“Great Hotel...AMAZING Staff...”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #32 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 8 August 2014

What an amazing stay! I arrived late on a Friday for a long weekend of relaxation and this hotel didn't disappoint. I was greeted by Dany at the front desk who turned out to be amazing throughout my stay (more on that later) I was checked in swiftly to my standard room (received a higher floor room due to my SPG Gold Status) It was an adjoining room with a family next door. I went back downstairs and asked Dany if there was a quieter room he could possibly move me to. Without hesitation Dany went to work on the computer, after a moment of checking with the Hotel Manager I was switched to the best room available. This was all done without questions, up-selling...etc. The grounds are all well kept, pool clean, breakfast buffet all really good. Their Seafood restaurant was reasonably priced and had some great lobster. This is not an exaggeration, everyone I encountered that worked for the hotel always had a smile on their face and were always willing to help. This made the trip so much better. So it comes time for me to check out and I can’t find my iphone, I search my room to no luck. I get back to the states and call the hotel about my lost phone. About 2 hours later I get an email from Dany saying they found my phone and were shipping it out the same day. SO COOL! I would absolutely stay again without question.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chad H
Eduardo B, Gerente at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Chad,

Thank you for sharing your experience at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, we are very proud of our people, they are capable, friendly and offer personalized service. Our goal is to provide memorable experience to our guest and make you feel at home. We are sorry you had this incident with your iphone, but fortunate that we have very well trained staff to act rapidly to help our guests. Dany is a great person, and we are very proud of his work.

This is your home in Puerto Vallarta and we hope to have the opportunity to have you back soon

Our very best regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed 8 nights at the Westin PV in July/August of 2014.

ROOMS.
We were originally booked for the standard deluxe room with partial view but was upgraded for a full view. When we checked in, we asked for a higher floor. They put us on the 6th floor, but said a room on the 11th floor would be available in a few hours. We checked out the 6th floor room, but decided to wait for the 11th floor and did not regret the few hours. The view was much more breathtaking. We were in room 1104, which was near the elevator.

COFFEE.
There is a small 4 cup coffee maker there like the old Mr Coffee types. We decided to bring our own favorite coffee from back home (along with cream, sweeteners) It's a basket type of filter, not cone and the local walmart doesn't have basket filters.

WATER.
The hotel gives you 4 small bottles of water complimentary every day with housekeeping. That was nice, esp. since you're going to sweat everywhere/every moment. Eventually, you may want to go to the OXXO across the street and buy the larger 2 gal bottles.

DINING.
Surprisingly, the main restaurant at the hotel was better than expected. We ate all our breakfasts there. Tip: sign up for SPG right away, and they will give you a 10% discount on all lunches and dinners. The staff there is extremely friendly like other reviews have said.

WIFI.
The only problem we had with wifi was that we tried to connect 4 devices, but for the $15 bucks a day room charge, that only allows 3 devices. Other than that, we had no issues. Speed could have been faster, but we were able to watch our online movies no problem. If you are paying for the wifi, you also can connect pool side too. Otherwise, you can go down to the lobby area where there is free wifi for everyone.

GETTING AROUND.
Most of our off-site excursions were to down town PV, Malecon, Old Vallarta, etc. We took the bus which is much cheaper (7.5 peso/person which works out to under $2 for a family of three) All the buses we took had no problems accepting dollar bills despite what the front desk told us. They will give you change in pesos. The bus stop from the hotel is right outside the main entrance. I've included a picture of the "bus stop" in my pictures. Please note, many bus stops are not marked, and most bus drivers will stop for you almost anywhere, if you flag them down. Almost all buses look alike in PV. So you have to be careful which bus you get on. From the Westin, you'll want to look for the one that says MARINA VALLARTA or MARINA VTA on it. That's the only one that goes into the Marina and services the hotels on the row. That's not important when you're leaving the Westin, as that's the only one you'll see, but coming back (from downtown, etc) make sure your bus says that on top. It might also say "Westin" on the list of stops. Take that one. The most we've ever waited was about 10 minutes to catch one. However, bus travel is slow going , and it takes anywhere from 25-30 minutes from the hotel to the malecon. The buses are hot with no airconditioning, so be advised. On several bus rides, I was easily able to ask a few locals - some travel pointers, stops, and they were very friendly and helpful.

HIGHLIGHTS OF THE TRIP.
Zip-lining (see my other review)
Visiting the Hidden Beach (see my other review)
Releasing baby Turtles at the Marriott.

FINAL TIP.
Mosquitoes. OMG. They're everywhere in PV. Bring your best repellant and good luck.

Room Tip: higher the room the better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank kahunabilly

Dear Client:

We would like to thank you for your recent visit to our property and similarly, the share with us your experience at The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta.

We are very proud of our staff, they focus in providing personalized services and creat memorable stays to our guests;

Look forward to welcoming back soon and we can provide the service you deserve.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I will be coming back to this Westin without a doubt, I have no desire to bother with any other place. The staff is outgoing and goes out of their way to fill your needs, they go out of their way to make your stay is more than pleasant. The food and drinks with Hector at the swim up bar are beyond amazing. The cooks are mind blowing to watch and know what they are doing. No matter whom you have interacted with the employees make you feel they know you without fail. I have never had such an amazing experience at a resort and felt so well taken care of. Manuel (the man that ran activies) was awesome and made you feel like family right off the bat. Esmeralda at the front desk was completely accommodating and friendly as well. From the first moment to set foot in the resort you are constantly greeted with a smile an feel you have known everyone for a long time. The lobby is "muggy" because you're in Mexico and there are no walls on the sides to keep in cool air. The television went unnoticed by myself because I was in Mexico and wasn't there to watch tv, I saw it was there but had no desire to watch it. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly each day, towels are replaced and sheets are changed unless you put out your "do not disturb" sign. The OXXO is similar to the 7 eleven in the US located right across the way from the resort and a fantastic place to stock up on snacks and bottled water during your stay. Bachas is the best place to eat on the marina with outstanding staff and food that I miss the most. The lighthouse is the place you can't afford to miss for the view alone, if you enjoy drinks I recommend enjoying a few there. Highly recommend the Westin for sure a resort to stay at and won't regret.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate every comment that we get from your recent stay at The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta.

Even more, to know that you had a memorable westin experience.

We hope to host you very soon at this beautiful paradise in Puerto Vallarta.

Cordially,

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Location, Location, Location! I am completely happy with our stay at the Westin in Puerto Vallarta and will return sooner than later. The location is perfect as the Marina is a quiet place to relax and escape from the hustle and bustle of downtown with amazing food/drink options (Bachas (awesome food), Lighthouse bar, and the swim-up bar at the Westin has great food with Hector as an awesome bartender and are all phenomenal) and also has a great beach at the resort.

The staff at the Westin treats you as if you are family and always have your best intentions. Manuel who runs the activities at the Westin is the most personable and amazing guy that you could imagine. He is so welcoming and one of the most friendliest guys you could meet with the great voice and sparkling personality. The Westin wouldn't be the same without him. Esmeralda at the front desk was also so helpful with an issue we had with a bank ATM and has great follow-up to make sure everything was corrected and we had what we needed. Jaqii was also great who coordinated the activities along with Manuel and made our stay at the Westin great. All I can say is the staff is very attentive and can't imagine improvements.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable and has everything you need. The beds are so comfortable. The décor fits the area and very cozy. People complain that the lobby is warm and humid, BUT it is completely open to the outdoors and so beautiful. Duh!

The POOL! Wow! That is all I can say, A beautiful place to hang during the day with like I said before, awesome swim-up bar with "the man" Hector and the amazing cooks and staff. The beach access is perfect, beautiful and safe with outdoor showers to wash off after your swim.

We didn't try the restaurant with-in the hotel, but Arrecifes Seafood & Steakhouse has great appetizers with a great view of the sunset. You have to try the mussels. So good!

We will return to the Westin and can't wait for our next trip. Thank you to all the staff who made our vacation a highlight. You can't go wrong choosing the Westin in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade and the higher you are the better.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ben B
Eduardo B, Gerente at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear guest,

We are delighted by the fact that you had a wonderful stay with us, and that you took the time to write such a well detailed feedback of your stay, because such details are what helps us learn and keep in check. Also we want to share with you a special thank you from all the departments you mentioned. We would be delighted to have you back soon. Best wishes for the remainder of the year.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have recently spent 6 nights on a family vacation at the Westin Resort. The total experience from the quality of the suite we stayed, choice of food(especially breakfast buffet :-)), personnel, swimming pool, access to the beach was outstanding. We felt right at home and think any family would do the same. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Naushad A

Dear Naushad,

Thank you for your comments, it is great to know you enjoyed your stay in The Westin Resort & Spa Puerto Vallarta.

Definitely we are happy to know you lived a renewed and special stay with us, and look forward to your preference and have the opportunity to offer you more memorable experiences.

We wish to receive you as our guest soon!

Gerente General

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have to say that Westin PV has one ov the friendliest hotel staff I have ever met. The head bell man/ valet (I believe his name was Pedro) and housekeeper Carmen are the nicest people you will ever meet. They are so genuine in their greetings and both elevate your experience there. Exterior of the Westin is dated, but our room was very nice. We were located on the 12th floor with Ocean and Mountain Views facing old town PV. Grounds are well maintained and they are updating their spa which was under construction when we were there. Pool is a 3/5 stars. The only sour note is that upon check out, our bill showed a 120 peso charge for making a 5 min local call to the neighboring spa. No one told us that there was a charge to call local and the room itinerary doesn't mention it as well. $10 US to make a 5 min phone call??? Thats pretty steep!!!

Room Tip: Stayed on the 12th floor where the SPG lounge is. The views are incredible! Our room was spacious an...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Eduardo B, Gerente at The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Westin Resort and Spa.
Our staff always do their best work, to make your stay unforgettable. We apologies for the inconvenience you had with the calls.
We hope to have you back soon, so you can enjoy our new spa.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I was shocked upon checking into the Westin Puerto Vallarta at the overall condition of the property. The lobby looked liked it had been partially redone around the check in area, but walking to the elevators revealed a dilapidated fountain and unclean "pool". The elevators smell terrible. When we got to our floor (4th) it looked as if we were staying at a motel- the floors were filthy and stained and the overall appearance was that of neglect. The rooms are small with outdated furniture and a tiny TV., bathroom was ok but glass on shower walls was stained with soap scum. Our balcony was dirty and beds looked just ok. We had trouble with internet, tried to call front desk- no one answered which happened all four times- we had to just walk down to talk to anyone. The pools looked beautiful but again, were not that clean and in desparate need if repair. While there are signs everywhere saying don't reserve chairs- 80% of the chairs had towels on them reserving them by 10am and no pool staff to help out. In fact in 4 days, being at pools 5-6 hours a day, not once did we have bar service or anyone at all walk by. We went to the swim up bar/restaurant and they were so rude- threw menus at us as if we were asking too much- never followed up so we just left. We were coming from a very luxurious time share and chose the Westin because of Starwoods reputation and based in prior stays at other Westins- needless to say, we were VERY disappointed- management should really evaluate the level if service and the quality of the facilities. One positive nite however was the breakfast buffet- great service and a great meal.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Dana,

Thank you very much for your feedback from your visit to our hotel.

It was very disappointing to learn that according to your comments our quality standards were below their normal operating level.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences; I assure you that necessary measures have been taken so this does not occur again to any of our guests.

We hope to having the opportunity to host you in the near future and serve you as deserve.

Cordially,