“Old Town Gem...Vallarta”

Ranked #64 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Juan Cosala, Mexico
“Old Town Gem...Vallarta”
Reviewed 17 December 2012

Stayed at the wonderful Hotel Yazmin, Puerto Vallarta recently in one of the newly renovated upstairs rooms overlooking the street. I was a little hesitant at first, but since I hadn't made a reservation and it was Friday -- I went for it. What a truly terrific little gem.

The rooms are immaculate, darling little bathrooms with a really hot and strong shower (which I love). It wasn't really nosy being right upstairs from a busy street -- I heard some sounds from the Saturday street market, but was ready to go out and partake anyways.

The location is one block from the beach, around the corner from Los Arcos and a few blocks from Andale's (a great spot to meet people, dance and drink the night away until 3 am).

I will return again and again as I live on Lake Chapala, only 5 hours away, and visit Vallarta at least a half dozen times a year.

Coffee in the morning, a little pool, lovely gardens and helpful personnel -- what more could you want -- and, yes, security.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Cruisedirectormex

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Fort McMurray, Canada
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This place was awesome. A friend and i stayed here for a week. The rooms were clean, the linens were clean. It was not noisey at all, and its really close to some of the best food in PV.
It is a block from the beach and the Malacone!

We usually stay here for a night when we stop over on our way north or south. Its a cheap place, and a steal of a deal.

Ive been here twice more with my wife since my original visit, and you always know what to expect.

I would suggest this to any traveller.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Joe N
montreal
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We spend a couple of days each year on our way to our mainstay in Jalisco. It is quaint and simple. Downstairs at the restaurant, the food is great! And the staff is always amicable.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are facing the patio. Try to be up.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fremma
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We loved the location and atmosphere of the Hotel Yazmin. It is decorated in an old Mexican style and the staff dress the part. The rooms were very clean and comfy, the beds and pillows were good, and there was plenty of hot water. Nary a bug in site. This is an old hotel that has been updated, and there is a restaurant next door with excellent food. We would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't bring a car unless you absolutely have to - there is no parking, and the parking on the st...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank linrich51
WA, PV
Reviewed 24 December 2011

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Hotel Yasmin and as of October 2011 they have a small pool AND wi-fi!! Also, as of July 2011, it is very colorfully painted (no longer all white) This family owned hotel is one block from the beach. Very economical, affordable, comfortable, and peaceful. I've been going to PV for over 35+ yrs, and my stays at the Jasmin have always been very pleasant. The staff are very courteous and at least one understands English. Pls remember NO credit cards taken here. The rooms aren't the Ritz, but cute and comfortable. AND never in my 35+ years have I ever seen a bedbug. Cucarachas outside, yes, but they are tropical bugs, not ones from being filthy. Being from Hawai'i, we have the flying ones too! With that being said, I know for a fact that the Yasmin fumigates when necessary. The popular Café de Olla (closed on Tuesdays) is right next door. What we also appreciate is there is security on premises and front gates are locked at 11pm. Excellent for single women! The one thing they do NOT have is telephones, but, hey, you are on vacation. There is a Ladatel/Telmex pay phone across the street on the corner. Overall, you can't go wrong here, especially for the budget conscious. I sincerely hope you enjoy like we have all these years!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank alohaspirit
Guadalajara, Mexico
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Unlike the reviewer below who thinks if you stay here your crazy we rather like the Hotel Yazmin. We have stayed here 5 times now over the last couple of years and have recommended the hotel to personal friends who also liked thier stay. 5 times 5 different rooms and haven't seen a bug like the last reviewer said.
The Yazmin is in the heart of Old Town Puerto Vallarta and is a one block stroll to Puerto Vallarta's famous malecon and one block to the beach.Some of Puerto Vallarta's best restaurants are on the same block as this hotel and there are 100's of eateries and bars within 3 or 4 blocks. The hotel is not new by any means,but it is clean and well kept and the staff are courteous and some speak great English and know the area well.
We will say that if your the type of person you go's to Puerto Vallarta to be tucked into bed at 8pm then ask for a room in the back of the hotel or stay at a $200 a night sterile Americanized resort as Basilio Badillo ave can be quite the happening place at night.If your the type to go to Puerto Vallarta to enjoy yourself and the night life then this is a economical ,close to everything place to stay.
Our only complaint is there is no Internet which we were assured by the staff they are working on getting,however there are plenty of restaurants on the same block that have free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Street Parking only,
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Magnum440
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 16 March 2011

OMG, are you people crazy? Sure this hotel is a block from the beach, but it's also next to an extremely popular restaurant and so, is really loud until about midnight. I had ear plugs and boy was I happy I brought them. But the caper is that I left this hotel itching like crazy, with bites all over my arms and legs.

In addition, you need to pay extra for the AC, which you pretty much will need bc the rooms get stuffy. I would advise people to steer clear of this place, even if it as a "great deal."

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo