“Home away from home”

Playa Los Arcos Hotel Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #26 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 10 November 2010

I rarely write reviews... but simply put Playa Los Arcos offers beachfront rooms for under $100 US. It is not luxury class but it has character and if you want to stay in the romantic one there is no better choice. It is within walking distance to everything... not much else to say except I have stayed there 10+ times, and I am a tough critic.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank FunInMD
Write a ReviewReviews (2,960)

Reviewed 5 November 2010

Well I like to do my research and cost is a factor for me. I looked online for about two months before deciding to make this purchase and we all know how anxious one is to make sure they buy the 'perfect' experience. Well it certainly came close to that!

I travelled with my parents who are in their 60's, my husband and my almost 4 year old son. I read almost every review online as including Trip advisor to be the best source of 'real' reviews and I was not disappointed.

I was looking for a hotel that had character and a Mexican feel as I don't particularly like staying in big chains. I am a former backpacker and on my last travels 5 years ago in Mexico with Intrepid/GAP Adventures we stayed at a number of local hotels and it opened my eyes. I do like the Hilton etc.. not that they are not great - its that when I am in my room I could be in Honolulu or anywhere that has a Hilton.

Local ambience is exactly what we got. From the moment we hopped out of the taxi the service was fantastic. The bellhop was so helpful and attentive and made sure we were comfortable. Check in at reception looked a bit chaotic but was relatively quick. I would however recommend allowing at least 15 minutes when departing to the airport as there was a huddle of people with most people rushing about last minute.

We paid for an upgrade though after seeing the room we were switched to another and it was the best! I would recommend #320.
It has a direct view onto the water and you will not be disappointed.

The housekeeper Lupita was a godsend - I only wish I could take her home. My parents commented on the creative decoration she fashioned out of towels and then each day after that they came back to a new little surprise. It really made an impression on my parents who travel extensively.

The room was nice. Two large beds and everything we needed. The TV was a bit older but we were not there to watch tv so it did not bother us. We did have problems with the toilet 3 times but within a minute of calling a maintenance man was there and fixed it.

We did the all inclusive and I am so glad we did! We saved so much money! I calculated it and could have paid an extra $1000 USD for all the meals we ate! I never realized how expensive eating in PV could be!!

The hotel restaurant was nice, spacious and best of all had the best staff I have ever encountered. We stayed 7 days and it was nice to have our favorite waiters reserve a table for us - a nice touch that made us feel special. Our favorite waiter was Betulio - just great! Attentive, friendly and always had a smile!!

In terms of the buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner I was happy with the range. I did have some reservations after reading some reviews online but am so glad we chose all inclusive! The fresh juices at breakfast were the best!! My favorite themed night was the Mexican Fiesta night otherwise there was always a fresh range of food -some repeated but I would recommend the fish every time.

The beach was beautiful -though it did take two days to get used to saying "No Gracias" every two seconds someone tried to sell us something. However.. in saying that...if you observe the sellers all day trudging through the sand in the heat - sometimes with babies on their backs or carrying heavy loads of merchandise - there really is no reason to get angry - they are just trying to survive. But if you are someone who cannot handle reality or don't want to on your vacation then I would stick to the pool area or maybe suggest staying at another hotel further out of town with a private beach.

The pool was nice - sure it was busy here and there with lots of Mexican children on the weekend but I liked that. My son made new friends and we all learnt Spanish from the children for about three hours one afternoon!

Lastly - we did go to the Spa and I had three massages, pedicure and a facial. My favorite lady was Luz. Great massage and impeccable pedicure. It is more expensive than on the street where a massage is $30 but I had one of those and went back to Luz to improve on that experience!

All in all a great trip - great memories and most memorable was the staff and location of this hotel that made this trip perfect!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
8  Thank samantusia
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Stayed here for a week, the bathroom was not clean, balls of long hair were lying in the corners. No wonder, the cleaning staff uses traditional brooms. The whole room smelled wet like fungus, although it was on the 3rd floor. So the rooms were more a 2 star standard than a 4 star standard, despite a beautiful pool view and partly sea view.

The big advantage is the location of this hotel, right on the beach and right on the main entertainment street of Puerto Vallarta. I could hear some of the street music from the bars in my room, but if you like nightlife yourself, this is the closest place to everything. It was easy walking distance to all discotheques, bars and restaurants, coming home you don't need a taxi.
Another advantage is the jacuzzi with sea view right next to the bar. This is the contact center of the hotel, and it is easy to get in touch with US Americans as well as Mexicans.

Staff were friendly and plenty.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YuppyBerlin
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Beautiful Hotel, well located at Basilio Badillo and Olas Altas in the Romantic Zone with great pools and right on the beach. Both at arrival and departure, the porters were quick, friendly and efficient.
I had signed up for the "Stay 2 nights Get the 3rd night free" promotion on the phone. When I got there, they advised me the promotion was over. (While they still had about 50 of the promotional brochures right there on the desk.) I settled for a different, but more expensive rate.
Restaurant was just better than adequate; not outstanding.
When I tried to change money next morning there was a new wrinkle. This hotel needed my passport. I went back up to the room and got my passport. Back at the desk, I was now informed that I needed my airline flight number. I told them to forget it and walked aproximately 40 feet across the street and got my dollars changed with absolutely NO BS about a passport and/or airline flight numbers.

I really liked the location of this hotel, and the rooms were more than adequate with comfortable beds, and hot water in the bathrooms; but the run-a-round with changing dollars AND the fact that they didn't have Wi-Fi available makes it doubtful if I'll stay there again. There are 3 or 4 decent to good hotels within several blocks of Los Arcos and I've stayed at most of them and will probably do so again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank HarveysPlace
Reviewed 5 October 2010

I booked this hotel in spite of reading some nasty reviews and I know I'm not the easiest customer to please. I have to give this place at least a 9 overall. Staff, Location, Cleanliness, and Price cannot be beat in PV. As for the food, what do you expect when you go all inclusive. There are at least a dozen great restaurants within 3 blocks of the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank charlietomatoes
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Los Arcos
This place is a good value for the money. This hotel is dated, which may be a turn off to the typical American. However, this place is a great stay for someone adventurous. It is unique in that it blends having a downtown location, with a beach front room.
The pros: We enjoyed waking up early, and walking for miles along the beach; watching the pelicans and local fisherman. You can’t get this experience at the big hotel chains; we brought home many personal and unique memories. Go grab a beer and nachos downstairs at the Oxxo store for $4, and then sit on your deck and watch the waves roll in with the sunset. Awesome! The ocean is so close you can toss a coin into the waves from off your balcony. We didn’t get the all inclusive meals, because there are so many inexpensive restaurants just walking distance nearby. Don’t go to the gimmicky Gringo restaurants, explore the local spots - you won’t get sick. Make sure to make a special trip to go get tacos at Taco Pepe’s in the downtown area… just ask the cab driver –they open around 8pm. Cabs are really cheap to get around. Then after dinner walk back to the main Malecone, and look out for Ice Cream venders along the way (you have to try tequila Mexican ice cream). Also, great breakfasts at Jovita restaurant for $4 meals, they make home-made mole that is excellent.
The negatives: If you want a relaxing sun bathing beach experience you won’t find that here. The beach is public, allowing many local vendors to sell on the beach. It is beyond annoying. Expect a new vendor hounding you every 30 seconds. It’s a shame, the beach is just steps outside, and they provide lounge chairs and umbrellas. However, I would recommend grabbing towels and laying out down further where all the local Mexicans congregate. The venders are fewer. This hotel also has a pool where you can sun bath, however, if you like to lay in the shade like I do then the pool does not offer much. The ocean is clean for swimming.
This hotel is great for someone with kids, so many local Mexicans stay here, so be prepared to be the minority here. Sometimes their kids will be loud running around by the pool, so this can be annoying to an American who isn’t prepared for this. Also, only stay here if you can book an ocean front room.
My suggestion is book two hotels: stay here for 2 days to explore downtown, then stay at a big hotel chain for the remainder of your trip to enjoy a relaxing beach experience. Overall I loved this place, but the beach venders were so bad, they are the only reason I would not want to come back.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank tecate1
Reviewed 11 July 2010

We came across this deal by accident, - £500 for 2 weeks all inclusive. We have done the whole all inclusive thing before and been dissapointed - mostly by the drinks, but Los Arcos was amazing!!! It wasn't your average local urine and rolla cola, instead they made cocktails!! They weren't always amazing, it depended on the guy who made them, but I tried margeritas, pina coladas, tequila sunrises and daquiries - as well as mixers.
The food was a little repetative, but they had theme nights and coupons to have grill and gourmet food. It was also nice to get away from the complex there were some great places down the road, i know, i know you don't buy all inclusive to eat out, but it was good to see where the locals go!! Cafe Brazil is a must!!!
This hotel isn't huge, but its pretty and clean. The beach is lovely, but the locals do use it so it gets pretty busy!!! Puerto Vallarta is really pretty too, its very authentic, and completely different from cancun!!
I found if you tipped (little but kinda often) - and were nice, the staff there couldn't do enough for you!!!
If you're planning to visit Los Arcos soon, have fun, i wish i was there!!!
x