“Hacienda, a place I could call home”

Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Ranked #19 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This hotel was just downright awesome. Being that this was my first time in Mexico, I felt kind of out of place as I did not know the language there. But the people there were awesome, with great hospitality, especially one of the entertainers, Diego. He made my trip with some friends there a million times more fun by teaching us Spanish and just full out giving his time and heart to make us feel at home and like family. The food was pretty good with a variety of different dishes to choose from everyday so you don't feel like you're ever bored with their food. They also had a bus that took us to a beautiful beach behind the hotel that was both lively and relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Markle T
Write a ReviewReviews (2,028)

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Prior to booking I read many reviews and after our week at Hacienda, I have to say we got what we were expecting and a little more. Traveling with a group of 29, teens and adults I guess you can't expect everything to go perfectly, After we checked in, one of the couples with us had a lot of maintenance issues with their room so needed to bunk with others in our group the first night as it was Saturday night and the hotel was full, they got a new room next day. That first afternoon and evening it was so crowded and we were all so tired and with the issues our friends were having, we were dreading the next week. But with a new day a new sunrise things started to look better. A bit of detail about what I observed at the hotel. It's small but after staying a some five star hotels where you have to walk or take a shuttle from one your room to the beach or buffet, this was a nice change. The beach is not to far to walk but the doormen will usually be able to let you know how long for there shuttle to arrive for a short trip to the beach club. About the beach, it was probably what I expected to be most disappointed about but turned out to be very nice and we had lots of fun with the bartenders and beach staff and as someone said in a previous review, "the burgers were yummy" The pool could have been a little cleaner and is need of some repair as there are tiles missing and a few of our group got cuts from them. The staff at this place are amazing. From Ivan at the buffet to Oscar at the bar and especially Diego on the animation team whom we got to know during the last few days. Our family kind of adopted him and if we were every to go back, he would be the main reason. A few details about the services, firstly, be prepared to buy water, you get one bottle per person in your room but have to pay for more. the staff at the bar and buffet will fill your existing bottles though and you can buy water cheap at the grocery store next door (which is worth going to just to enjoy the air conditioning. The buffet is small but I really enjoyed most meals and they usually have theme nights as well. My daughter, who is vegetarian, was even able to find enough selections to satisfy her although she was a bit disappointed there was no guacamole, when we asked about why not even on Mexican night, Ivan our waiter went to make us some. he came back in five minutes with what was well probably as close to guacamole as he could make with what he had available. Breakfasts were quite good, the lady at the egg and omelet station always remembered what I liked. (be nice to her, it must be so hot in that little area where she works) The al a Carte was kind of a joke, we went in two groups over two nights and both times they were either out of something or the item was only for upgraded rooms. We did have fun though as the room was air conditioned and it was nice to be all together at the same table. The pool bar and beach bar were great and provided a full bar menu, except Caesars...um hello, The rooms were clean. Some are nicer than others but all decent. Not all the rooms have a safe but if you get one it's free to use and they have a hotel safe if you don't. I found the bed comfortable and had no problem sleeping. there is some traffic noise depending on your room location but our room was at the front of the hotel nearest the main road and I didn't find it a bother. Maybe a bit of a long review but I really appreciated other peoples reviews before I booked and after I arrived to help prepare us for our stay. nice not to have any surprises. Overall I would have to say I would consider returning to the Hacienda, Mainly the staff and friendly service makes this place enjoyable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank T K
Reviewed 31 July 2013

When I first arrived at the hotel I was greeted by the woman at the front desk, who clearly did not know I was Mexican, by her speaking about me in Spanish to some other co-worker who asked if I spoke Spanish after he saw the horrified look on my face. When I told them I did, she sheepishly asked me why I didn't tell her I was a Spanish speaker. The trip was very average but what I'm here to complain about is that when I arrived at the hotel I payed five hundred dollars of the fee in cash, and then the rest on my boyfriends credit card. Our trip was from February 28-March 8. About a month after my boyfriend and I had both returned back home after being in Mexico, my boyfriend had a withdrawal of £7,000 which converts into more than a thousand dollars. I called the bank and they had no explanation at all for this withdrawal.Their bank had decided to remove money and than a month later remove even more that they were never authorized to remove. Now six months later my boyfriend still has not received all of his money back because of the money I paid for in cash and didn't think I would need to keep my receipt for. We booked this hotel to save some cash but it was not worth any of this trouble at all. I would have been better off paying more at an expensive hotel who wouldn't speak about their customers in spanish or steal money out of their account after the trip.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Erica O
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This hotel was exactly what I was looking for. I had first discovered it several years ago on a Mexican Riviera cruise that made a stop in Puerto Vallarta. It is within walking distance from the cruise terminal and I decided to have breakfast there and was very pleasantly surprised. Their breakfast buffet was great and had many choices. I was so impressed that I've stopped there for breakfast every time I was on a cruise that stopped on Puerto Vallarta. The All-Inclusive was such a good deal that I just had to book an entire week instead of just stopping for breakfast. The hotel is like an old Mexican hacienda and is very relaxing. The service is outstanding; the entire staff, from reception to waiters to bar tenders, seem to go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: All rooms overlook either the pool area or the gardens and have either a balcony or a terrace. I re...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Phil R
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Things got off to a bumpy start when I arrived to check in and was told there was no reservation for me. I'd booked my flight and hotel as a package with Travelocity and was clutching a printout of the prepaid hotel reservation. They did give me a room, but on that particular day- no one at the desk spoke much English and they acted pretty distrustful. That took 24 hours to sort out.

I didn't want an all inclusive food package and that caused a few problems too- the language barrier exacerbated the difficulties.

But it was a nice place. Once I'd loosened up a bit, and stopped sweating the small stuff- I enjoyed what it was. Charming really. Warm service by attentive staff. A pretty courtyard with cool folksy art. A nice pool and bar area. The location is a few kilometers North of town, but just a few minutes and a few pesos into town or to the airport by bus. The beach is a 5 minute walk, and there are lots of loungers with sun umbrellas. I ate at hotels by the beach some nights and was not particularly nervous walking home after dark.

I liked the food available at the Hacienda buffet. I bought 24 hours of the all inclusive package. Next time I might buy the whole all inclusive package because it was really good value. The all inclusive comes with unlimited alcohol too. The eating area had a nice atmosphere.

I value atmosphere, a decent pool, bar, and beach access. For my limited holiday budget- I liked what I got at the Hacienda. I'd love to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank luvs2roam
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I read the reviews for this hotel and looked at many photos before deciding that this was just the sort of small, uniquely Mexican hotel that my husband and I were looking for in PV. It was pretty much met our expectations , although there are a couple of things that need some work. I will address those later.

We had the All Inclusive Plan and upgraded to the Premium AI room as we wanted to be guaranteed that our room was not facing the noisy street and the upgrade , although costing very little, turned out to be worth its weight in gold! Not only did we get a decent, very clean room facing the garden area but we were treated to turn down service each evening complete with towel art and chololate. In addition, we were offered some premium dishes at both lunch and dinner in place of the regular buffet if we so desired and we could get top shelf liquor and a higher end of red wine than the house wine. The buffet food was average to good but we found the a la carte meals to be of a very good standard in terms of taste and presentation.

The staff at this hotel are outstanding. I cannot think of one staff member who didn't go above and beyond to make sure we had an enjoyable stay. One morning, we stopped by the front desk on our way back from breakfast to request more clothes hangers and a couple of extra pillows. By the time we got to our room door, the housekeeper was walking down the hallway with her arms full of hangers and pillows! The dining room wait staff were constantly asking if we needed anything extra with our meals,and my morning coffee cup never got empty before a refill arrived .The bar staff too were always friendly, professional and fun.

We did mention to the front desk manager that the pool needed to be kept cleaner as there were so many people using it that it was often murky with a film on top. Since it is open from 8am to 9pm, maybe there isn't enough time for the chemicals to actually do their job, I don't know what the solution is to that! We did notice though that it was somewhat cleaner our last couple of days, so it would seem that we were listened to. Also, we reported that both ladders into the pool needed some attention, in fact one had the bottom rung broken and myself and another guest both stumbled getting from the ladder into the water. It was taken away to be repaired so hopefully both are back in place, operational and safe by now.

The dining room chairs desperately need a good cleaning. Because the area is open-air, it is at the mercy of the birds that fly in and perch, looking for food. In addition, the pool lounge chairs also get many daily visits from the birds and their droppings. I imagine it is a constant challenge to keep them clean and in good order.

In summary, we both thought that this little hotel was very good value for what we paid. Over the weekends it fills up and is VERY loud around the pool area with techno music blaring, but come Sunday afternoon after many people have checked out the noise level becomes tolerable again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank judyper
Reviewed 1 June 2013

My wife and I spent 4 days here. Our room was clean (however very out-dated). I read the reviews before arriving so I knew to have low expectations. We found the room and entire property pretty much the way other reviewers commented on. This property is 2 star at best but you can't beat it for the price. We loved the fact that it had mostly Mexicans staying there as they are warm and friendly.

We got the all inclusive option. There was plenty of food during the meal times but the quality was average. We never ate the snacks they offered between meals -they didn't look appealing at all.

We went to the beach club twice. We liked it. They had music, drinks, snacks, bathrooms, shower, beach chairs and umbrellas -all free to use.

There is a very large grocery store around the corner from the hotel. We went there to buy sunblock and other incidentals.

If you are planning on taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, don't use the taxis inside the airport. They will charge you 250 pesos or more. when you exit the airport head to the left. If you walk around the building there is a foot bridge that will take you to the other side of the road. Taxis over there will take you to the airport for 100-150 pesos less. Before you get your taxi, make sure you buy lunch from Pollo Feliz (Happy Chicken). They are located at the bottom of the stairs next to the taxis. We got ours to go and ate it at the hotel while they got our room ready. If you do this get ready to be confronted by angry taxi drivers. They don't want you walking across the bridge because they earn their living by overcharging tourists. They will tell you it is not safe, the cars don't have air conditioning or anything else they can think of so you won't find your bargain.

Another note about the airport in Vallarta: after you get your luggage you will walk through the "shark tank". This is a large room where time-share reps, excursion vendors and taxi drivers lurk waiting to pounce on unsuspecting tourists. If you get stuck in their web you will be stung with over-priced services. These people are highly trained and will pull every trick in the trade to suck your money out of your wallet.

My advice is to have a talk with everyone traveling with you so you are all on the same page and you know what to do when you get in the shark tank: pretend you don't hear them and walk without stopping. Don't stop. Don't make eye contact. Don't look to the left or right. Keep your gaze straight ahead. Just keep walking and you might make it out without getting ripped off. Some people find this hard because they don't want to be rude or mean but it is the only way to protect your hard-earned vacation money.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple