“The Last of an Era”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Vallarta
Los Cuatro Vientos Hotel
Ranked #100 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Lewiston, California
“The Last of an Era”
Reviewed 12 December 2007

My Wife & I returned to 3-A the lovely Front room on Los Cuartro's third floor where I proposed to her almost exactly 10 years ago This is not the Hilton & not for those that need to be entertained but a true Mexican Inn. While I have been staying at this bit of history since 1986 this was our first visit in almost 4 years. I am pleased to report that while the INN has retained all of it's simple charm thee are a number of improvements including a new plumbing system that assures lots of quick hot water, excellent shower pressure & efficiently working toilets.
Also The included breakfast has improved with a at least one hot dish each along with fruit, juice, coffee. toast, cereal & pastries. The Community table where guest gather each morning trading histories & travel adventures makes for a great way to start one's day.
The resturant Chez Elena has also regained it's glory days of the 1980's when the Rich & Famous dined there along with us more regular folks. The New Chef has introduced a number of new delights & the Presentation is as good as I have ever seen!
The El Nido Roof top bar is still the best spot to observe the PV sunset.
A real plus for Owner Gloria Whiting is her Grandson Chad, a recent Grad of University of Kansas, to her staff. Chad is a bright enthusiastic young man & a welcome addition.
We will return again & again.

• Liked — The staff, cleanest, history & charm
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank peddler665

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Imperial Beach, California
Reviewed 30 October 2007

If you want to experience real Mexico, real Vallarta, be close to downtown, and are in physical shape, this rustic hotel is ideal. The hotel has probably not changed much over the last 30 years or so, which means simplicity at it's best.
With such simplicity comes a feeling of being left alone by the staff, which I personally like. If you're looking for cold towelettes upon arrival and attentive staff with overbearing fake smiles, this is not for you.
There is no TV, no phone, no AC, old 2-plug wiring (bring a 3-prong adaptor), and a floor fan. I was pleasantly suprised that there was wi-fi, though I sometimes had to go onto the common balcony to get reception.
The staff will attend to your needs, but you must ask. I dislike the "hustle" of some hotels that insist on carrying even a small bag so as to wrangle a tip, so having to ask for help with luggage is not a problem with me (I tipped, of course).
The included breakfast is not much to rave about, but the coffee and OJ is good. The key is to ask. I wrangled an egg with my pancake one morning, and got a banana from the back on another, neither of which is offered. Drinking water is provided free with all units. Just schlep down the hall and fill your room pitcher at the 5-gallon dispenser.
I am very security conscious; they chain lock the front gate at about 10PM (again, old-style Mexico), and I felt secure in spite of the louvered windows on my unit, which are notorious for being simple to break into.
My fellow guests seemed to be budget-minded folk, and not looking for frills, and appeared quite content...as was I...with the location. The proximity to central Vallarta is ideal. Walking everywhere is possible, as long as you remember to stay in the shade and have no problems with the stairs. A taxi will deliver you to the front door for 30 pesos from just about most places downtown.

Stayed October 2007
4 Thank IBLocalib
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 15 February 2007

Based on the reviews there seem to be widely varying opinions about Cuatro Vientos, and after spending a week there we can understand some of it.
The hotel is up the hill, with about 150 vertical steps from the Malecon (boardwalk) to our third floor room. Don't go there if steps are a problem for you! But the height gives you the cool breezes and great view from the rooftop bar. And you're only 5 blocks from the heart of the city. Dozens of restaurants, stores, and the main bus routes within a 10 minute walk. We made the climb 2-3 times a day without finding it objectionable.
Our room (3C) was comfortable. No AC, TV or phone, adequate privacy, clean bathroom. It's in the middle of the city, so there was some noise from the cathedral bells and the street. It quieted down after 10PM and never bothered us.
We had a great vacation and loved the hotel. The dinners were excellent, the staff and guests were friendly, and we sipped our drinks and watched the sun set 7 days in a row. Puerto Vallarta is a great place for exploring for dining, shopping, and beaches, and Cuatro Vientos put us in the middle of it.

5 Thank RBruce
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 May 2006

Our trip was in 2000, and we stayed in Puerto Vallarta for 2 weeks. We chose to book a hotel in downtown Puerto Vallarta for a couple a days at the end of our trip. So, I searched on the internet and came across this hotel's website. The website showed an adorble room with brightly colored decor and what appeared to be a clean room. So I called and booked a room for 2 nights. I was told no regular rooms were available but there was a "suite" available, and that's what was reserved for us.

Upon arrival, we checked in and we were given a key to our room. Our room was on the top floor, the last room on the right as you go up the stairs to the rooftop bar. To say the least, we were very disappointed. The room was dark and dirty, there was no brighly colored walls with pretty borders, no nothing. In fact, the people walking up the stairs to the rooftop bar could see right in our room, so we hung a bedspread up to block their view. We didn't bother complaining, because we figured it wouldn't do us any good. So, we just made the best of it. Luckily we were only there for 2 nights, otherwise it would have been horrible. TRAVELERS BEWARE!

• Stayed February 2002
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 November 2005

Los Quatro Vientos is one of the best finds in Puerto Vallarta. The hotel is located high in the hills above the city and you can truly get a feel for neighborhood living in Puerto Vallarta. The sounds of the city waking up each morning are things I recall frequently. I love this hotel because it is quaint, boutique, colonial type hotel with a bohemian feel to it. I enjoy taking different routes up to the hotel, hiking the long stairways and roaming the neighborhood streets, always discovering new things. This hotel is a perfect romantic get away. There are no televisions or phones just beautiful views and interesting people. It is also a great place location for friends or family to travel to from different places for a reunion. The restaurant, Chez Elena, is fantastic. The view of Banderas Bay and the cathedral from the bar terrace is one of the best in the city. The rooms are clean and comfortable and attended to by staff daily. I’ve stayed there at all times of the year and have always had a great stay. Gloria Whiting and her staff are the perfect hosts. It always feels like “coming home” when I return for a visit. I can’t wait to return.

• Stayed October 2003
9 Thank swoiii
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Reviewed 30 April 2005

We've been to this place many times over the past 20 years, mainly for drinks at the fantastic rooftop bar and for dinner at what may be one of the last remaining truly colonial restaurants in town. In 2003 we spent 4 nights here before the condo we rented became available. The rooms are very traditional Mexican decor with minimal amentities but that is part of the charm. If you want to experience the real flavor of Mexico, this is a good place to stay. We probably wouldn't recommend it for long stays, unless you enjoy being out and about most of the day. The owner is charming and will gladly address any concerns you may have.

• Stayed November 2003
1 Thank mexfandos
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 17 April 2005

if you like quiet, this is not the place for you. The rooms are arranged in an L shape with the dining room below and the bar above. The noise from those areas plus the street noise and the bonging of the cathedral clock will drive you crazy as you can't close your windows because there is no air conditioning. The staff is mostly indifferent; management is non-existent. The breakfast is insulting given the fact that food is so inexpensive in Mexico - no fruit, no fruit juice, no good Mexican pastries. If you like Bimbo bread this is the place for you. The hotel is located high in the hills and it is a long climb up the hill and up the stairs carrying your own luggage. If you are disabled, go somewhere else. It seems as though the present owner is just bleeding the place for every last peso. It could be charming, but at present, it isn't.

• Stayed April 2005