“A nice little find in Zona Romantica”

Hotel Posada de Roger
Ranked #18 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
tucson, az
“A nice little find in Zona Romantica”
Reviewed 11 February 2011

After a 6 year void of not visiting Puerto Vallarta, I decided to try and take a lower budget trip. I used an online travel service and decided to take a package deal with Hotel Posada de Roger. All I typically need in PV is a bed to sleep on at night, and not all the bells and whistles that fancier hotels or resorts tend to offer.

To sum it up, I was pleasantly surprised with Posada de Roger. The 3 story, open courtyard layout is quite nice. Several tables and a fountain line the bottom of the courtyard, and the pool and deck area are tucked up on the 3rd floor level. There's plenty of plants and trees around to help make the scene feel a bit tropical. The staff even spends time every morning sweeping and mopping all the tile walkways and courtyard!

My room was typical of the places I've stayed in the past, and for which I've paid 50% or more additionally. A bed, a sofa, a wall mounted tv, nightstand, desk, and chair. Sure the floor was tiled, but carpeting wouldn't work easily from a cleanliness standpoint. And I will agree with other reviewers, in that any added storage in the (small) bathroom would be an added plus. And unfortunately most Mexican bathrooms don't have ventilation fans. The bed was normal (meaning = hard) as I've come to expect for this class of accommodation in PV.

I was even able to use the free wireless in my room, whereas others had to sit in the courtyard for signal strength.

An added plus is having Freddy's Tucan restaurant right downstairs, off the hotel lobby. And there's even a nice pastry shop directly across the street, not to mention all the "Restaurant Row" and nearby Olas Altos restaurants within a 5 minute walk!

I definitely look forward to staying at Posada de Roger in the future!!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank jbintucaz
posadaroger, General Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, 22 February 2011
It´s nice to read all the comments of our guests.
Thanks for choosing Posada Roger after 6 years not visiting PV.
To all of you readers, we want you to know that we are working right now with the internet signal, we bought new equipment to amplify the signal, so every room in the hotel will have access to wireless internet.
Thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
bridgman
Reviewed 4 February 2011

For the last several years I have spent a month to 6 weeks in Puerto Vallarta, In the perfect location, with the people that I've almost come to regard as family and the accommodations that are my home in the sun. Neat, quaint rooms in the Mexican style, a beautiful courtyard for gathering, reading a book, spend time on the internet, or to just sit and "be". I find it the ideal location to enjoy the best of Puerto Vallarta , not isolated in a protective, plastic bubble away from what I've so come to look forward to in Mexico. New friends, great conversations with new and old, walk out the Hotel entry --- There's Puerto Vallarta, -- There's Mexico.... and I love it!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank davidzilke
Hola

Thanks for considering us a family. We try to keep everything clean and yes Posada Roger is a typic mexican style hotel, we have a very cozy courtyard, is a relaxing place, the Hotel´s location allows guests to know downtown Vallarta and its real appeal (attraction).

Thanks for your comment and look forward to your next visit!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2011

The Roger is a great place to stay for those looking for an inexpensive week or two in puerto vallarta. Less than your average plane ticket price you can stay for the whole week.
I'm from the country in Ontario Canada and did not find my room noisy at all.
I've stayed at the Roger more than once and would highly recommend it.
P.S If your looking for 500 thread count, room service, turn down service, stay away.
The Roger is a very modest hotel. But a wonderful modest hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank penroy1965
posadaroger, General Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, 3 February 2011
Hola
Again we are so glad so many people writing about us, thanks for all your reviews
Low prices, Posada Roger is known as a budget hotel in downtown Vallarta.

All people welcome.
Phippsburg, Maine
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Its location is perfect in the old town (this, despite road/sidewalk construction during our stay). The stay was friendly and helpful (one of our party left a purse there, which the staff kept in the safe until our return a week later----everything was there). The breakfast place there was delicious, as was the bakery across the street. As someone else said, if you want the Holiday Inn, go there. This posada is charming.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Sally40818
Hello from Puerto Vallarta

It´s great you considered Posada Roger as a perfect place, the hotel has a great location!!!
Services: conditioning air, tv cable, phone, ceiling fan, includes safety deposit box.
Swimming pool, wireless internet, roof terrace, restaurant and community kitchen
Thanks for your review.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2011

Very good stay in that hotel, rooms very clean, frontdesk agents always ready to help you. Very good price for the location and nice backyard. A little bit noisy because of renovations in the street but I guess it will end very soon.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Clarita13
Hola

Thanks for your review, we thank to all the people who supported the hotel through tripadvisor
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We had a decent stay here. The rooms were pretty clean and bathrooms OK. I am a light sleeper and had a problem with the noise in the courtyard as our room (possibly all the rooms) are situated around the courtyard.
Location is good, with one of our favourite restaurants across the road (Joe Jack's).
I guess for the price it's not that bad

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Graheemi
posadaroger, General Manager at Hotel Posada de Roger, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Hola

Thanks for your great review on tripadvisor

Look forward to your visit..

HOTEL POSADA DE ROGER PUERTO VALLARTA
Providence, RI
Reviewed 6 January 2011

Been going to Vallarta for many years (15) and usually stay in various rented condos or Hotels on the beach or hill with those famous breathtaking views of the ocean. This December, I needed to unwind and booked a random solo trip to Vallarta for 10 days. Since trip was unplanned and last minute I wanted to make it totally budget friendly. I was not sure what to expect when I got there.

Was great find..

Very open layout in hotel. Not boxed in at all and great views of the mountain side, sky, etc even if not of the beach. Its also a rambling hotel that is more spread out than street view would ever suggest with various places to hang-out... two terraces, a courtyard, and a pool. Very clean, staff always around and friendly, and excellent breakfast at Freddies. Staff and food there could not be any better. I am not a brekfast eater but I wandered into Freddies by day 3 or 4 of my trip. Was then there every morning following..

Yes, the beds are very hard and thin in the rooms, and I am an easy sleeper and still noticed this slight issue. Also, bathrooms have no shelving or storage area for anything and you get one water temperature in the shower. I rented here knowing this and thought I was compromising for value. Once I got there, NOT THE CASE. The place is so charming and relaxed that I dont think my going back to the more upscale places will happen again. And its now not even about saving some money. I booked originally thinking 'cant be too bad and i wont be at hotel much anyway'. To my surprise I spent tons of time hanging out at the hotel by the pool or on the roof. Its quiet and wonderful foliage all around the grounds.

Location is perfect. Everything is easily accessable, including the beach. When staying in other places over the years, I never really noticed how inconvenient it is to actually get to street level and then wander into town. This trip I did so much more than I usually do. Random jaunts out of town on buses, tried many new local palces, more yummy street view, etc. Staying here really opens up the options of where you can be in 5 minutes or so.

I am wary of my glowing review since I would like to keep this gem as my private little secret. However, reading other reviews here, this hotel is not a secret at all. There are just too many of us discovering it after years of not knowing any better.

Footnote: yes folks will still prefer those large new luxury accommodations around town, and those are great. Trust me, I know and i ahve been there. But if you truely love Vallarta and go back year after year to embrace the city and totally immerse yourself in it and do little else than just enjoy each peaceful day there, this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank jimmeyri
HOLA

Thanks for your review, and it´s good to know that you like Posada Roger and for consider it as your new spot in PV
LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR VISIT