“Right place- Right price”

Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
memphis, tn
“Right place- Right price”
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed four nights at the Hotel Rio, two when we landed in Mexico before we headed north up the coast and two when we were on our way home. We loved this place! Just walk out the door and you are right on the malecon, and near everything that makes Puerto Vallarta so fun- restaurants, bars, beautiful people and beaches. Also you can walk in any direction and find the basic stuff you'll need like drinks, and snacks etc.. It's not too quiet, but with the windows shut, (and the AC on), you can get a nice night's sleep. We had two different rooms. One was with a queen bed, recently updated with flat screen etc., balcony with excellent people watching, great! The other was a corner unit that was not updated, but it had a kitchen, and a couch, and an awesome view of the entry to the malecon, and beach from the room and balcony. We actually liked that one better, just for the view, and the fridge and kitchen area. The staff really took good care of us while we were there, and answered every random question I threw their way. I probably drove them crazy, but they still smiled and joked with me throughout my stay. Overall I would definitely recommend this well located, friendly and affordable hotel.

Room Tip: It seems like rooms here fill up pretty quickly just from walk-in traffic, so I recommend booking ah...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights in March. Our first night, we had a room with a double and single bed. It was not comfortable, so we went and got upgraded to a room with a king bed for no charge. The staff are great! Rooms are clean, centrally located near the Malecon and affordable. The restaurant on site was not great, but lots of nearby options to choose from. Overall, the hotel is great and a good price.

Some notes on Puerto Vallarta. We travelled with our two sons, 17 and 20. We went out one night and my oldest wanted to hang out longer, so he stayed on the Malecon. He was walking back along the Malecon by himself one night smoking a cigarette. He was stopped by the policia municipal, accusing him of smoking drugs. He stopped and showed them his cigarette. He was told to empty his pockets onto the ground. He had an iPod and about 700 pesos. He did as instructed. The policia scooped up everything, put it in his pocket and drove off. He chalked it up to life lesson, don't walk alone at night. Three days later, he went for breakfast then needed to go to the bank machine. Again, he was alone. He pulled 800 pesos and was heading back to our hotel. Again, he was stopped by the policia municipal for no reason and told to empty his pockets, with the same result as above. He was not happy! I emailed the Canadian consulate, and was told where to go and what to do, with no assurance that anything would indeed be done. In the end, we didn't do anything, as I did not want to spend my last day wasting my time in a bureaucratic nightmare. Just wanted to let you all know. This definitely colored our opinion of Mexico and has made us question whether a return vacation will be in our future.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank lalenawalter
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear lalenawalter,

We're very sorry to hear what happened to your oldest son during your visit to Puerto Vallarta.

We wish we had known about this situation when it happened, so we could have gone over all of the facts, helped you with the process of approaching the consulate, and maybe found the police officer that behaved in such an unpardonable way.

In Puerto Vallarta, all hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, and citizens in general feel very secure with the safety of our community. We therefore consider it our personal responsibility to prevent this type of event and provide support to victims like you and your son.

Again, I am so sorry about your experience and sincerely hope it has not tainted your view of Puerto Vallarta forever.

I would love to host you again in the future!
Quebec City, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Good place to hang out in Vallarta. Just a few meters from the malecon. The hotel has a lovelly courtyard, but the rooms are very basic.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
zvictor, Gerente at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 6 March 2012
Hola HdGowner, Thank you for your review.

The hotel is being constantly updated in order to accomodate the changing needs of our guests.

In 2011 all of the double rooms were renewed and now feature more comfortable beds with new mattresses, new decoration, better lighting, LED flat TVs, more spacious bathrooms, hair dryers, and new china and microwaves in the rooms with kitchenette... You can see pictures in our profile!

Hope to see you again soon!
Vancouver, British Columbia
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This hotel is located right at the Malecon in the centre of town, only a block from the Rio Cuale. The staff was friendly and helpful. The basic room are showing their age, but are kept very clean and tidy. The hotel is located on a very busy street and if you are used to complete silence when you sleep it may be wise to bring along earplugs, or ask for a room away from the main street. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean and conveniently located budget hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ShawnCornell
new west, bc
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed one week there. We had a kitchen to cook. Very clean and linen changed daily.
Altough situated in a noisy area, windows were good enough to shut out all the noises. Kitchenette does not have enough itmes but you can ask for more from the staff. Better to make the reservation directly using the hotel web-site.

Room Tip: We liked the room no:123.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jaywithanage
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Victor and staff did a great job at making me feel welcome during my 16 day stay at the Hotel Rio. The room was very clean, and the fine hotel cleaning staff kept it looking great day after day. Everybody always offered a smile as I was coming and going, and made sure that I always had everything that I needed.

The restaurant menu was available in English, and provided plenty of variety at a reasonable price.

I own an 1800 square foot beach condo in Nuevo Vallarta, but could not stay there as it was leased for five months. So I searched the internet for a place to stay while I was in Vallarta renewing my FM3 status. Taking a chance on Hotel Rio, I prepaid for only one day. It was an easy decision to extend my stay for another two weeks.

Hotel Rio's location is great; you need only to cross the street to be on the Malecon ...the walkway next to the beach. There are plenty of English speakers to give you directions and answer your questions.

Even when I am staying in my own place in Nuevo (www.NittaCondo.com), when my wife and I want to spend a night or two in downtown Puerto Vallarta, I'll stay overnight at the Hotel Rio.

RichBrott.com

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank NittaCondo
zvictor, Propietario at Hotel Rio Malecon Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
Thank you very much for your review NittaCondo, we're happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Rio Malecon and that you're planning to come back in the future. Our goal is to provide our guests with all the necesary tools to spend a perfect vacation and to put a smile upon their faces every single day!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Just returned from a week stay at the Rio. The room was clean and comfortable. The a/c worked great and the bed was fine. The staff was friendly. Great location very close to the Malecon, Central PV and Zona Romantica. Never used the pool because it is in an interior courtyard and gets little sun - It's surrounded by tables from the restaraunt Co-Exist. There is noise from the street, but the balcony door seemed to keep it to a minimum. Overall, very pleased with our stay and would recommend it to others. Good value for the money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple