“Nice hotel in a good location”

Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #26 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 1 September 2011

This hotel is in a good location for walking around town.

I didn't want to stay in an American hotel that didn't give us a taste of Mexico and this hotel delivered. You are about a quarter mile from the center of downtown with lots of places to eat (we didn't go for the all inclusive). About three blocks away is a grocery store as well.

The hotel is clean but a little dated. It looks like the management is doing a good job of trying to improve the conditions but they have a way to go. Our first room smelled like mold so we asked to move and were given a new room.

The staff was super nice and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank SeattleMikefamily
Buenaventura G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2016

Estimado cliente, agradecemos sus comentarios, son fundamentales para poder mejorar.

Reviewed 29 August 2011

My friend and I wanted to just be pampered and we were.
Loved everything about the hotel staff. Carolina was so helpful as conceriege and Faustos smile will always be remebered .The food was always great.The bartenders awesome! Hope to come back again and again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank crolleen

Reviewed 21 August 2011

We just came back from a trip to Mexico and puerto Vallarta and we stayed a few days at the Buenaventura hotel. We chose this hotel as we wanted to avoid to be far away from the historic center and out of the big hotel complexes that are north of the town. The hotel is ideally loacated if you want to walk to the old hitstoric part of the city near the Guadalupe church and the romantica part of the city. In August this was typically a place were Mexicans come with their families so the hotel was pretty full even if this is the rainy season. Despite the people, we found that the hotel staff was charming and we had an overall good service. The hotel offers a "all inclusive" package or the usual room only. There are very nice buffets for breakfast, lunch and dinner with good quality food so it might be worth taking the all inclusive package which also includes all free drinks (very nice bars at the swimming pool :)

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TeddySC

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Buenaventura in July. We arrived at the hotel by taxi to be greeted by Omar, the bell boy, who ensured we were checked in as quickly as possible, before taking us to our room and making sure we were comfortable.

Our first impressions of the room were good. The rooms were smaller than other rooms I've stayed in at hotels in the past, but they were not too small by any means. Besides, who goes on holiday to stay in their room all the time? They were comfortable, clean and modern, and had everything we needed to ensure that our stay was enjoyable. We didn't have a room with a balcony, but this was fine. We still had a view of the Pacific Ocean. If we really wanted a room with a balcony, we could've asked and I'm very sure the staff would have accommodated us, but we were only staying for 5 nights so we didn't think it was necessary.

We stayed on an all-inclusive basis which meant our drinks, snacks and food were included. The main food in the restaurant was nice - there was a good choice of food, at least for us. My boyfriend is Mexican so he always found something he wanted, but even for me it was nice to try something different. We ate in the Brazilian restaurant one night and whoa, there was so much food. I couldn't eat it all xD But it was tasty, and to just enjoy the view of the sun setting over the horizon was very much welcomed.

We didn't stay up late enough to make the most of the entertainment, but from what we saw, there were a few movies shown on some nights, as well as karaoke. However, we took a few tours instead. We booked in advance with Vallarta Adventures as at the time, they were offering 3 tours for the price of 2. We chose the Yelapa, Rhythms of the Night show, and the Dolphin Encounter. All of which we would very much recommend! The Rhythms of the Night show is a must. It caters more for couples, but families are welcome too. A great night out for everyone.

The hotel offers water sports from the beach, including Parasailing and the Banana Boat. We took both of these (well, my boyfriend just did the Banana Boat, as the Parasailing was quite expensive). It costs 350-400 pesos for the Parasailing, and about 100 pesos for the Banana Boat. Both of these were so much fun, and is great for the more adventurous.

The internet in the hotel is free, although we found it was a little slow at times, but I guess that's what you get for it being free =P There is also a bus stop on the next block which takes you down the main road to the Maritime Terminal and from there to Nuevo Vallarta. We found the buses to be very cheap. The location is very good, right in the centre of Puerto V, but unfortunately the Malecon was closed, and apparently will be until September, so keep this in mind.

Overall, we had a fantastic time at the Buenaventura and if we were in Puerto V again (we'd definitely go back some time) and were given the option, we would not hesitate to stay in this hotel. If you want a comfortable and friendly Mexican hotel with staff who always have a smile on their face and are always willing to help you, this is the hotel for you.

Have a great time! =)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kat1990

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We arrived to the Buenaventura hotel for a short stay. We were greeted by the bell boys who were friendly and helpful. Omar, our bell boy was fantastic. He offered us a welcome drink that was so refreshing. I knew we were only here for the two nights but I asked the front desk clerk Belen, if we could have a room with a view. She accomodated us with room 1220. The view from the balcony was amazing. The room was small and the beds comfortable. I was surprised to see no fan in the bathroom. There was a little mold on the door frame which could be eliminated by adding a fan.
The entertainment was excellent. There were Mexican dancers in the evening. And fun activities by the pool. Everytime we needed something, Omar was right there to help us. I would definately return to Buenaventura and stay. I will recommend this hotel to my friends.

Room Tip: Staff and View is #1
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank momluvsjava

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I am a travel agent in Canada with 20 years under my belt. This was my first visit to Puerto Vallarta and for a few reasons had to travel in the heat/troplical rain season of July and ultimately chose the Buenaventura Grand for our resort.
At first glance the resort itself is really just a 3 star. The building is old and in some cosmetic ways, run-down. Given it's location, which is a short 5 minute walk to the start of the popular Malecon area, the resort's show of age is expected, so I didn't really mind. I has character within also. Like the aged wooden steps and beams which accentuate the lobby area. The rooms are just okay. You can tell they have put effort into making a clean, updated feel. Be sure to request a room with a balcony. The bathrooms were in need of cosmetic upgrades but, again, our wonderful maid did her best to keep it spotless for us. Don't book this property thinking it's 5 star - it's not...a good 3.5-4 star, definitely.
This is how I'd sum up the staff here: Everyone really tries to make you feel welcome. Belen and the front desk is wonderful - that gal has a smile for everything! Liticia is a special lady and an amazing waitress...always taking care to joke with us and remember what we liked at any meal time. Daniel was an amazing beach/pool waiter and, man did he work hard. Fast, friendly and always had a moment to teach us more Spanish! There are many other wonderful staff members I would like to honor but just know the staff is overall excellent and they alone make this a good 4 to 4.5 star experience in regards to service. Actually the service here was far more personal and genuine compared to the RIU Palace Pacifico which I also visited.
The beach is okay for swimming but the undertow is too strong for little ones. About 10 feet in you'll find a band of small rocks. Like everywhere in Mexico there are lots of beach vendors and there is no need to be rude...just tell them a firm "No, gracias" and they are on there way.
The food at the buffets is really just okay, in my opinion. In no way did we go hungry and there are lots of choices to suit anyone. Again, I think everyone makes a big effort to provide a great product, but I felt it was a lot of the same every day. That's just me. Puerto Vallarta is a wonderful city to walk about and enjoy some of the local restaurants, so don't be afraid to do that even if you did buy the all-inclusive. If you stay to just your resort, you'll miss out. We really like Mexican Fiesta which was one block away. It's a very inexpensive, chill place to enjoy a great authentic Mexican meal.
Tipping...what can I say? If I get good service, I tip. Regardless of what it says is included. Let's face it, the service industry in Mexico works hard (in most cases) and they deserve a little gratitude. Really, what is a few dollars here and there? I recommend $2-5 ($20-50Pesos) depending on the situation. They are always appreciative!
I would recommend this to anyone wanting a smaller resort with great location and personal service. I wouldn't hesitate to bring my kids back next time. Thank you to the incredible staff for a wonderful experience in Puerto Vallarta!

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony and pool/ocean views.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CDNTravelAgent26

Reviewed 19 July 2011

Two of my girlfriends and I (in our 40's and 50's) did an all inclusive vacation here the first week of May. Having never been to Mexico before we didn't know what to expect and chose here due to it's close proximity to the Malecon and shopping. It is definitely not what we in the US would consider a 5-star resort however it was well worth what it cost. The staff went out of the way to be friendly and see that we had everything we wanted or needed. The food was good and they had a good variety. We ate the buffet for every meal or had room service and never had a complaint. They keep the drinks coming as fast as you want to drink them and they aren't watered down. Our room was cleaned daily and we were even given clean sheets. It is in walking distance of all the downtown shopping and they keep the beach vendors at a minimum. The grounds were clean and well groomed. The only complaint I would have is the beach in this section is rocky and not good for swimming or laying out however that is not the hotels fault and you do have the pools overlooking the beach and ocean. For anyone on a moderate budget that wants an enjoyable vacation this is a great place to stay.

Room Tip: We had a room on the fourth floor at the south end of the building and still could see and here the...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends