clean - good firm bed and hot high-pressure shower. Noise is an issue if you stay in one of the front rooms with a balcony with partial sea-view, but can be easily remedied with a good set of earplugs. I will come back here again but pay an extra MX$100.00 pesos for a front double room so as to have more space. I would not recommend room 28, however - shower too small.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank JMFVaUSA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dallas, tx
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I had some trouble finding it especially since I took the bus into town from the airport. Its in the old town part of PVR. No complaints since this is exactly what I was looking for. However, once I did find it, the staff was very helpful. The room itself was small but neat and tidy and bright. I requested a room away from the road and got one since it gets pretty noisy.
The staff was super helpful and gave me some great recommendations for restaurants where the locals go. Just ask away and they are full of info (restaurants, buses etc..). Some of the attendants have rudimentary english skills. Worked great with my rudimentary spanish skills. One computer in the lobby for free with internet access. Very close to the Malecon, shopping areas and all the good restaurants.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank zippercmos
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 30 September 2010

Have stayed here several times in hte past 3 years and the quality of service and rooms is consistently good. Located 3 blocks from the beach. Overnight "guest" allowed for a 100 peso fee. I will choose this hotel over several other budget hotels I have seen in the area.
I found the beds to be comfortable. Back alley and interior balcony rooms a bit quieter if the street traffic noise bothers you. Clean rooms and freindly, helpful staff.

Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank Northernboy62
Denver, CO
Reviewed 27 March 2010

I returned to the Hotel Belmar in January to stay for my 50th birthday celebration in Puerto Vallarta. There were 15 of us altogether and we all stayed at the Belmar. Maria and her entire staff went out of their way to be sure that our stay was perfect. A friend and I had stayed there in December of 2008 and I decided that is where I wanted to stay for my birthday. The hotel is immaculately clean at all times. The staff is friendly and helpful, and the hotel is centrally located to everything I need in Puerto Vallarta. It is my favorite! All of the walls throughout the hotel are adorned with beautiful artwork. It is like walking through an art gallery.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank cdavetype
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Booked 3 nights in an interior balcony room and were upgraded to larger external balcony room on check-in. Room is great size and very cute design. However there was sand all over the tiled floor and balcony, aswell as in the sheets on the bed. Which may be the reason I got bed bugs all over my legs during our stay. The wifi in the room didnt work so we hadto take the laptop downstairs to get signal, the staff did say they were trying to get this fixed. Also the tv remote they gave us was a different brand to the tv in our room and wouldnt work. Advised reception who were not able to provide a working remote during our 3 days. Location is great though, try the taco stand across the street - YUM!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shannonluke
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2010

Our overall experience was a positive one, bt I want to give an honest review so people know exactly what to expect when they stay here. We booked this hotel because it was a great price. When we showed up, the receptionist knew exactly who we were without me showing our reservation, and was very friendly. They do speak some english though it is limited, so it can be helpful to know a little spanish. We booked a standard interior and this is definitely a good choice if you're a light sleeper. It is rather noisy outside right now while they're fixing a water main, and there is a lot of traffic all day long. In fact, in general, regardless of what type of room you have, this is a noisy hotel. Sound carries very well, we had a thunderous snorer 3 floors below that we could hear quite clearly.

In old town, its not far from the beach, and there's some great stores nearby, and its a short walk into downtown. El moreno is probably the safest street taco stand to eat at. The nearby grocery is just as expensive as back home though. Anyway, the room is quite small but functional. Very tidy for the most part, although there seemed to be a number of small ants that kept appearing on the counter. So if you're looking for the comforts just like back home, this probably isn't for you.

Also, there is narrow concrete stairways with no elevator, and we were on the 4th floor, so if you have a lot of luggage, not a good choice. As I mentioned, sound carries, because the interior rooms all open up into the center and look down to the interior courtyard/reception desk below. So people talking in the hallways or even below at reception can be heard from 4 floors up sometimes. Also, if you like to sleep in, they ring a very noisy doorbell to get the attention of the room cleaners, who often clean in the morning. They do clean with bleach, evident due to the smell after cleaning, which is reassuring that cleanliness matters to them. The rooms are generally kept immaculate, I peeked in a few other rooms when passing by.

As for security, the rooms have 2 locks on the doors, but not surprisingly no in-room safe. You are permitted to leave items in the care of the front desk staff, though we chose not to. I don't know if they keep them at the front desk or take them to the staff room. When you leave the hotel, you leave your key with them, which I have no problem with since I'd rather not lose it. But they are kept in a rack behind the front desk, and they don't always man the front desk, though they aren't far away in the staff room and can see it for the most part. There are also security cameras overlooking the reception area. So we never had any issures with security though we chsoe to keep our stuff in our room.

The temperature averaged around 30 degrees in January, we didn't book a room with A/C, and a ceiling fan was more than sufficient, however, if you like your room cold like a refrigerator, you might want to pay extra for A/C. No fridge in the basic room either, we had a few chocolates which didn't totally melt but were rather soft. In general we avoided bringing much food into the room unless we were going to eat it right away.

Even though Puerto Vallarta water exceeds WHO standards, they provide water dispensers on every floor, though only the one at reception is chilled. So to sum it up, you get what you pay for, and what we paid for we were quite satisfied with. It's basic, but it met all our needs. The in room wi-fi was a fantastic bonus. We did see cookies and coffee in the lobby, but it seems that anytime we went down to get any, they were gone. I would reccomend this to budget travellers, and any other low maintenance travellers who want a good deal.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Global-Reporter
niagara-on-the-lake, ontario
Reviewed 14 January 2010

This was my second stay at the Belmar with my nine year old son, and my partner. I was delighted with the service and staff as usual. They were friendly, helpful and reassuringly casual. The Hotel itself has had a makeover since my last visit, and is a gallery of wonderful art on every floor.
The room was as I remembered; clean, bright and basic, with the additional convenience of a refrigerator, and a lovely view from the balcony...
We will always stay at the Belmar when in PV.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family