“Great Stay January 2007”

The Westin Resort & Spa, Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #43 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 23 January 2007

The negative reviews that I have read regarding this property were exaggerated and mainly false. (I have traveled all over the world so I have experienced many different Hotels and levels of service) and this was in general what I consider a great vacation hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Nice Guests and children were everywhere. The pool area was kept so clean everyday. Power washing the stone floors in the AM, water recirculation in pools, sweeping up the leaves from the beautiful trees daily etc...
I have to say, the Beach was not so great. The Westin has nothing to do with this though. I believe if you choose to vacation in an area that HUGE cruise ships dock you will not find pristine beaches.
If I had to make complaints here they are: the pina colada drinks and blended tropical drinks that my husband and I ordered were very weak! I rarely drink ever and I would imagine that I would know if a drink contained alcohol (get buzzed or strong taste) and these were so weak. The breakfast buffet is $24.00 US dollars per person per day. If you eat next door at the Myan Palace between 7 & 9 AM the cost is 2 persons and kids under 5 for $ 17.00 US. We walked next door every morning for breakfast and saved about $ 30.00 every morning. The Mini bar situation is nuts. If you put anything in the Mini Bar they will try to charge you as having used your own items????
I loved my vacation. The Hotel was great …Relax and enjoy….

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank TravelChicago
Write a ReviewReviews (1,960)

Reviewed 22 January 2007

Let me begin by saying that we loved our stay with the Westin Hotel. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. The room was beautiful and the view from the balcony was wonderful. After reading numerous complaints about the beds, I expected the worst. However, we found the beds quite comfortable to sleep in. Our only real complaint about the room was the noise from the dehumidifier, but we easily remedied that by turning it off at night to sleep.

Our only concern was the with the Club Regina.....I must say to any newcomers to the hotel-AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!! Our first morning after arriving we were stopped in the hotel lobby by a representative from the Club Regina. They asked us to join them for a free breakfast and offered us several incentives to attend a "90 minute" timeshare presentation. We very foolishly agreed to go. Then several hours later and after extremely high pressure sales tactics, we found ourselves as new owners of a timeshare. Once away from the sales staff and with a few moments to collect ourselves, we realized that we had made a terrible mistake. Then, as per our sales agreement & a 5 day cancellation clause, we attempted to cancel our contract. What an awful experience. They had charged our credit card nearly $2000. for downpayments and closing costs. The finance manager refused to make credit to our card but assured us that it would be done within 30 days. Well, that was 41 days ago and our credit card company has yet to hear a word from them!!!!! We have of course contacted the company since our return without any success in getting our refund.

Club Regina was not the only timshare attack that we had to endure during this visit. It is a shame that such a beautiful vacation spot can be so blackened by the frequent molestations of timeshare representatives on every corner. We felt like we had to run from anyone and everyone who approached us while we were there.

This trip was to celebrate a special anniversary but turned into a big disappointment after this experience. While I have no complaints about the hotel itself, I would warn visitors to beware of the multiple timeshare attacks including those in the hotel lobby itself. Do not be taken in by the incentives offered for your presence at a presentation - BELIEVE ME---IT'S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank carolsch
Reviewed 7 January 2007

We stayed at the Westin December 13-22 and brought our little dog and six month old baby. My parents stayed at the hotel as well. We all had a wonderful time. We had booked a Royal Beach Club Room and enjoyed our first relaxing holiday with our little one immensely.

Our goal of the trip was to relax after a hectic six months of being new parents and spend time with my parents. We rarely left the hotel and when we did it was to stroll by the Marina which is close by. The buffet breakfast was included in our room rate (as well as the afternoon happy hour cocktails) and we found it one of the most enjoyable parts of the stay, a long leisurely breakfast in the indoor/outdoor restaurant with our whole family. Then we spent the whole day in the sun.

We would rent the cabana everyday so our little one would have shade, they are quite expensive (US$75-95) daily. We didn't really have any other options as it would have been to hard find permanent shade in the pool area, however, the pool grounds did look very nice. My parents had to stay on the beach because no dogs were allowed on the hotel grounds, this was probably the most disappointing part of the trip because we hoped Mexico would be less strict with their rules regarding dogs. (Which doesn't concern most people anyway)

That being said, the dog was sick during the trip and I took him to the medical office on the hotel grounds (how great is that!) and the nurse tracked down a vet (she had to call about 5 as it was a Saturday) and he came to the hotel to look at furry, gave him a few shots and he was better immediately. The doctor translated for the vet and was incredibly nice.

We had a great room, on the 14th floor, with beautiful views and a large balcony. The beds are not true heavenly beds but comfortable and not as bad as some people make them out to be. The hotel grounds are beautiful, the hotel and rooms are nice . . . I wouldn't paint my ceiling a distressed pink but its a vacation, If I would start picking at every decorating element in a hotel l wouldn't be able to stay anywhere. This is one of the nicest hotels in Puerto Vallarta that you will get for this pricepoint short of paying up and staying at the Four Seasons up the coast.

We are thinking about making it a yearly vacation, however, we would go during the same time (before it gets overcrowded for Christmas).

• Stayed: December 2006
8  Thank izzymou
Reviewed 26 December 2006

Dec.21- 29 2006

Well we tend to agree with the previous poster. The hotel is in typical Mexico style. Clean, good service, spacious rooms.

However #1--- the pools (5) are severly overcrowded and the hotel does nothing to enforce their own policy of no saving spaces!!! This created an absolute mess as folks get up at 7 and "save" spaces by the pool. I watched chaise lounges go saved and unused for 3-4 hours. This is especially frustrating when there are signs posted that clearly prohibit the practice. What happened was a frustrating Christmas for me, wanting to be in the sun, stuck in the shade.

However #2-- where's the adult pool? Where's the enforcement of no diving (kids of course) splashing.

However #3--Spa services are wonderful however the spa needs to "look like" a spa... no shampoo, lotion, brushes...etc in locker rooms, no place to buy the products???

Westin needs to enforce their rules or change them. It is frustrating to see the rules go by the wayside, auctioned to the highest bidder (I saw several attendants being paid to drag chairs and save them)

This combined with the ridculous pricing in Mexico ($25.00 for breakfast buffett/ $20.00 a day for room internet) in the hotel made this a nice place to visit but we will not return.

Ritz Carlton all inclusive in Jamaica was almost 30% cheaper with exquiste service.

8  Thank tchnteri
Reviewed 19 December 2006

My wife and I began our stay of 10 days in Puerta Vallarta with 2 days at the Westin. It spoiled us for the rest of the trip with a spectacular room that had a view that was unmatched. Clean, well kept up, beautifully appointed, it really is a first class hotel with staff to match. I could go on and on but will just comment on two somewhat negative aspects of the hotel that were in some previous reviews. The beach is small but actually fairly nice. Not Hawaii standards but beaches in this part of the bay just are not of that quality. The water was warm in the first of december and although not particularly clear, was not 'dirty' or polluted. Also. I would not be too concerned about noise from Nikki Beach unless you have a room very close to it or perhaps on a weekend, and even then if you close your door I doubt it would cause too much of a problem. I could suggest some restaurants in the marina but we had wonderful meals all 7 dinners that we ate in the marina so I think most all are pretty good. The weather was spectacular.

6  Thank proctrseag
Reviewed 19 December 2006

We loved every bit of it. Food was great, drinks were generous for the price, HHour every day from 6-8 in the lobby bar with very well poured drinks, and we used the gym onsite 5 times and had everything we needed. As far as the property itself, I have to disagree with the previous review. For a Westin ,in Mexico, this is a great resort. If you've ever stayed in any resort in Mexico, you know that dark woods and marble, etc. is not the way they're done...it's white concrete, plaster, tiles, etc. Yes, this is an older property, but for that fact, it was well cleaned, immaculate even, and they were ALWAYS working on grooming, cleaning, updating and lanscaping every day we were there. There were 2 conventions when we were there (the same week), but except for the people at the restaurants, didn't know it. We stayed on the 8th floor with a perfect view, no noise except a subtle beat from Nikki Beach, but it didn't hurt sleep at all. We were grateful for the dehumidifier in our room with 90degree temps every day, but then SHUT IT OFF at night so we wouldn't hear it. Our maid left us gifts every day of water and candies every night. The beds are great for Mexican-made versions of the Heavenly Bed and we slept like a charm...16 inch mattresses and down pillows...best beds we've slept in in Mexico in 9 years.
The pools: there are four pools...one for families with children, one the basic noisier activities pool, and two adults only pools. We spent almost every day at the largest adult only pool in peace and quiet...with softly piped in newage music in the landscape speakers and no noisy kids or otheriwise. The bartender at the pool, Anjel, is great and makes a MEAN margarita/rocks that'll last you for an hour! The food is more pricey out there, but very generous portions that we had to share everything every day!
Just go...if you're used to the Mexi experience, this is the best. Nice warm people, nice atmosphere, safe and welcoming.

10  Thank achanson
Reviewed 14 December 2006

We recently visited the Westin PV for a 5-day stay in December. In all honesty, this hotel in general completely underwhelmed us.

First, let me start with the positive. The staff and the food are great. An attentive staff that spoke proficient English was a great benefit to the hotel. We really enjoyed the friendly service we received from staff members like Angelica (front desk), Christian (pergola manager), Josephine (concierge) and Karla (pool bar). As for the food, it was just fine. The poolside fare was typical for a beach resort and was consistently prepared. The main dining room (Palmar) served the best food on property. The breakfast menu was pricey for the quality of food (skip the omelets...seriously). However, lunch and dinner were consistently well-prepared and delicious. The food is not pricey at all. If you live in a larger US city, the price of the food will be consistent with what you normally pay at home. Kudos to the folks who work service, the front desk and food/beverage.

If the service was notably good, the property itself was notably poor. The building has not been renovated in several years (read: decades). Cracking and re-caulking were evident in the rooms, walls, hallways and public areas. The bedroom was not your typical Westin-style with dark woods and marble finishes. The bed had heavenly-bed linens, but the mattress was not what you would expect if you are familiar with the Westin-brand. The only word to describe the room is "worn". It's not that the property is dirty, just not kept-up. If you are a light sleeper, you must bring earplugs. There is a dehumidifier in your room. It is really loud and cuts on and off during the evening and day. At night, it will drive you nuts.

That being said, the property has a general noise problem. The Melia resort next door plays disco during their day at the pool. If you are on the "Nikki Beach" side of the Westin, you will know what we mean. Also, the staff warned us of the blaring party at the Club Regina (the timeshare portion of the property) that occurs on Sundays around noon. It was like a spring-break party on Daytona Beach (pinatas, hats, cheap beer, very drunk people on the balconies screaming). Keep in mind that this crowd moves to the pool after the party is finished. The timeshare and the hotel share the same facilities.

This resort works for people vacationing with kids. There is a kid's club, but I didn't see anyone using it. If you have kids, you can hang out by the kids pool. On our trip, there were literally kids everywhere. If you want to relax as a couple on a getaway, this is NOT the place for you. Trust me on this one.

For a little R&R, we rented a pergola (that's a cabana for us Americans) for US$75 a day. It was well worth it to get some peace from the kids and constant barrage of vendors walking the beach. Good thing about the pergola -- drink & food service. You can order from the same menu as the pool bar without having to go anywhere or fight for a seat. Perfect.

This resort seems like it caters to corporate events as well. On our first three days, the resort was overrun with a corporate sales incentive trip. Nikki Beach was shut-down for an event on one evening and some of the public spaces were off limits. On that note, one of the best things to do is to have a few cocktails as the sun goes down at the Nikki Beach Club. Skip the palapa bar and go right to the beach-beds. Lay down and have a sip as the sun sets. It was great. PV has some awesome sunsets -- make them part of your night.

If you book this resort for under $200, it's a decent value for your buck. If you pay anything more than this, you will be probably be disappointed. The place is really neglected (think old beach-front resorts in Waikiki). To say that the website photos are optimistic would be an understatement. There are lots of other properties to choose from in PV. I would have chosen a different one - perhaps a more modern one further from the harbor.

10  Thank pachelad