“NOT anti gay”

Ranked #23 of 125 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Idaho
“NOT anti gay”
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I wanted a quiet place to relax and enjoy a real mexican getaway. Wow Casa Dona Susana exceeded all expectations. It is not a 4 star hotel but you are not paying for one either. The staff was of 5 star quality, on arrival the room I requested was not available, the staff offered to move me to the main resort hotel or I could make do one night and get a better room the next day, I waited. great room on 3rd floor, awesome roof top pool and at least 30 % of guests were gay. If you want to share your room with a guest you must pay the double occupancy rate extra "big deal" $12.00 my Mexican guest had a great time as well as myself

• Liked — Natural rustic old mexico feel
  • Disliked — Can be a little noisy in the am, but people there do have work to do to take of guests.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank racerguyIdaho

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Oakland
Reviewed 7 January 2009

I wasn't real pleased with my stay here over the New Years holiday. The location is great, but the hotel itself if extremely loud, among other problems. The windows open into the interior of the hotel, NOT to the outside world, so all the noise generated anywhere in the hotel resonates and shoots right into the room. You have to keep your only windows blinds closed all the time, unless you want everyone in the hotel to be able to see you. The bathroom works, but our shower door leaked water all over the bathroom. The room itself was so small you could barely get around the bed to the other side. No room for luggage or any personal affects. The staff works for tips and despite the fact that I was paying $150/night, they are apparently not paid well. When I forgot to tip, the service that day was terrible.

Pros: Real pretty place. Pool on the roof is beautiful, with nice flowers and trees, nice view and is very quiet, usually we were the only ones up there. Nice location too.

Nevertheless, I would not return. In fact, if I want beach and sun, I'm going to Hawaii. Same price, way better value.

• Stayed January 2009
2 Thank Alibris
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We were looking for a boutique hotel in the older part of town away from throngs of tourists and Casa Dona Susana was perfect! The authenticity of the hotel, locally crafted furniture and textiles added to the charm. The roof-top pool was our favorite part and the location a block from the beach with reciprocal privileges with Los Arcos was fabulous. I would stay here again and recommend it to my friends!

• Liked — it's location & the roof pool
  • Disliked — noises echoed
  • Stayed April 2007
1 Thank InternationalGal
Bay Area
Reviewed 5 January 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed there for about a week, and the only good thing I have to say about this hotel is the pool, and that the hotel does look as it is pictured. However, 1) you can hear doors slamming most of the day, 2) you can hear other people's conversations, 3) if you want to get a good sleep-you need to use earplugs, 4) you better make sure you leave a nice tip everyday, or you will not get soap or a decent/clean looking towel. 5) the bathroom floor floods every single time you take a shower.
There were a few, and I mean a few staff that cared about you. On the day we needed to check-out, my boyfriend and I were ignored by the person at the front desk, she was too busy talking about her private life with ther co-worker.

• Liked — The pool
  • Disliked — If you don't tip everyday, you don't get a bar of soap
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A_nice_vacation
Los Angeles
Reviewed 5 December 2008

I was looking for a nice and inexpensive vacation to Puerto Vallarta for Thanksgiving. After doing some research on Tripadvisor and finding a great travel package thru Orbitz I decided to book the Casa Dona Susana from Nov 25 to Dec 2. Overall, I was very satisfied with my stay. It's a 2 stars hotel at most for it's a very basic room amenity; however, I'll give it 3 stars given its excellent location, cleanliness and 4 stars for value and overall satisfaction. It's within a block of nice restaurants and bars and its sister hotel of Playa Los Arcos and Los Arcos Suites which ones has privileges at all three.

Room:
Good: The bed was not too hard and very comfortable. Air conditioning was excellent and quiet. Shower pressure was great. Room was cleaned to my satisfaction. It had a room safe and TV. I was a little worried as some had reported a strong odor in the rooms. The doors, headboard and shutters are hand carved wood and its gives off an "old wood" rustic cabin smell. It’s not bad and I hardly noticed it. Once you run the AC it’s gone. I noticed the maid used an air fresher after the room was cleaned.

Not so great--but tolerable:
My room had a window overlooking the atrium and an outside facing window. Unfortunately the outside view overlooked someone’s apartment patio which was trashy and ugly, but you could look up and view the glorious PV sky. The window did bring in light and you could close the shutters. Not a really big issue for me as I really don't spend a whole lot of time in the room. The rooms are facing an interior atrium and unfortunately if you like to sleep in the noise from the cleaning staff and other guess was sometimes annoying later in the morning. The room had a closet to hang clothes with a bench. There was a desk and three very small drawers. The room has very limited storage space. It would be very tight for 2 people, but doable. Bathroom is also very small. My room had only two hanging light fixtures over the bed and that’s it. Again, you really have to weigh these minor issues against the location and value and the time you plan to use the room. Room location and floor is important at this hotel so if you’re not happy ask for a room change.

Excellent:
The hotel has a wonderful roof top pool and views plus a nice lounge and sitting area. The staff was very friendly and the beautiful atrium with a live tree growing all the way up to the roof was impressive. The beach is only 1 block with many cafes and stores in the same block or next block over. There is a 24 hour convenience store right across the street for drinks and snacks. You are truly right in the middle of everything in the heart of Olas Altas Avenue.

Bad--Nothing!!

All in all -- if you are looking for a very reasonably priced holiday and don't plan to spend too much time in your room this is a great deal. I would stay there again and would definitely recommend it. They do have larger room suites with kitchenette and balcony if you want more space.

Stayed November 2008
Denver
Reviewed 3 December 2008

Great adult-only hotel... as long as you are particular about the room you get. Very quiet, only one block from the beach, but you can use the amenities (and beach chairs) of its sister hotel which IS right on the beach. The only recommendation I provide is to MAKE SURE that you get a room with WINDOWS (unless you don't mind staying in a dungeon). The first room that they offered me was in the back of the hotel with ZERO windows!!! I couldn't even imagine staying in such a room. So, I refused and said I would cancel my reservation and stay somewhere else. They then gave me a pretty wonderful room with 2 windows, one of which had a view. They explained that many of their rooms have either no windows or only one window which overlooks the interior walkway (which means you'd have to keep the curtains closed anyway. I lucked out with my "re-booked" room, but just be careful and ask before you book. The people however are very nice and I loved the quiet rooftop pool (devoid of screaming and laughing children!).

• Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank LLALWLYB
oakland, ca
Reviewed 28 November 2008

My boyfriend and I started a week long trip to PV at Hotel Casa Dona Susana. We stayed there for two nights in April 2008. The staff there were amazingly friendly and helpful. The location was great...it is at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac so the road traffic was barely noticeable. It was also in walking distance to almost everywhere. Tons of great restaurants nearby and the beach is right across the street. We used the beach facilities of the sister hotel, Los Arcos, only one day. It just wasn't relaxing enough for me when someone is trying to sell you something (silver, hair braids, tours, etc) every two minutes.

The room was very clean and decorated just fine. I'm not going to agree with the "boutique" title, because when I hear that word, I associate it with things a bit more on the high end. The bathroom was teeny and the towels were so old that they were fraying and scratchy. However...as I mentioned...everything was very clean, which made up for the fact that not all the amenities weren't top notch.

What we really loved was the great air conditioner in the room we had, which was on the second level. We only had a small window facing the inner atrium, which I could imagine could get fairly noisy during the busy season. The other window was facing the street and it was a huge patio door. The A/C was quiet and adjustable with a remote that they gave us when we checked in. Without the A/C, it would have been more difficult to sleep at night because we'd have to have the patio doors open, thus letting in some of the outside street noises/smells.

Speaking of outside, the rooftop pool was simply amazing. It is beautiful and the water was a good temperature (we were there in October--I think it was heated). The one thing that the rooftop could really benefit from is some sun umbrellas or more shaded spots to lay down and relax under. The sun is so strong that you just get too hot up there without at least a bit of shade after too long.

I was a little disappointed in the "kitchenette." It consisted of one heating element, a toaster, a coffee maker, small bar-sized sink and a mini-fridge. We only used the mini fridge. So if you're thinking that you'd prepare/re-heat meals in this area, you might want to reconsider. It will be different than home, that's for sure.

All in all, we enjoyed our time staying at Casa Dona Susana and would probably return.

• Liked — The location and cost...and rooftop pool.
  • Disliked — Not the most comfortable bed.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple