“Love the Westin and PV - Absolutely Awesome”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #30 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
A TripAdvisor Member
“Love the Westin and PV - Absolutely Awesome”
Reviewed 5 May 2006

My husband and I went to the Westin April 21st for 8 days. I loved the resort and was very impressed with PV. This is by far my favorite place in Mexico. Our room was on the 11th floor and was very nice. We had a great view. Loved the cement floors - so much better than carpet! We never heard any noise from Nikki Beach. We actually ate dinner at Nikki Beach 3 times - great food and it is so romantic. One time we got a bed, ordered a bottle of wine (or two), and watched an incredible sunset. The restaurants in PV are some of the best I have ever been too. We rented a car and drove all over. We went to some awesome beaches. We also went to Wal-Mart down the street and stocked up on some essentials. The Marina area is awesome and much bigger than expected. I can't wait to go back!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Greek first
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 5 May 2006

We stayed here for a week in March with our daughter and loved it. The room was not the cleanest but that was our fault. We rushed the maid and I did not let them return once inside. The view was excellent and make sure to ask for rooms above the trees. We loved sitting on the balcony once the baby went down. As for the person who said Puerto Vallarta is dirty...welcome to Mexico. The people are warm, cigars are cheap and the tequila can't be beat. We loved Nikki beaches food and had no problem with noise. Ask for Carolos and he will deliver food on the beach for you during the day. We tried to upgrade to a club room but it was sold out. I recommend these rooms with any Weston.
We had a nice relaxing time here and would return. A nice surprise - I am normally a Cabo fan but prices were to high this year.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank Dapger
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 1 May 2006

For those who venture into Mexico, this is a really nice hotel. The pools are nice, Nikki beach is very cool, no sound problems. The staff was amazing, Karla at the pool, Marivel at our room, absolutely zero complaints! Food is expensive but good, the top drink at the pool will run $10 but where else do you have 5 flavors to choose from a loaded coconut?
I will stay here again. One other note, avoid the buffet downstairs for $22, go across the street to the Marina where there is a plethora of small eateries. Benedettis pizza across the street is also good, seasame seed crusts, my wife still talks about it. Avoid the phone in the hotel, go to the Deli/Liquor store across the street, buy a phone card for 10$, and use the pay phone outside for 20 minutes of fun. The nice part of this hotel is that is in a newer (Marina Vallarta) part of the town. Cabs are 60 pesos, 6 bucks each way into Centro Vallarta and the incredible Malacon, the rock walk along the store fronts and ocean, awesome. Places to eat, Vista Grill, take a cab, the hike will kill you, 80 pesos. Avoid the Urchin Foam on the lobster unless you have a flair for an ammonia aftertaste. The rest of the food, wine, and vew is worth it. EXCELLENT. Back to the Malecon, Bar with No Name, great for sports nuts and very cold beer and Margaritias. Italian food in Mexico? La Dolce Vita is awesome, try the lobster pasta in a white sauce, you won't want to come back to the states! The River Grille under the main bridge is awesome as well, great breakfasts and some 3 foot Iguanas hanging in the trees right next to you! Finally, Las Polomas, there are 2, one on the Malecon and One in the Marina, try it.
For those who are expecting Hawaii, stay home, this is Mexico remember. But after over 20 trips into Mexico, this is by far the best city yet, cool brezes off of the Pacific, the weather was incredible. We rented a car (make sure to get 100%) car insurance/Mexican) and had a series of incredible day adventures. See my other postings on Yelapa, Punta Mita. Mismaloya Beach, and of Course, Chico's paradise.
Stay at the Westin, for Mexico, this is 5 Star all the way. The city is incredible! The hotel and pools are great.

12 Thank fremontbob
Detroit, MI
Reviewed 25 April 2006

We stayed at the Westin during the busiest week of the year and it was great. The place is clean, the pools are great. We went to the Marriott where some friends were and the pool area is one giant open area. The four pools at the Westin offer much more privacy and a better selection of sun vs. shade. We stayed on the fourth floor and I thought the view was spectacular. We could see the ocean through the palms and I thought it was perfect. The ambience and service was excellent. The Club Regina people were very low key, I just gave them a nod and a wave and kept on truckin' with no problem. The drinks and food are a bit pricey, but just like everywhere else I've been on spring break vacation. A tip; go into the club regina deli, you can get drinks and snacks for 20-25% of what you pay at the pool. There's a sign that says for club regina members only, but there is no one to stop you and I just walked in and paid cash with no questions asked. I did not consider staying on the upper floors where they have the continental breakfast included, but it might be a good idea as the breakfast buffet at the restaurant downstairs was $17 for the cold buffet, or $23 if you wanted eggs. It was $7 for 2 cups of coffee for me and my wife at 8, then $40 for our buffets at 9.

For dinners, the selection of excellent restaurants is great. The best one we went to was the River Cafe. We also loved their sister restaurant in town, Mestizos. In the Marina area next to the Westin, the Gazebo restaurant was a surprise delight.

I did not check out the indoor fitness club as there is a very useable 6 kilometer running route from the front entrance of the hotel. The bellhops have water and cold towels for you on your return. Running before 9 avoids any hot sun and was very tolerable.

My teenage kids loved the canopy zip line trip and the dolphin swim. Snorkeling is mediocre at best and probably best saved for a trip in the Carribean.

Maybe it's just me, but my major disappointment was that there was no place where you could easily and quickly get a good coffee. The Marriott had a deli with an espresso machine and great mochas and lattes for $3. I walked there a couple times but wish Westin would put a similar machine in their cascade bar which sat empty all morning and afternoon. All in all, I'd definitely go to the Westin again. I think it's the nicest place in Marina Vallarta, but I did not check out Nuevo Vallarta.

11 Thank Russ C
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 April 2006

We stayed at the Westin the last week of march until April 1st. Check in was superb and we were treated very nicely. Our room was on a low floor but the view was still very enjoyable. We could see the beach and obstructed view of the mountains and the whole beautiful pool complex and the ocean. The room was clean and well cared for everyday. In fact one lightbulb was out upon arrival and was noted and fixed within a half hour. The pools were quite cold, except for one which everyone gathered in. Even so , the hotel never felt crowded or cramped. Service at the restaurants by the pool at lunch was slow, but never really effected us that much. Downtown is wonderful, my six year old had a great time at night on the malecon and everyone much buy one of the wonderful Huitchol pieces of art.
Dinner at Barcelona at sunset was fantastic, food out of this world.

The highlight was swimming with the dolphins. My daughter said it was the best day of her life. All in all we would visit again.

Happy vacation everyone!

Northern Virginia
Reviewed 16 April 2006

My spouse and I stayed at the Westin in Puerto Vallarta for a week in April 2006 and loved it. We paid extra for a Royal Beach Club room with King Size bed on the 12th floor and it was great. For $40 extra the Royal Beach Club gives you a high floor with wonderful view (11th, 12th, or 14th floor ), great breakfast buffet (hot and cold items)in the 12th floor Club room, and open bar with snacks in evening---it's well worth it.

Our room was top notch with heavenly bed, heavenly bathroom and full balcony. Actually given the view, it was nicest room we've ever stayed in (we've travelled alot)and definitely up to Westin standards. The floor is made of tile, and with a large area of lacquered brushed concrete. People have complained on this site about there not being carpet, but given the humid climate the floor type is appropriate.

Yes, as others have said, due to tall Palm Trees, you need to be on sixth or above floor for unrestricted view of the ocean, but even having to view the ocean through palm trees on the lower floors can't be too bad either, and is presumably cheaper.

We had little problem with time share people. The Regina building complex is adjacent to the Westin and is for Time Share Club members. They have a desk across the hall from the Westin Hotel part and I avoided them. I did get a call after I checked in to come down for my free drink coupons and tee shirts. I presumed this was from the time share people and did not respond. Also, there are time share people at stands across from the hotel on the sidewalk leading to the Marina. They yelled out ot us, but we kept on walking. Annoying, but no big problem.

There are four pools with two swim up bars. Due to the many palm trees, each chair gets periods of shade and sun each day. If you want all of one of the other, you probably need to move. Actually, the spots that are shady all day are under low trees and in the most demand with people marking them with towels early each day (towels become available at 8AM). People on this site have complained that they have to sign a recipt to get a towel with a penalty of $4 each if not returned. I had nor problem with this. It assures all towels are returned at the end of each day so they can be laundered overnight and put out again the next morning. (When I was at the Westin in Hilton Head people left towels strewn all over the beach and there was always a shortage). The wooden "pergulas" fronting the beach are pure heaven. The front row costs $80 per day and the second and third rows, $60 each. Included in the price is an ice bucket with bottled water, and head/neck/shoulder/back massage right at the pergula. It makes you feel like royalty.

Yes, there were lots of kids at all the pools--it was spring break for many in the U.S. and Holy Week in Mexico so kids were off from school. I don't see how you can avoid kids unless you go to an adults-only resort. Also, there may be more kids here than other hotels because of the time share aspect of part of the complex. But there were lots of honeymooners too.

People have commented about the music coming from the Nikki Beach Club. Well, it is loud at times, but you have to be near it to hear it, and some poeple really like the music or they wouldn't play it. We closed our sliding glass door at night (the air conditioning worked fine) and all was quiet. Of course we were on the 12th floor, located away from the Club--not sure how it sounds from different locations.

Yes, food at the pool is very expensive. But you need to consider that you are poolside at a resort in the tropics. A Sandwich goes for $12 and mixed drink $8. A tip--the sandwiches are large and on several days we ordered one for the two of us and shared it.

The gynasium charges $7.50 per visit, but it is a first rate gym/spa complex with attendants, towels, water, a wide variety of machines, a cable TV stand at each set of aerobic machines and head phones.

The ocean is not the brilliant turqoise blue of Cancun but this is the Pacific ocean, not a shallow reef area. Cancun doen't have the exotic jungle covered mountains plunging into the ocean...so it's a trade off. I walked one day up the beach to look at the Marriott where I had also considered staying. It's not easy to walk from beach to beach---you have to clamber over jetties with boulders to get from one beach to another. Anyway, the Marriott, looked nice but they had only one large pool with hundreds of poeple in concentic horseshoe rings around it. I think the Westin arrangment is nicer.

The only ripoff from the week was the taxi ride from the airport to the hotel. I was charged $15 for a less than ten minute ride. It only costs $4 on the return trip from the hotel to the airport. Not sure how to avoid this on the way in---maybe ask first and negogiate. Other than that the taxis are reasonable--only $6 to get into town.

The restaurants we ate dinner at were all first class in my opinion and are as follows; Nikki Beach at the Westin, El Palomar de Los Gonzales, Le Kliff, Vitea on the Malecon, the River Cafe, Porto Bello at the Marina, and Cafe Des Artistes. We sat out doors at each and had researched a number of them on the intenet. My three favorites of the group were le Kliff, Palomar de Los Gonzales, and the River Cafe.

I was helped greatly on the trip by reading ahead on the internet particularly, this site. I don't understand the naysayers. I can't wait to return.

25 Thank Annandale,Va.
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 April 2006

My wife and I stayed there for a wedding and had an amazing time. Our first trip to Mexico and we came away definitely wanting to go back to Puerto Vallarta. From the moment we arrived till our last minutes there we had a great time. Resort is excellently maintained, our room was large with a shower and tub, nice balcony overlooking the pools. Staff were are all courteous and helpful and the grounds were manicured like a golf course, and so many pools to choose from! After a long 5-hour flight getting in the pool and swim up bar made it all worth it.

Cost for drinks ($7-8) is what you'd expect of a resort of this caliber. We really liked their breakfast buffet and did that a couple of mornings as a treat. A local place for great Mexican is Victor's which is a 5 minute walk down the street from the hotel at the marina. Go into town and spend 1/2 a day and you'll be pretty much done--check out the flea market, enjoy the ocean and have a great lunch or dinner.

Hints--exchange money when you arrive for the cabs into town--it will make things easier for you and the cabbies.
Do NOT agree to any time share pitch which starts at the airport even--we graciouslly declined. We did one years ago on a trip to the Bahamas and wasted 1/2 a day.

8 Thank Sailguy