Hotel Casa Dona Susana
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Los Arcos Suites(Puerto Vallarta)
Hotel Yazmin(Puerto Vallarta)
Andale Hotel(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Restaurant
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa(Puerto Vallarta)
Hotel Mercurio(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Breakfast included
Marsol Hotel(Puerto Vallarta)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Posada de Roger(Puerto Vallarta)
Great 4.5/5
  • Pool
San Marino Hotel(Puerto Vallarta)
Good 3.5/5
  • Beachfront
Eloisa Hotel(Puerto Vallarta)
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop poolsister hotelromantic zonechief butlerbalcony roomrooms are smalldead end streetcentral courtyardmexican charmthe location is perfectrestaurants and shopsbeach accessmexican hotelthird floormini fridgeconstruction noisesized bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 December 2012

This was my second visit to this charming small, hotel since 2010. Hotel Casa Dona Susana sits on a quiet cul-de-sac in the bustling "Zona Romantica" area of PV...one very short block from Playa Los Muertos beach and all the facilities at the Playa Los Arcos Hotel that one has access to as well.

FYI: Los Arcos Suites is situated just across the street from the Dona Susana property; I have stayed there on another occasion.

All three hotels operated by this Mexican hotel group are well-managed and well-maintained as well as, staffed by competent personnel.

What especially appeals to me about the Dona Susana is, that it is the smallest of the properties and therefore my personal favourite! It's "adults only" status also adds to its quiet charm.

The rooms are basic but have all the amenities I look for: comfortable bed, ample closet space, A/C, cable TV with the added bonus of International channels, in-room safe, a good-sized bathroom with shower, and a mini-fridge! Housekeeping standards thoughout the properties are high!

The small L-shaped roof-top pool & sun/lounge area are an absolute oasis of tranquility that provides stunning views of the Bay of Banderas area as well!

I have been coming to the PV area since the early 80's. By choice, I have always stayed in the "Zona Romantica" area, not only because I consider it to still be the best area for eating & shopping, but also because of its proximity to the Centro Historico. One can easily (& safely) walk from this area or access public transportation to reach other areas in and around PV.

The Hotel Casa Dona Susana offers you an opportunity to experience "Pura Vida Mexicana" at its quiet, chaming best! I know I'll keep coming back!

(NB: I have just finished reading some reviews that appear to have been written after my stay in late June, 2012. As several people have mentioned in their reviews, many of us have been to this property before. It is hard to believe that such a drastic change in property maintenance has occurred. If so, I sincerely hope it is soon rectified.)

Room Tip: All rooms can be very different. Ask to see your room to ensure the room & the location appeal to you. I would not recommend rooms on the ground floor unless mobility is an issue. There is a step up leading to all the bathrooms as well (except one suite on the ground floor)...which MAY be a consideration. [FYI: During this low-season period, I was able to request staff to visit the rooms to look for one to recommend to friends with physical lilitations.]
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I have stayed and reviewed the Casa Dona Susana before with mostly positive reviews. I would have to rate this trip as not one of the better ones.

Long story short, a friend and I had booked CDS over Labor Day 2012 only to find the hotel closed. We were accomodated across the street at Los Arcos Suites. We both came back over Thanksgiving and chose CDS again.
We emailed the staff SEVERAL times to make sure that we could request a room with two beds (most rooms are only 1 King). We were assured via many emails that our request was confirmed for our 10 night stay.
We arrived late afternoon on Thanksgiving Day and they had us down as a reservation for 5 nights! After some discussions and a call over to I assume Los Arcos, we were adjusted to 10 nights. The then gave us room keys, towel cards, etc and said we were in room 302. The bell staff was great took us up to the room, and.... 1 bed!!!
We then went back downstairs and was given room 201. This room did have two beds, but NO dresser, no storage... nothing (and the AC barely blew any air at all!) Not big enough for two people for a 1o night stay. So, third time we finally were given a room on first floor that we had actually stayed in before. It worked out fine.

After the 5th night of staying there, we were then asked if we wanted to stay in the same room for the rest of our reservation....??????? Why would we choose to pack up and move again to a different room in the middle fo the vacation? Anyway, I thought that was weird.
We did have a few issues with our room key cards, but finally they figured out that the problem was the battery in the door.. easily fixed and never a problem again.

The last two nights of our trip a large group of young men had checked into the hotel and pretty much took over the hotel pool.. very loud, towels and swimsuits hanging from the railings, rearranging deck chairs to literally block the path to the pool, very frustrating. Then on the final night, a large group of teenage girls checked in. There had to be at least 20 of them. This is supposed to be an "Adults Only" boutique hotel??? The last two nights... definetely not! If I would have been staying longer, I would have been very upset.

It's hard to not love PV. I do love the location of the hotel and in general, the room, pool, etc. are great. Elizabeth was one of the women at the front desk and she was always pleasant and happy and smiling.

I will come back to PV and probably come back to Casa Dona Susana, but I think it is time for them to review their reservation systems, email correspondence, etc. This is now two trips in a row where via email everything was confirmed, but upon arrival, nothing was right.

Room Tip: If you want a King bed, upgrade to a balcony room
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank mndavet
Reviewed 30 November 2012

Horrible experience! From the beginning of not having my room ready at 4:00 as confirmed - through two separate emails, to standing water in my room from the lobby men's room: this place is a complete nightmare! The staff, when you can locate anyone, is completely helpless. No wifi, no safe, no mini fridge. Finally got a safe that sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Staff left door to my room open, not just unlocked, completely open. Finally got a mini fridge that makes a loud popping noise, possibly from a short caused by the mysterious liquid dripping from the ceiling. I love Puerto Vallarta. It is disgusting that this wreckage is blighting the city!

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank dwgrady
Reviewed 27 November 2012

We've enjoyed staying here before, but cut our planned week-long stay short after one too many problems this trip.

On the plus side: great location in the Zona Romantica, firm but not rock-hard beds and high cotton content sheets (both rarities in Mexico), functioning A/C. The pool on the roof is small - think soaking and sunning, not swimming - but you do have access to the good-sized (albeit often crowded) pool at Playa los Arcos as well as their good beach and beach chairs.

On the down side: warm but not hot water (you won't touch the cold tap when showering and shaving isn't pleasant), noise from the pool area if you stay on the upper floors (there are unenforced regulations prohibiting children and loud noise but the partying goes on) and the promised in-room internet service is a disaster, even by Mexico standards (we live down here full-time and for those not in the know Mexico has some of the slowest internet speeds in the world). This may not sound like a big deal, but we (and many, many other guests both in this hotel and its sister property across the street) complained loudly to no avail about not being able to send or receive a simple email, connections constantly being dropped and on the rare occasions when the service was "working" having to wait as long as 3-5 minutes for a web site to load. You can forget about using Skype or getting anything done online if you stay here.

The phone didn't work in our first room and after two days of waiting for the service person we changed rooms. That pretty much typifies the level of service we experienced: problems were acknowledged but never solved.

There was major construction going on in a building a couple of doors up the street during our stay. Obviously this isn't something the hotel's responsible for, but nothing was mentioned when we called to confirm so you might inquire before hand if you do choose to stay here.

We enjoyed earlier stays here but at the asking price there are lots of better choices within a couple of blocks.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back but not on the 3rd (uppermost) floor are likely to be quietest.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ekknox
Reviewed 20 November 2012

A small, simple hotel in the Old Town/Romantic Zone of Puerto Vallarta. An adults only hotel with a true Mexican flair. It is part of a 3 hotel family, each property having it's own personality. I have stayed in a sister hotel, Playa Los Arcos, for several years in a row but this was my first stay at Casa Dona Susana. I was very pleased with the property and the staff. Property is well maintained and very clean. The pool on the roof is a nice touch for taking the afternoon sun. The hotel has a variety of room categories enabling the traveller to chose the accomodations that best suit their needs. The hotel is located about one block from Los Muertos beach. There are several very good restaurants in the local vicinity as well as some lively clubs for nightly entertainment. If you are looking for a five star resort, Casa Dona Susana is not for you but if you want to experience Puerto Vallarta from a slightly different perspective, this hotel is worth looking at. I have travelled to Puerto Vallarta annually for the past 22 years and have stayed at a number of different properties in different areas of PV. The Old Town/Romantic Zone has become my location of choice due to a good variety of activities, restaurants and its proximity (walking distance) to the Malecon.

Room Tip: If your budget allows, book a Jr. Suite
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends