“DO NOT EVER STAY THERE-THE MAIDS STEAL FROM YOUR ROOM!”

Emperador Vallarta Beachfront Hotel & Suites
Ranked #63 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Dallas, Texas
“DO NOT EVER STAY THERE-THE MAIDS STEAL FROM YOUR ROOM!”
Reviewed 5 March 2010

We thought this was a safe hotel because this was our 4th time staying there; however we will NEVER EVER stay there again! The maid went into my luggage and stole a wallet with $100 cash in it. The front desk clerk, although very nice, could not do anything about. A friend also stayed there in November 2009, and had a bag with clothes stolen from his room (same floor we stayed on). This is a shame; the hotel used to be nice and safe, but now it's a place that harbors thieves - the front desk clerk acknowledged that they had problems with this maid and complaints from guests before and didn't do anything about it! DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AngryDallas_Texas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Washington State
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Hotel appears to have seen better days as it needs updating all around for the price. Our room did have AC, a frig, stove & sink yet no dishes or silverware. Internet was only available in the lobby. We vacationed 3 weeks in various cities in Mexico & all other hotels had internet in the rooms. The pool was a block away so we never made it there. It was on the beach which was the only nice amenity. We stayed 3 nights & didn't notice until the last day there were little ants crawling all around the sink/counter/wall area. We did inform the hotel of this. We will never return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Vallarta hotels

Fredericksburg, Texas
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We booked in June for a seven night stay over New Years. We paid extra for a junior suite with kitchen and balcony with water views. Wrong- we arrived and were told that for our 7 night stay we would need to go to another hotel for one night, then another for two nights and then we would be back for four nights at the Emperador. It was horrible and Hotel.com was of no help! In fact they have not even responded to our email. Our hotel adventures included a room with no view and three twin beds- but we paid for a suite with balcony and kitchen. I will NEVER stay at the Emperador again and will not use Hotel.com. It was anything but the relaxing trip we had planned.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Flyingredhorse
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I forgot to book is into Casa Cupula until it was too late and so we were goping to be homeless in PV for New Year. I tried ten hotels with no luck (a warning there for holiday times) and the Expedia found a room with a King bed at this well-located hotel. The reviews here are pretty mixed (to be kind) so we arrived with low expectations. These were met, and overall it was a bit better than we expected.

The rooms are tired. The King size bed did not exist. The jacuzzi on the roof is broken, the bathrooms are very tired. There is no gas in the kitched and no plates, cutlery glasses or pans... why have a kitchen? Do people take their own? Although we complained about the bed we heard no more about it, and the refund we aske for never materialised.

On the plus side: It was cheap, the maid service was good, the shower pressure was very goodm you could sleep four people in the room if you wanted to, and the AC machine worked (if a little noisy).

I think it represented reasonable value for money, and the location is excellent. In an emergency I would stay again. But I hope to avoid similar emergencies in the future.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
eureka, ca
Reviewed 5 December 2009

I strongly recommend you stay someplace other than the Hotel Emperador in Puerto Vallarta.

When our flight was cancelled and we were unable to take our vacation, we promptly contacted the hotel's reservations manager, Adrian Flores, who assured us we would get our money back, less a 20% cancellation charge as stipulated in the contract. After being given the run around and told the money would be refunded back to our credit card, Adrian did an about face and said that we could not get our money back unless we provided a checking account number due to "transaction and currency exchange fees." Obviously, we opted not to do this since they've already shown a dishonest track record. We have since disputed the charge with the credit card company as the Hotel Emperador has unlawfully confiscated our money and refuses to provide the refund they promised us--and in accordance with the contract. Do not make the same mistake we did by giving this hotel any business and providing them your credit card number...if your plans are changed due to the mistakes of the airlines or any other reason, it is unlikely you'll ever see your money again.

Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank handalanda
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2009

I’ve been fortunate to have made such a wide range of friends over the years from all over the world. All with different likes and dislikes (which to me is the whole point in HAVING friends). Those who know me well know that I’ve acquired a rather “champagne” taste when it comes to travel and the accommodations that come with traveling. But those who REALLY know me also know that I came from a family with little to no money who could never afford such luxuries. So, since traveling is my biggest hobby and narrowing down fantastic, interesting and unique accommodations really challenge me, I am always open to new experiences. Now that I can afford upscale travel I definitely want the best I can get without going overboard in a way to drastically change quaintness and comfort for pretension.

Several months ago, some good guy friends asked me and my partner to join them on a trip to Puerto Vallarta over Thanksgiving 2009. My partner was unable to get away during this period so I decided to go ahead and join them. There were 5 guys total in our group…me, another partnered friend, and 3 single friends. A couple of the single guys had stayed at The Emperador on prior visits to Puerto Vallarta. They filled us in on the details which included that the place basic but clean, had minimal services, was a bit old and didn’t really have anything overly glamorous to speak about. Originally I had decided to stay at a beautiful villa on my own since they were determined to save expenses. But then I realized that I was going with friends and it would be rather rude to stay somewhere else. So, I switched to The Emperador to hang with the boys.

Once we arrived at the hotel I immediately realized that it was going to be interesting to say the least. The staff spoke adequate English which was helpful and the doorman was very pleasant and welcoming. I noticed that the lobby was impeccably kept and there was a nice fresh smell, along with a breeze blowing through from the ocean directly behind reception.

Reception basically charges most if not all of the entire stay on your credit card upon arrival (which is not unusual for most Mexican hotels). Once checked in my friends told me I could get a safety deposit box with I decided to utilize. There is no charge but the hotel stamps your credit card in case you don’t return the key. The safety deposit boxes are locked in a well secured room in Building 1 of the hotel.

On a side note, the hotel actually has two buildings (one on each side of the street). Building 1 is across the street from the main reception area, building 2 is where reception is located and on the beach side of the street. Building 2 has been recently “updated” so I was told but in all honesty, I didn’t notice anything that resembled an “update” anywhere in the hotel.

Prior to arrival I had booked a Junior Suite versus a basic room. I HIGHLY recommend the Junior Suite. It offers a much larger room with a balcony and an outdoor kitchen which included a stove, sink and fridge. Additionally there is a nice table and chairs if you choose to dine outside. There is also a living room area and separate bedroom space with a king bed, desk, open closet. The mattress to the bed is basically a mattress sitting on a cement pedestal. Very odd and the bed was very hard and uncomfortable which was a major disappointment. I didn’t sleep well the entire stay. The bathroom was very small with a standup shower and no bathtub (which was fine for me). The junior suite was sparse, a bit run down and certainly NOTHING to write home about. But I will say that housekeeping changed the linens everyday (which I love) and they were always really clean. While the bathrooms are pretty old, they seemed “surface” clean and the housekeepers always washed down the walls, shower, walls, toilet, vanity, etc (just don’t look to hard). They left plenty of towels and bathroom supplies and I never found myself going without. And, they mopped all the floors in the suite every day. Still, I always felt like I couldn’t let my guard down. I was never barefooted on the floors and always put extra towels down in the bathroom. Not to mention, on two separate occasions I saw what I thought was a cockroach in the room but it wasn’t a big deal because we’re in a beach town and it’s just bound to happen in climates such as Puerto Vallarta.

There is a restaurant in the lower part of the hotel but it’s not associated with the hotel itself. However, I did eat there once for lunch and it was quite good and the prices were more than reasonable.

There is no wireless service in any of the suites or rooms. It’s quite unfortunate in this day and age and frankly, a hotel of this size should certainly catch up to the information super highway. In fact, it may sell more rooms but to be honest, I didn’t really mind not being “plugged in” during our stay. The hotel lobby has two desktop computers available free of charge that always seemed to be free when I needed them. I do believe there is Wi-Fi in the hotel lobby but I forgot to check.

The hotel requires you to wear an orange wristband during your stay. We found a get-around by stretching the band in a way to slip it off the arm when going out for dinner or out for the evening. It is mainly used during times outside on the beach so you can use the chairs, umbrellas and part-take in the bar services.

Overall, I would give this hotel a 2.5 out of 5.0. Mostly for the general (and very basic) cleanliness and a place to put your head at night but for no other reason. If you’re looking for just that I would recommend The Emperdador. If you’re looking for anything above that spend a little extra for one of the other many possibilities for upscale service. I have already found some BEAUTIFUL, new, modern places for my next visit that were only $50-$75 more a night! But, I did enjoy my visit to Puerto Vallarta and really enjoyed hanging with my friends so it was worth a little “basic accommodations” for good fun with friends.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank scottyhouston
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 24 November 2009

returned to the suites emperador because our stay in April was so great....I was not sorry! The staff are always great my special thanks to Jesus....again this is a clean, modest hotel - i will return!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends