Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Ranked #26 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We've stayed all around Europe, the Caribbean, and a number of places in Mexico. Although the hotel is older, non-pretentious, and somewhat spartan, it is clean, and the staff, especially waiters, could not be more friendly, helpful, and can't do enough for you, be it in the restaurant, pool, or beach. The drinks are not made with the highest quality of liquor and those served around the pools and beach not the strongest (likely to keep the people less drunk as there is no limit to them when on the all-inclusive plan). The hotel is located four short city blocks from the Mallecon (sp) along which to the east, is the downtown shopping, clubbing, and artsy district and the bay to the west. Although a plush hotel is great, I don't travel to places such as PV to stay in a luxurious setting such as a J.W. Marriott. I only make use of the room to sleep and prepare for another day of the beach, pool, or touring. I enjoy the breakfasts out under the palms but do admit that after the third evening the dinner buffet gets a bit old. I have a sibling who resides in PV 8 months a year in a very exclusive (gated) condo next to the Marriott by the marina. But, in such a setting you do not get a feel or flavor of Mexico, because the only locals you'll encounter are the staff. I personally travel to other parts of the world to experience the culture, sites, and food. If you plan to stay within the bounds of your hotel grounds and beach, this is not the place for you. Go to the higher priced, newer resorts further north in PV from which you need take a taxi to travel to the center of the town.

1  Thank Dan0014
Buenaventura G, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2016

Estimado cliente, agradecemos sus comentarios, son fundamentales para poder mejorar.

Reviewed 23 November 2011

When I arrived at the hotel, the first impression was good. But everything after was just disappointment.
The first problem is that there is no wireless internet in the rooms. Expedia hotel information says there is high speed wireless available, the truth is that wireless only works in the lobby area, and it's definitely not high speed. I needed internet to finish some work, so I complained to the concierge. She explained me that the signal is weak in some rooms and offered me to change to another room. I went in a "tour" with her to see different rooms that supposedly had better signal, but wireless didn't work in any of them. I ended up using the internet from the lobby.
Second disappointment was with the safe. The safe in my room was forced open, apparently using a power drill (it was full of holes and with signs of being forced open). I complained and they changed the safe box, but how can I trust the new safe?
Third disappointment was the first morning, when we woke up with a very bad smell in the room. The smell was coming from the central air conditioning and it was like a kitchen smell (like someone was making french fries inside our room). I complained to the concierge and we changed to another room, that didn't have this problem. But looks like this is a known issue because when I explained the situation to the bell boy, he nodded "yeah, the food smell".
Fourth disappointment is the towel service at the pool is a complete mess and the peddlers are very annoying.

Room Tip: looks like south tower doesn't have the "smell problem".
3  Thank charlestonpanda

Reviewed 13 November 2011

To start, the staff, without exception, was excellent. Arrival and check-in worked well. The facility is definitely old, but the room was clean, but could have used either a chesterfield or a table with more seating. The brochure stated that there were three a la carte restaurants - but it was the same facility just having a different menu on different days. The claim of an adult only pool was very misleading - the only adult pool area was a sitting pool for about 6 or 8 people. The food in the buffet was medium - some days really quite good and other days so so. The hotel has an obvious following of clientelle which makes it pleasant to talk to people that have been coming for years, which we enjoyed, and that helped in the overall friendliness of the facility. Our overall comment would be , that for the price we paid for one week, we got value for our money, and our only major complaint, which might seem minor for some people, is that they only have chaise lounges around the pool and bars area, and we prefer a table with an umbrella and chairs.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a balcony, and on the courtyard side . Tip everyday, especially maid...
6  Thank Tom M

Reviewed 30 September 2011

I stayed here on my own for 9 days Sept 2011. I chose it on the basis of reviews here plus it's location on the beach and that it's Mexican owned and operated.

It was a great choice!

I stay in a lot of hotels for business (150+ nights a year) so the last thing that i wanted was yet another generic global brand for my first trip to Puerto Vallarta.

The taxi ride cost $10 and took around 15 mins which was great.

As soon as the taxi pulled up a bell hop was at the door to greet me and escort me to check in whe I was also handed a nice frozen cocktail which was a nice touch.

There was no line so I was checked in immediately by a really friendly lady who was also very efficient. I was also offered a room upgrade for $20 a night with a sea view and balcony which I took. My bags where then taken to the room while I complete the check in process for the all inclusive package.

The reception was nicely decorated and very spacious with lots of sofas and chairs plus a lounge bar at the far end.

I was taken up to my room on the third floor (4th if your from the US). It's typicaly Mexican with marble floors, White Walls some nice pictures and a king-size bed.

The room comes with a shower roomrather than a bathroom but I personally prefer this plus the shower area was huge.

The balcony was a decent size with 2 chairs but no table which was a bit annoying. The view however made up for that as I had a full view over the pool area straight out to the bay with the rain Forrest at the left side in view also. One of the prettiest views I've had from any hotel room.

There are two pools plus an area for adults only with sun loungers fitted into a shallow pool looking out into the bay. The pools and the sea are very warm but still gave some respite from the hot and humid sunny weather. Perfect for sun bathing :)

There is a pool bar by the main pool which is open from around 11am until 1am. At the weekends, the hotel gets very busy so they open the pool bar next the the adult only area which was great.

The alcohol is all local but Sol is on draft which suited me just fine.a full range of cocktails are also available.

The meals were actually pretty decent. Breakfast is served buffet style in the main restaurant. There was a huge selection of fresh fruit, cereal, an egg station which makes anything to order and does it really well. Pancakes, french toast, toast, ham, sausage, mexican beans plus a wide selection of Mexican fare to cate for the Mexican families. Bst meal of the day.

Lunch was either pool side buffet style with burgers, hot dogs, salad etc or al a carte in the poolside restaurant. These were also great quality, freshly made meals, the fajita's were my firm favourite. There was also a soup and salad bar with a nice selection.

Dinner was either buffet style in the main restaurant or al a carte in the poolside one although on quiet days the buffet was served in the poolside one which was nice as the views are lovely.

There's a good selection in the buffet, most of it is Mexican which I loved plus it want too spicey. There was also a pasta bar where the sauce with stir fried fresh for you which was fantastic, just choose the pasta you want, choose the ingredients for the sauce and either take it creamy or tomato. This was a really nice touch. Again there was a great salad and soup bar plus lost of cakes, fruit salad etc for dessert. This place also has the best coffee by the way.

The location is right on the beach about a 5-10 min walk from the Malecon which is getting a major overhaul at the moment but should look cool once completed. There are loads of decent restaurants nearby so the next time I go i'll go European plan and eat out as they are great value. The bars are also very cheap too with some fantastic clubs along the Malecon area that wouldn't look out of place in Ibiza.

I'm saving the best until last..... The staff at the Buenaventura. They are quite simply outstanding. All are very friendly, seem to genuinely love working at the hotel and take pride in making your stay memorable and enjoyable. Seriously, ICH, Sheraton, Hilton etc can all learn some lessons from this place.

The bar and restauant waiting staff are some of the best of any hotel I've stayed in. Carlos from the poolside bar deserves a special mention. He just never stops working, replaces your drink before you need to ask and is happy chatting and getting to know you.

All in all this place seriously exceeded my expectations by a long stretch. Be warned though that it's very popular with Mexican families at the weekends with the hotel full every Fri & Sat so these days are very busy and poolside can be very noisy. The good this is though that you can walk along the beach to a quieter spot or take a cab the the romantica end of the beach which is actually even nicer with plenty of bars with deck chairs on the beach. I spent a full day there with some friendly Canadians I met at the hotel and a full day with beers and food only cost me around $15

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

John

• Stayed: September 2011
17  Thank Johnlogie

Reviewed 19 September 2011

First of all the WI-FI is slow and non functioning at times. Prepare to disable any security measures from your home provider to access e-mail, or much else other than read your homepage. Second, if you plan on having a non registered guest visit and go up to your room prepare to pay at least $50.00 US, this charge according to Felix, hotel manager, is because this "is a family oriented hotel". (?) Can anyone help me with this one? And I hope you like children because they are everywhere!!! The toilet's old plumbing caused a small flood only one of my 5 nights which I suppose is good. The safe is old and key operated, what a nuisance to worry about a key. If you like a firm mattress you'll LOVE this place because you won't find a firmer one ANYWHERE! The pillows are awful by the way.
I must pont out that the food is excellent and recommend you make a reservation in the morning at the non-buffet option for dinner. I found the entire staff superior with the exception of Felix, the hotel manager and Arturo (I believe that's his name), the night front desk manager. Customer service is key in thes times and they both need a long training program.

Room Tip: I have no idea, mine was on third floor, south side of hotel, ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank SteveW2

Reviewed 14 September 2011

This review is a while coming (We stayed at this hotel for the last week of January 2011), but reading over some of the reviews posted afterwards, not much has changed and that is a good thing.

This was our first time in Puerto Vallarta and there were 3 of us travelling together.
The hotel’s location is excellent! It is a short, fun walk to the Malecon and the entire area felt really safe. The hotel lobby is open-air and incredibly welcoming. The resort itself is probably the smallest resort we’ve ever been to, but it has a very personal feel to it. The property is well laid out with just the right amount of vegetation and a relatively big, heated pool in the centre of it all. There is a smaller pool off to the “adult side” of the resort.
Grounds are very well taken care of and you always see someone working to keep it that way.

Our room was clean, in good order and had a small baclony facing the resort grounds, pool and the beach. The sunsets from there, or anywhere else in Vallarta for that matter, were a stunning, nightly show that we enjoyed immensely. Unforgettable!

Staff at this resort is amazing. Actually, this has been our experience with Mexico in general. The people working at hotels are incredibly friendly and will bend over backwards to ensure you have a great stay. We had an issue with the bathroom sink flooding one day. We reported it to one of the helpful concierges on duty who assured us that we should go ahead and enjoy our day and when we come back it will be fixed or they will move us to another room. We came back from another fun day in the sun to find the sink fixed and working like new again.
We chose the all-inclusive option for our first time in PV and have no regrets about this at all. The food at this resort was great! There is one main buffet where you will always find something to eat even if you are picky and then there is one smaller restaurant towards the front of the main dining area. This becomes a Brazilian restaurant on some evenings. We tried this on our first night and it was delicious! Highly recommended if you like meat. There is a third restaurant located off the beach where you can have lunch overlooking the Pacific. The food quality in every aspect was a bit of a pleasant surprise. Room service is available, prompt and ever courteous. We ordered nachos and it came with an avalanche of cheese bits and curds. It was incredible! The mini bar had water, a can of Diet Coke, a Coke and two cans of different types of beer (usually Pacifico and Tecate).

We used their spa for deep-tissue massages and they did a great job for very reasonable prices when compared to other massage parlors in the area. The spa is located above the lunch restaurant off the beach and getting a massage while listening to the ocean was heavenly. Very much recommended.

The beach front at this hotel is just ok. There are vendors perpetually patrolling the area but aren’t pushy when it comes to selling. They may come over to where you are, offer you something and back down when you say no thanks. Also, the beach and water here don’t even come close to the beauty of the beaches and water on the Yucatan side of Mexico, so really if that’s what you’re used to, adjust your expectations and you’ll be good.

In closing, I would say that this resort is definitely not the type of place where you just don’t want to leave the grounds. It’s a bit too small for that. It is definitely recommended for the first-time traveller to Puerto Vallarta as its location and amenities are perfect for exploring the city without having to worry too much about food, drinks, safety, etc. If we go back to PV, we would have no hesitation staying at this place again with the European Plan as PV does have a vast amount of eateries and restaurants.

Room Tip: Oceanview Rooms give you an amazing view of the Sunset
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
8  Thank nabestag

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We had 7 family members stay at the Buenaventura for a week in Febuary. This hotel is in an excellent location in the Hotel Zone. Right on the beach and near the Malecon. Everything was within walking distance and we were picked up at the front door for any tours we booked. We did not do the all inclusive as there are so many excellent restaurants in PV. There is also a huge grocery store within a few blocks where we would pick up our snacks and drinks. The rooms are very clean and well maintained. Only problem we had was that our patio door would not lock and we called to get that fixed but no one ever showed up! No big deal as we were on the fourth floor but was surprised about that. Been to PV many times and this is one of my favourite hotels.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family