“Muy Malo”

Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #27 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Grand Junction,Colorado
Reviewed 22 June 2004

Very bad experience.Problems with night security
Do not use "Call-to International" to make phone calls from your room. I was ripped off on phone calls that I did not make which was charged to my credit card.Have a bettter experience-book another Hotel -save yourself problems.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,957)

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 4 May 2004

We stayed at Playa Los Arcos from April 20 - 27, 2004. I read all of the reviews I could find about this hotel, some good and some really bad, and decided to stay there based on location and price. The location is PERFECT, right on Los Meurtos beach and within walking distance of old town Vallarta. I was interested in a relaxing vacation so we did not take any tours. We took the all inclusive because it was only $100 per person more for all 7 days (not per day). You can spend that on drinks alone, and the drinks were very good, not watered down like some all inclusives. We usually ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel, but went to differents restaurants for dinner. I found the food at Playa Los Arcos to be generally good and there was a variety (except dessert, same things everyday), amazingly the worst meal we had there was the Mexican Fiesta night . . . go figure. You can still order off the menu, even with the all inclusive with some items (lobster, shrimp) being an additional charge. One night I had surf and turf for $10.00. The filet was small but was really tasty and the lobster was grilled perfectly. I found the staff at Playa to be very helpful and friendly, including the lobby staff. Our original room had two double beds so I asked the front desk staff if they had a room with a king size bed with an ocean view. She told me none were available until 4/22. So two days later they moved our luggage to our new oceanfront room. The room was a good size and the view was spectacular. The pool and restaurant were nice and well maintained. The waiters were very accommodating and friendly. The only downside was the smell of the rooms. Really musty, they smelled like an old cottage that's been closed up all winter. Luckily we had beautiful weather and didn't spend too much time in the room. I had gone to the room a couple of times when the maid was cleaning and she was really scrubbed the floor and the bathroom, but I think they need a new ventilation system or a major remodel. We heard other people commenting on the musty smell, so it's all the rooms. It's too bad because the place is really nice and reasonably priced. I'm not sure if I would stay there because the smell really bothered me, but the price is right and you get what you pay for. In general though, we really enjoyed our stay, Puerto Vallarta is a charming town and the people are very friendly.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 16 April 2004

Our 4-night stay at Playa Los Arcos was marred by problems from the start. I had mistakenly put 1 guest instead of 2 when I initially made the reservation online since I've never known it to make a difference before in room rates. Well once my friend and I got to the room, we got a call from the front desk and a knock on the door from security a minute later to escort her AND her luggage out of the room. Apparently, no one without a reservation can step foot into your room at any time during your stay, and they have guards at both entry points to the rooms to ensure that. We get to the front desk and are asked to pay $15 more per night - okay fine. The next day we return to the room after spending time at the beach to find a room that has been cleaned and STINKS of dirty mop water smell. It was absolutely disgusting, and the only upside is that we were able to open the balcony doors to air it out. On the last day, we went to check out and had to wait at the front desk for about 20 minutes for a security guard to go check our room at that very moment. They then tried to charge us for candy we did not eat, and luckily was able to sign a form stating that I did not consume the chocolate, as opposed to the previous reviewer who sounded like he had to pay for it anyway. I will definitely not be returning to Playa Los Arcos.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Slingerlands, NY
Reviewed 4 March 2004

I love the location and the pool which is generally in the shade and is good for lap swimming. BUT the beds in the room that I like have the springs coming up and are very annoying. We have stayed in the same room for 3 years and enjoyed facing the old town and having the patio facing the ocean. Finally, had to leave early and move north to much nicer acommodations but without beach, good pool and other niceties of Los Arcos like the entertainment nightly. heated pool and resident iguanas. As mentioned by others, front desk staff are abrupt, non co-operative and evidentlhy just don't care since they have people who have returned their for over 30 years. This year the condo sales people were not too bothersome and even the vendors on the beach were hardly aggressive but were certainly entertaining. Another big plus is the Huichol Indian who sets up a display table Wed and Sat evenings and has the best prices you will ever see. He has some really beautiful larger pieces of beadwork and wool paintings worth investing in. Even if you don/t stay there, walk over those evenings and do some shopping if you want any of the beaded crafts. Dancing is available very night too.
NEXT YEAR we will take foam rubber 2 inch pads with us if we stay there again.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member