“16th time”

Ranked #60 of 126 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
california
“16th time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We will be staying at the Tropicana for the 16th time next March. Yes the mattresses are firm - get a pad from the front desk, yes the wifi is available only in the lobby - do you really need to be hooked up in your room? This hotel is our favorite stay in all of PV. Its location on the beach and right on the edge of old town make it the perfect location. It is clean, well run, safe, and very reasonable. Much of the staff has been there for years so one knows exactly what to expect. I would recommend getting a superior room. They are a few dollars more a night but worth it. If you enjoy sitting on the beach under a palapa, kindle in hand with a cold beer sitting on the small table right next to you this is the place to go. If you want loud obnoxious music with a screaming MC and high prices this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer tower overlooking the pool are the best.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank princepaddy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Astoria oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

First memory of this beautiful hacienda style resort begin at the pool side bar where those delicious margaritas and other happy hour drinks are very the bomb! They are two for one so better order something from the delicious food that is offered. I have eaten here several times over the years and have never left disappointed. And always look forward to the next visit. One can stay elsewhere and purchase day passes which is well worth the experience the amenities of this property.
This is a beautiful well located property with a great situation. I believe it to be the first of great beach properties built here. One can sit and enjoy the ocean sitting
on the beach with palapa s and thirst quenching drinks served to you right on the chaise. . Easy to spend the day and meet great folks. Food (which is delicious and alcohol laden drinks-they are not watered down here) are delivered right to you either on the beach, tables on the patio chaise lounges or the out door seating cafe and or bar area. This all in a very inviting part of the old town romance part of Puerto Vallarta. Some areas of the beach are quite rocky and some even unpleasant. Not here! This area is very inviting.! Best of the beach.
There is a newer (within the last couple of years) pool that over looks the ocean and beach. The best I have seen down here!
The hotel is white stucco and lots of brick which is so clean, and stark against all the azure blue. The very helpful, with a great big ready to serve you smile, Señorita
Marcella at the pool is absolutely wonderful fantastic at what she does, as are all the very helpful and hardworking staff making ones stay as absolutely comfortable as they can.
One visit and it is impossible to stay away.

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank Journeyman644
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

After I got moved to an AC room, I felt like I was in a 6-star hotel! Clean, spacious, beautiful balcony with a fantastic ocean view. All the staff that I encountered, from front desk to security, were always pleasant and helpful. Location is nice for the ocean view and yet it's only a few blocks to the heart of the Old Town where I like to eat and stroll. Only complaint, really, would be the wifi....which you can only get in a very particular spot in the lobby.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank CanuckTravelGuyAB
akron
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed at Tropicana again in Oct. the new pool was open, which we watched them build at Christmas. This time we stayed in tower and had beautiful view with nice little patio. Last time we had oceanfront view, the patio was small with cement wall, you had to be standing for view. Once again our stay was great, and we took first time visitors to Mexico. They were delighted. Our beach waiters were great and we had a wonderful time. Going back in Jan. for 3 wks! The rooms are clean and with a mattress topper we slept great. If you spend a lot of time in room, might not be for you, we only sleep in room. You can go out front door and turn right to ocean front restaurants that are delicious, don't be afraid of the shrimp on a stick, just get it directly from the stand, rather than from the guys walking around with it. You are only minutes away from old PVR with restaurants and shops, this place could not be more perfectly located. We love PVR and Tropicana!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank lucyAkron
Cornwall, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Second time at Tropicana hotel and always had excellent service with the most friendly staff. We were their for two week at the end of February and last august and got the junior suit. Large clean room with a kitchen and large patio with ocean front. Can't ask for better. We were at other hotels in the area and this is the one that we like the most. Can't forget, the bed are very comfortable and lots of water pressure in the shower.

Room Tip: High floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Bluemarcus
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I've stayed here now 3 times in 5 years. We get a Jr Suite each time. About $110/night when converted. 2 double beds. Very firm as noted. I think I'm getting used to them. The room is sort of like a double hotel room with a narrow balcony running the length. There is no one between our view and the ocean. There are 2 plastic chairs and a plastic side table outside.

This is a simple place. Please keep your expectations in line. This is not a new fancy hotel. It is not a 4 Points Sheraton. It is not Nuevo Vallarta. But the rooms and grounds are kept clean, the views are great, and I have found the staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient. I have seen the same staff over all the years.

They have added a 2nd pool since the last time we stayed. It's right by the first one and has a nice shallow sunning area. The pools aren't heated, so they can be cool in early March.

Wifi as noted is only in the lobby area. I didn't have problems with it, but I wasn't on it much. Most restaurants also have free wifi, so I would log on at Dee's coffee or wherever.

The TV channels are mostly in Spanish, even the US-based (CNN, ESPN). So we didn't hear much news from TV. Oh well, there's an ocean to keep us occupied. :o)

I also feel the drinks are light-- and somewhat pricey. So I usually would get beer. The waiters learn who you are and generally take quite good care of you. Same with the people selling fish or pastries on the beach.

This is generally not a party hotel and the beach is generally quiet at night. However, I learned that the two weeks around Easter are the time of Mexican holidays and many Mexicans come on vacation. The staff alerted me that this time is busier and noisier. So you may want to consider other times. You can hear music from the Blue Chairs, but I never heard this after about 8pm. We had our windows open every night.

The location is great -- right in the old town, with restaurants within walking distance. In 10 days, we never took a cab. So much to see walking along the Malecon.

If you are looking for a sanitized, upscale resort experience, this place will disappoint. However, if you understand what this place offers, I think you may enjoy it as much as we do.

Room Tip: Go higher if possible, and make sure you get ocean front. Some rooms are an inside courtroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank smcg720
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

I selected this hotel, despite some not-terribly-serious complaints by reviewers, due to location, location, location, to which I say avoid, avoid, avoid.

I have stayed at dozens of hotels in Mexico...this was perhaps the worst.

1) beds with cushions like wood and pillows like cinder blocks
2) no Wifi, and the supposed WiFi in the lobby seldom works
3) breakfasts inedible (dry eggs, beans like paste, soggy cold toast, coffee like nescafe
4) surly, humorless reception staff
5) NOISY as I have never experienced--blasting music from the beach and pool area from 9 a.m to midnight
6) broken t.v. which took me 3 days to get replaced
7) beach chairs were "reserved" by guests by 8 a.m., and then often never used by anyone

Yes, the location was convenient but the rest was pure excrement.

(P.S. Restaurant and housekeeping staff generally were nice and helpful)

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good rooms here--I asked others.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo