“Unless you like bedbugs, beware!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Marsol Hotel

Marsol Hotel
Ranked #122 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
vancouver
“Unless you like bedbugs, beware!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2009

I have traveled extensively around the world- this is my fourth trip to Mexico. We stayed one night in Puerto Vallarta for a conference, and made the mistake of staying at the Marsol. Both my mother and I were bitten by BEDBUGS- the beds are VERY hard, and so are the pillows. The rooms aren't dirty, but they certainly aren't clean. The towels look like they are 20+ years old- with the room numbers written on them. VERY rustic hotel, beautiful view and location, but not worth the bedbug bites!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends
6 Thank annilee12345

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Hamburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2008

I found the hotel on the Internet and suggested that it follows some international standards. The location is great (ocean view), but the apartment is of low quality, as others described it here (elevator does not work etc). My problem: Three days before depature the hotel owner told me that I cannot pay with credt card. So I had additional expenditures because I had to go to the money machine. I paid the whole sum, understanding that I get a special bonus because of cash payment. The recept said, I had paid for the whole time. Then the owner claimed he had miscalculated and demanded more money, shortly before I was about to leave. Again in cash. I was put under heavy pressure. When I complained he told me: If you do not like the way we conduct business in Mexico, then don´t come. I like to come, but not to this Mexican hotel. One does not get clear receipts and the owner is unreliable.

Stayed September 2008
6 Thank hanna97
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2006

My sister and I stayed at the Marsol in January -- our first time there. I was apprehensive because I knew it was not "fancy." That turned out to be ok. The room was very clean and spacious (with kitchenette), and the ocean view was spectacular! I highly recommend a room on the 3rd or 4th floor (the view is better and it's less noisey). The beds were a little hard, but that didn't stop us from getting a good night's sleep. The pool is huge and beautiful! The staff were very nice and accommodating. The restaurant downstairs was a real treat! Great food, great prices, and great service! We ate breakfast there every morning - on the beach. Wonderful! The Marsol is within walking distance of the marketplace, downtown, discos, etc. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Everett Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2006

We had pre-booked online with another beach front hotel a few blocks south of the Marsol. We had confirmed and paid reservations for waterfront view. Upon arrival we were put across the street away from the water. The hotel refused to refund or move us. We moved to the Marsol after the second noisy, dark, depressing night of no sleep.
Jorge at the Marsol showed us the corner room on the second floor with the spectacular view. We took it right away. $70 a night with third night free. Half the price as the previous hotel.
We loved the staff, the room with two beds and kitchenette (where we cooked our fresh caught fish), the location - close to everywhere, the ambiance, the lobby, the .80 beer, the beach and everything about the place. Never ran out of fresh water or hot water. Jorge brought us a bigger coffee pot and extra silverware for our large group. Our friends from the more expensive and 'nicer' hotel south of us were coming to our hotel room for the ambiance!
We've already booked our next trip and won't stay anywhere else.

Paula & Kevin

• Stayed November 2005
7 Thank KevinAndPaula
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2005

I've stayed at Marsol for a number of years and I keep going back. I don't understand the comments about hostile staff - Jorge and his staff have been accomodating and gracious to me. As far as claims of overinflated price ?? Nonsense - I paid 700 pesos a night - and they offered me a special - every third night free- that averages out to be under 50 bucks a night for a huge corner room with airconditioning, a kitchenette, and a big veranda with a 180 degree view of the sunset. Between my friends and I we occupied 8 rooms - not a complaint from any of us. The hotel is safe - they will keep your valuables at the front desk - no problems. It's clean - maid service every day. Friends stayed at another beach front hotel on the same strip - three times the price, tiny room, tiny deck, - and guess what..there was a cockroach in their room too. What some folks might consider to be lacking at the Marsol other experienced travelers are going to find to be it's charms. The towels go away and come back because they launder the same set of towels each day. If you want a Sheraton mattress go someplace else. Marsol is no frills, it's a bit threadbare, but it's a delight. I don't go to Mexico to experience fluffy towels. The trick to navigating the Marsol is to know your maid - most of them have worked there over 20 years. A friendly smile and a "Buenos Dias" and 10 or 20 peso tip each day goes a long way. Your maid will get you your water, an extra towel, another pan for your kitchenette. Marsol is truly a Mexican Hotel - in the same family for nearly 50 years. It's filled with Mexican families on vacation. So try it out - lighten up, relax, be open to adventure, and appreciate it for what it is.

• Stayed December 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2005

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past fifteen years, usually because other places were fully booked. It's noisy, dirty, old, and unfriendly. The elevator is constanly breaking down, the hot water is often off for days at a time. The staff can be very surly. They remove all the towels from the rooms every morning and only return them late in the afternoon. The pillows are filled with corn husks or some kind of dried beans. The lamp shades are tattered and torn. And the prices have risen dramatically in the past couple of years.

Not for people who are used to clean living.

Stayed March 2001
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2005

I stayed at the Marsol based on the wonderful reviews and was horribly disappointed.

I've lived and traveled extensively around Latin America and have yet to encounter a budget hotel that was this awful. It fulfilled every bad Mexican stereotype--cockroaches in the shower, no water, and a staff that only wanted to take advantage of you.

They lied about the prices over the phone--doubling them upon arrival. AT that point we were stuck as it was semana santa and most places in town were already booked. We not only lacked hot water, but had NO water at all for an entire day. Their "solution" was to give us a bucket of water and to allow a 50 peso discount on the already inflated price. When I protested the price and water situation, the manager verbally insulted me and even physically grabbed my arm.

There are much better budget hotels in the surrounding neighborhood that are more hospitable--hotel tropicana, Los arcos (a bit more pricey), Lily, etc.. Perhaps the Marsol is under new management or something, but it was a traveler's nightmare. Steer clear!

• Stayed March 2005