Hacienda Buenaventura Hotel & Mexican Charm All Inclusive
Ranked #19 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I just spent a week at this hotel and I have to agree with a lot of the reviews I had read previous to booking my all inclusive mini vacation at the Hacienda. Most of the staff are friendly and helpful. But so are alot of Mexican people. I have been visiting various places in their beautiful country for 25 years and they have always been great hosts.
I have seen my share of world and have stayed in places ranging from 0 Star to 5 Star.
The Hacienda is in a decent location. Just a 5 minute walk to their beach club and very close to a super market. A 24 hour convenience store is also a short distance.
I really want to give the Hacienda a good review because the staff were so good, but I think they were over shadowed by the other realities of the hotel. It is and old resort and the staff do a great job with keeping it clean of course but the place is seriously lacking in simple comforts. My room was on the first floor, poolside. I would suggest asking for one anywhere BUT that location.
The Hacienda is small and only has one bar in operation currently. It is also poolside and can be obnoxiously loud until it closes a 1 am. The bar itself has only two types of beer, light and dark Tecate. The liquor is of very low quality. Everything is served in plastic cups. I found the seats and tables to be uncomfortable. The urinal in the bathroom was broken the whole week of my stay.
The pool itself is big enough but seems to have an inadequate filtration system.It is cleaned daily
but the water is murky. There are more than enough loungers.
My room was clean and basic with an old TV and a hard uncomfortable bed. There was an ample supply of soap and towels in the bathroom and plenty of hangers in the large closet.
The furniture on my balcony was wrought iron, small and again, uncomfortable. Air conditioner worked well The woman who cleaned my room daily, Maria, was very pleasant.
The main restaurant in the Hacienda is large enough and well presented. The buffet food was seriously lacking in variety over the course of my stay and was bland and always cold. With the exception of breakfast when I ate fresh, made to order omelets.
The Beach Club was an easy 5 minute walk away and offered snack and beverages until 6 pm.
There were definitely not enough beach loungers on busy sunny days. The usual vendors were many and always polite.
The Hacienda Resort and Spa has great bones but needs an upgrade. Simple things like comfortable furnishings and fixtures in the restaurant to keep the food hot. Maybe an expansion of their menu. More selection and higher quality spirits and liquor in the bar.
I still had a great mini vacation in Puerto Vallarta because the people I met and spent time with were great. Vallarta offers great restaurants, nightlife and outdoor activities. But having to leave my all inclusive resort to find tasty hot food and quality cold beer defeats the purpose.
The cost of my week for the Hacienda was not cheap. I don't feel like it was good value for the money. I have stayed in less expensive places in Mexico that were far superior. Trust me, I didn't expect 5 Star comforts from this property given it's age. They really need to try to get the little things right because all those details add up an unenjoyably experience.
Value is important and in my opinion and this resort does not offer it.
Great staff. Mediocre everything else.

Room Tip: I suggest staying away from poolside rooms. They are loud due to the close proximity to the late lo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank joecanadaVictoria

Reviewed 6 January 2014

The hotel facilities are rated 3 star and it probably is accurately rated. If you choose this hotel/resort because it's affordable, then don't expect it to be a five star. It's a bit old, a bit run down, a bit small, a bit distant from the beach, a bit limited on food selection and supply BUT this hotel has the most wonderful staff who will do whatever they can to make your stay enjoyable. We arrived late in the evening, and I have to admit that the room did not instil confidence. It felt like a motel room. But in the light of the day, the hotel was abuzz, everyone friendly and warm. The room did seem dingy even on our return later in the day, but you are there to enjoy the sun, poolside lounge chairs, and the beach club just down the street. The hotel is a short bus ride from town and a walk from a 24-hour WalMart. There is a great grocery store right next door.

If you want an affordable, cheerful and secure getaway to Puerto Vallarta, I'd heartily recommend this hotel. If you are looking for the services and amenities of a large resort, this isn't it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 22HappyTraveller22
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I had our travel agent find us a hotel all inclusive, this hotel was what we wanted :) the staff was so helpful, we wanted to be away from all the touristy places and the staff were very helpful in giving directions etc. Our maid Maria was awesome, our room was always so clean, yes, the sheets were a bit worn but they were always clean :) on our 2nd day at the hotel we were at the buffet and there was a older man complaining about always having the same thing every day, we were there for 2 wks and I did not see the same food every day, the cooks made an awesome meal every day and the waiters were so helpful and courteous. If we go back to PV I know we will stay there again!

• Stayed: December 2013
10  Thank dafine1
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We went here February 2013, having travelled extensively, and having been to Vallarta several times, I knew that this was not a resort but more of a hotel. Upon arriving The room they gave me was right near the buffet, if our curtains were open than people could see inside,( not my style). We asked for a different room, and we had to pay extra for a balcony, but at least it was private. The room was clean and quaint! The hotel seemed run down. Although it really grew on me as the week passed. There was one buffet restaurant, and the food was pretty good. Though it seemed like the same stuff a lot. They had A la Carte near lobby which we didn't try because we preferred to eat out elsewhere a couple of nights. There was a grill open 24 hours which I liked in case I got hungry in night or just needed a drink. The beach was a few blocks away with a shuttle service and an area for the hotel guests. There were many vendors always around. So not very quiet.They had washrooms there and a beach bar which had snacks. It was near the marina and shopping a block away. We ate out a few times down in the malecon, to get more variety. The best restaurant we went to was Café Olla in old Vallarta. We spent a fair amount of time in the pool area when we wanted to avoid the vendors which was relaxing. The staff at this hotel was great and very helpful if we needed anything. I enjoyed this place because it was so quaint. We had couples massage at the spa which was really relaxing and they gave us free exfoliation body scrubs the next day. We also went on some excursions, whale watching which was amazing in the Banderas Bay, and we did the Pirateship dinner which was fun. I recommend this hotel if you are looking to get out and see and do things other than lying on the beach all of your holiday. I rate it as a 3.5 star hotel!!

Room Tip: higher floors have more privacy
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank saublebeach
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Upon arriving, I thought this hotel a little old and rustic. However, they're very meticulous with the gardening and cleaning of the pool area. Meals are good. This property grows on you :) Room 121, which I was in was the best for location. Close to the pool and bar. The massage I had was very relaxing and a reasonable price. Although 2 miles away from down town, the walks there were refreshing. 2 blocks away from the beach but easy to get to. A big grocery store right around the corner. Sariano.

Room Tip: Room 121 :) In the sun most of the day.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank BethDengirl
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I will start off by saying the manager there does her best but not much to work with the all inclusive option is a joke rooms are old linen worn and discolored phone in room didn't work I could go on and on this is not I repeat not a resort it is at best a motel no elevators etc I will say this is the first all inclusive we have ever been at where you had to ask at breakfast for a strip of bacon I kid you not thanks to air Canada vacations for moving us to another hotel this one was a resort not a super 8 and thanks to Laura the reception mgr and our waiter young Ivan who had the chef prepare a nice fish dinner for my wife these people made our short stay there bearable

Room Tip: after 3 attempts we didn't see any
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Bradford C
Reviewed 29 November 2013

5min from the Airport, 15min from the city center. This place has great service, great food and very very confortable beds. I would recommend it to everybody I know. This place has so much charm, it makes the trip even better.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends