Emperador Vallarta Beachfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #58 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We booked in June for a seven night stay over New Years. We paid extra for a junior suite with kitchen and balcony with water views. Wrong- we arrived and were told that for our 7 night stay we would need to go to another hotel for one night, then another for two nights and then we would be back for four nights at the Emperador. It was horrible and Hotel.com was of no help! In fact they have not even responded to our email. Our hotel adventures included a room with no view and three twin beds- but we paid for a suite with balcony and kitchen. I will NEVER stay at the Emperador again and will not use Hotel.com. It was anything but the relaxing trip we had planned.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Flyingredhorse

Reviewed 3 January 2010

I forgot to book is into Casa Cupula until it was too late and so we were goping to be homeless in PV for New Year. I tried ten hotels with no luck (a warning there for holiday times) and the Expedia found a room with a King bed at this well-located hotel. The reviews here are pretty mixed (to be kind) so we arrived with low expectations. These were met, and overall it was a bit better than we expected.

The rooms are tired. The King size bed did not exist. The jacuzzi on the roof is broken, the bathrooms are very tired. There is no gas in the kitched and no plates, cutlery glasses or pans... why have a kitchen? Do people take their own? Although we complained about the bed we heard no more about it, and the refund we aske for never materialised.

On the plus side: It was cheap, the maid service was good, the shower pressure was very goodm you could sleep four people in the room if you wanted to, and the AC machine worked (if a little noisy).

I think it represented reasonable value for money, and the location is excellent. In an emergency I would stay again. But I hope to avoid similar emergencies in the future.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 December 2009

I strongly recommend you stay someplace other than the Hotel Emperador in Puerto Vallarta.

When our flight was cancelled and we were unable to take our vacation, we promptly contacted the hotel's reservations manager, Adrian Flores, who assured us we would get our money back, less a 20% cancellation charge as stipulated in the contract. After being given the run around and told the money would be refunded back to our credit card, Adrian did an about face and said that we could not get our money back unless we provided a checking account number due to "transaction and currency exchange fees." Obviously, we opted not to do this since they've already shown a dishonest track record. We have since disputed the charge with the credit card company as the Hotel Emperador has unlawfully confiscated our money and refuses to provide the refund they promised us--and in accordance with the contract. Do not make the same mistake we did by giving this hotel any business and providing them your credit card number...if your plans are changed due to the mistakes of the airlines or any other reason, it is unlikely you'll ever see your money again.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank handalanda
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I’ve been fortunate to have made such a wide range of friends over the years from all over the world. All with different likes and dislikes (which to me is the whole point in HAVING friends). Those who know me well know that I’ve acquired a rather “champagne” taste when it comes to travel and the accommodations that come with traveling. But those who REALLY know me also know that I came from a family with little to no money who could never afford such luxuries. So, since traveling is my biggest hobby and narrowing down fantastic, interesting and unique accommodations really challenge me, I am always open to new experiences. Now that I can afford upscale travel I definitely want the best I can get without going overboard in a way to drastically change quaintness and comfort for pretension.

Several months ago, some good guy friends asked me and my partner to join them on a trip to Puerto Vallarta over Thanksgiving 2009. My partner was unable to get away during this period so I decided to go ahead and join them. There were 5 guys total in our group…me, another partnered friend, and 3 single friends. A couple of the single guys had stayed at The Emperador on prior visits to Puerto Vallarta. They filled us in on the details which included that the place basic but clean, had minimal services, was a bit old and didn’t really have anything overly glamorous to speak about. Originally I had decided to stay at a beautiful villa on my own since they were determined to save expenses. But then I realized that I was going with friends and it would be rather rude to stay somewhere else. So, I switched to The Emperador to hang with the boys.

Once we arrived at the hotel I immediately realized that it was going to be interesting to say the least. The staff spoke adequate English which was helpful and the doorman was very pleasant and welcoming. I noticed that the lobby was impeccably kept and there was a nice fresh smell, along with a breeze blowing through from the ocean directly behind reception.

Reception basically charges most if not all of the entire stay on your credit card upon arrival (which is not unusual for most Mexican hotels). Once checked in my friends told me I could get a safety deposit box with I decided to utilize. There is no charge but the hotel stamps your credit card in case you don’t return the key. The safety deposit boxes are locked in a well secured room in Building 1 of the hotel.

On a side note, the hotel actually has two buildings (one on each side of the street). Building 1 is across the street from the main reception area, building 2 is where reception is located and on the beach side of the street. Building 2 has been recently “updated” so I was told but in all honesty, I didn’t notice anything that resembled an “update” anywhere in the hotel.

Prior to arrival I had booked a Junior Suite versus a basic room. I HIGHLY recommend the Junior Suite. It offers a much larger room with a balcony and an outdoor kitchen which included a stove, sink and fridge. Additionally there is a nice table and chairs if you choose to dine outside. There is also a living room area and separate bedroom space with a king bed, desk, open closet. The mattress to the bed is basically a mattress sitting on a cement pedestal. Very odd and the bed was very hard and uncomfortable which was a major disappointment. I didn’t sleep well the entire stay. The bathroom was very small with a standup shower and no bathtub (which was fine for me). The junior suite was sparse, a bit run down and certainly NOTHING to write home about. But I will say that housekeeping changed the linens everyday (which I love) and they were always really clean. While the bathrooms are pretty old, they seemed “surface” clean and the housekeepers always washed down the walls, shower, walls, toilet, vanity, etc (just don’t look to hard). They left plenty of towels and bathroom supplies and I never found myself going without. And, they mopped all the floors in the suite every day. Still, I always felt like I couldn’t let my guard down. I was never barefooted on the floors and always put extra towels down in the bathroom. Not to mention, on two separate occasions I saw what I thought was a cockroach in the room but it wasn’t a big deal because we’re in a beach town and it’s just bound to happen in climates such as Puerto Vallarta.

There is a restaurant in the lower part of the hotel but it’s not associated with the hotel itself. However, I did eat there once for lunch and it was quite good and the prices were more than reasonable.

There is no wireless service in any of the suites or rooms. It’s quite unfortunate in this day and age and frankly, a hotel of this size should certainly catch up to the information super highway. In fact, it may sell more rooms but to be honest, I didn’t really mind not being “plugged in” during our stay. The hotel lobby has two desktop computers available free of charge that always seemed to be free when I needed them. I do believe there is Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby but I forgot to check.

The hotel requires you to wear an orange wristband during your stay. We found a get-around by stretching the band in a way to slip it off the arm when going out for dinner or out for the evening. It is mainly used during times outside on the beach so you can use the chairs, umbrellas and part-take in the bar services.

Overall, I would give this hotel a 2.5 out of 5.0. Mostly for the general (and very basic) cleanliness and a place to put your head at night but for no other reason. If you’re looking for just that I would recommend The Emperdador. If you’re looking for anything above that spend a little extra for one of the other many possibilities for upscale service. I have already found some BEAUTIFUL, new, modern places for my next visit that were only $50-$75 more a night! But, I did enjoy my visit to Puerto Vallarta and really enjoyed hanging with my friends so it was worth a little “basic accommodations” for good fun with friends.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank scottyhouston
Reviewed 24 November 2009

returned to the suites emperador because our stay in April was so great....I was not sorry! The staff are always great my special thanks to Jesus....again this is a clean, modest hotel - i will return!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2009

The hotel isn't fancy, it's an average hotel... if you go there, absolutely get the suites with the kitchenette and the balcony with the view to the ocean, there are just beautiful sunsets from there... you can use the sunlounger at the beach from their restaurant, but I recommend to go eating at the restaurant at the right side (when you're standing on the beach), they have awesome breakfasts and service !
The hotel is located within walking distance to "downtown" but it's a stretch to the bars and discos... some 15-20min walk... it's in the Zona Romantica, known for its gay travellers, you see a couple of them on the beach, but it wasn't shocking or anything...
Try to get a deal on vallartaonline.com, we got a better price there for a suite than any other website for the normal rooms...
The pool is not at the hotel itself by the way, there is one you can use nearby but we preferred the beach just in front !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My husband and I stayed for one week at Suites Emperador and were very dissapointed! I have never taken the time to write a review but in this case, I felt compelled to do it because this place is so misleading in the way they represent themselves. The first room we had was directly over a construction site for a new restaurant they were adding and it was VERY loud all day long starting at 8 in the morning until about 6 or later in the evening. We didn't spend a lot of time in the room during the day but when we did it was disturbing to say the least. There was also a lot of street noise at night so we tried to use the air conditioning to mask the sound. The air conditioner rattled so much that it was no help. We asked to be moved and they did move us but the next room was extremely shabby as well as loud. The light fixture hanging from the ceiling looked like it was going to fall down and didn't work anyway. Most days when we returned to the room from the beach housekeeping had been there but left no clean towels so we had to call down to the desk for someone to bring them. The kitchenette that was on the balcony was virtually useless. The stove didn't work, the fridge was rusty on the outside, there was no dishsoap available so we were not able to properly wash the dishes. This makes me wonder about whether they were clean in the first place. The sink faucet dripped. The beds were like sleeping on plywood but I have heard that beds in Mexico tend to be that way. Some of the staff were fine but a couple of the desk people made it clear they couldn't care less if we were satisfied or not. They did have a pool area but it was really junky and the water looked pretty gross. I don't know why they bother having it at all. We didn't use it.

This apparently is a budget-priced hotel but I would have gladly paid more per night for a more enjoyable stay. If only a couple of these conditions were present we would have been more ok with it but when you put it all together it was a bad experience and I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone!!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple