“Worst than Afghanistan”

Ranked #21 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Victoria, Canada
“Worst than Afghanistan”
Reviewed 4 April 2012

I have been on numerous AI vacations and have been in ARMY for 18 years so my tolerance level to difficult living conditions is high but for a vacation you would expect better.

I had booked a vacation with WESTJET through another agent from 17-24 MARCH 2011. The package included flight from COMOX to PUERTO VALLARTA, shuttle service, room and all inclusive for each person 1500$. We were two, my son and I. The flight was ok but ensure you bring your own food because WESTJET does not provide meals on board. All they provide are 2 servings of snacks and beverages. SUNWING and CANJET offer better flights.

FOOD:
The hotel only has one restaurant open at a time and we had arrived in time for dinner. It was Mexican night, which I was looking forward to. There were line ups at each dish. The food was cold and very little options. The salad, fruits and dessert we out in the open with no light nor description to actually see what was in the dish. So you were guessing on what was in your plate. The service at the table was terrible. Dishes stayed on the table for several minutes. When our order was taken for drinks, the waiter came back 30 minutes with them. I myself had time to get them and drink it before he arrived. Going to get those drinks, I realized there was only one bar in the whole place with a line up. I guess I was lucky to have found a hole to order.

DRINKS:
All inclusive watered down local alcohol. Quality was terrible.

ROOM: 2nd floor athe the end of a hallway
As I walked into the room, I could smell the mildew. So I turned on the AC to get the air to circulate. Yeah, not too efficient. The temperature never decreased. So I guess it was just a fan. After time the smell disappeared until you turn off the AC, which the maid did the next day when making the room. As I turned down the sheets, I noticed little bugs. Yep, bed bugs. The next morning I was covered with bites. The mattress sits on a cement base. Regardless, the mattresses are old and feel the springs. A camp cot feels better. The sheets and blanket are old and not fancy. The bathroom only had a shower with no ventilation. So guess what. The room gets warmer.

NIGHTLIFE:
A show is presented during the dinner. But afterwards nothing goes on, EXCEPT for drunken Mexicans who are staying at the hotel and go to the bars next door. So the nightlife starts at 3:00 am when they return. Screaming and playing Marco Polo in the pool. So much for security.

MORNINGLIFE:
Well those drunk people are still at the pool but lying around sleeping on the beach chairs half dressed.

BEACH:
There is no beach. You can walk to one which is not far.

Not impressed of this hotel, I decided to go elsewhere. After talking to the manager who did not care I decided to contact WESTJET Vacation for a reimbursement of the hotel stay. They supposingly contacted the hotel but they did not want to reimburse. But WJ Vacation offered me and my son a 250$ credit each for a future flight with them within a year.

So if you want to go here, hope you don't have high expectations because regardless how much you pay.

Finally my vacation dramatically improved when I moved to GARZA BLANCA. That made my vacation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Patrick L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
dugald
Reviewed 28 March 2012

After missing last year, we were very happy to be back for our 6th visit to Hacienda. Laura at the desk heped our vacation to get off to a great start. Every year the food gets tastier. The specialty restaurant had excellent preperation and presentation of its food; and the service by Alphonse was excellent! All the bar and restaurant service was helpful and very accomidating. Thank-you to Ivan, Antonio,Roberto, Ciat, and everyone else who made our experience special by always finding us the right table and serving us with a smile! Also a big thank-you and hello to our favorite Capitan Jose!! A big bouquet to the Gardener and his staff who worked continually to keep it lovely. Rooms were clean and again staff very helpful. If you are looking for a more Mexican feel to your vacation, along with the shopping,sightseeing etc. of Puerto Vallarta, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: If you experience problems or need a different room the front desk can usually accomidate you in a d...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 950crm
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Well, this was the second time staying at Hacienda Hotel and Spa, we stayed for a week last year around the same time. Since we liked it the first time we thought we would try it again. Last year we stayed one week and this year we decided to try it for two weeks. We were not disappointed. The service was great, the room was clean and the food was better than last year. At 3.5 star rating we were pleasantly surprised last year and this year wasn't any different. Walking in the foyer for the second time was like coming home because we were so familiar with the place.

Room Tip: It was not all about the room for us. you don't spend much time there anyway, as long as it is c...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pauny
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We stayed there for a long weekend in May. The people that work there Are very nice and helpful. You have to take a cab to main street but it's very close. We never got to see the bech club because we were busy with activities. They have a minivan every night to take you to clubs. the food is really good and they have a theme every day.I really liked it and I would go back.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank xticax
Ocean Park, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Our stay was from Feb 2- Feb 7, 2012. The staff from the front desk & the concierge, to the wait staff, maids, gardeners, kitchen staff, the spa staff & anyone else I forgot to mention was "Great", They really take good care of you. Victor & Pedro make great drinks. If you get a chance to visit, & you get to meet Victor, ask him for one of his special drinks, they are wonderful. We enjoyed everything about The Hacienda Hotel & spa & hopefully will get to visit again soon. Don't forget there is alot to see & do in Puerto Vallarta!

Room Tip: Pool view is best!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lea B
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Thought well the pics look nice and it would be nice to save a $$. Spend the extra money and go somewhere nice. The resort was 95% mexicians so all of the activities were in Spanish. Towels were not changed in the bathroom, even though we were leaving tips on the pillow. The food was left out all day and what was left over from dinner was served in the morning.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
9 Thank TamraN
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed at the Hacienda Hotel & Spa in what we thought was a superior room. After seeing other rooms, we quickly found the only difference was that our "superior" room had a safe with two twin beds instead of 1 King. We booked what we were told was an 8 night vacation. Noticing we had a late flight, we asked if we could check out any later than noon, but we were told the hotel was full. We checked with the concierge that our baggage would be put in a secure area after we checked out of the hotel. She assured us it would be, and that we would have a room to quickly shower and change before going to the airport. On March 3rd, we checked out and asked what time the room would be available to shower before leaving and were told there would be no such room, as the hotel was completely sold out. There was a couple from Calgary who overheard and told us they were able to pay an additional 140$ to keep their room for one more night. We asked if we could do the same, and were directed to the manager, Oscar. He was extremely condescending and rude throughout the conversation, and looked very smug when he said "You get what you pay for. There are no rooms. That's all." There were two other couples at our resort from Winnipeg; one of which ended up paying for another hotel for that day. The others were forced to sleep on beach chairs. We were without accommadations for over 12 hours, completely unacceptable for booking an 8 night vacation.

We have travelled to the Mayan Riveria and Dominican Republic to all-inclusive resorts and have had no issues with them accommadating my vegetarian lifestyle. After two days of eating rice and steamed vegetables, we talked to the "Captain of the Menu" about more food options, and were told it would be resolved. The following days were worse: Hot dogs and shrimp in the salads, Bacon in the potatoes, More hot dogs in white rice, Potato and leek soup made with beef broth, Seafood in the pasta, Even the beans had hot dogs! For an all inclusive vacation, I should be able to eat more than steamed vegetables and a veggie burrito (which was the only thing they EVER offered to make me when we brought this to their attention). Our A La Carte restaurant was no different. I ordered a caesar salad, Meat Free, and was served a chicken caesar salad. We were so fed up with the lack of food for myself, and their unwillingness to resolve this issue, that we had to eat out three times. I shouldn't have to be out of pocket when I paid for meals that weren't being provided for us. One lunch time, the only options for me was steamed peas and a mustard potato salad. I put both in my plate and we showed Oscar, the manager, how sparse of a meal that was. He laughed it off, and didn't seem concerned at all. The waiter, once again, offered the same tired veggie burrito. I am not a big drinker either, but I do like a glass of wine with my dinner. The resort ran out of white wine on three separate occasions before 9 o'clock at night. We were paying for food I couldn't eat, and drinks they did not have. Not my idea of all inclusive.

Room Tip: Don't waste ur money booking a superior, because superior it is not!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends