“Beautiful Stay”

Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 122 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed at the CasaMagna Marriott in Puerto Vallarta. I haven't been there in 25 years, the city has grown by leaps and bounds since I last stayed there. I was grateful to get away from the cold we had in Tennessee, weather here was perfection, every single day with a warm breeze all the time.

Hotel had my room keys to me as soon as I drove up in our taxi from the airport which is only about 2 miles from there, they brought us straight to the room from the car,,,,,NO checkin required for us as we are Elite members. WORD of WARNING, do not fall for the taxis at the airport that everyone is trying to push you to use when you get your bags, they will charge you 20 bucks to go to this hotel, the real city cabs are out the door and to the left and will be yellow and usually Toyota Carollas, fare is only $6, or 80 pesos. Negotiate the price before you get in.

Hotel was clean, well managed, spa was beautiful and the employees there are always ready to help you with a smile. Our room faced the ocean, as does every room in the hotel, so there is no need to get an "oceanfront" room as all the balconies are angled to the ocean wherever you are. We had breakfast included in the price of our room each morning and the buffet at this hotel is truely amazing, any and everything you could want. Staff at the El Patio restaurant as well as the food was wonderful. The only problem we had was with the Champions restaurant, nobody would ever acknowledge that we were there or seat us and there were only 2 other parties in the restaurant. Atmosphere not that great there, so we left and went to the Japanese restaurant there and it was OK, food not as good as I would have hoped based on my experience with these hibachi restarants at home.,,,,otherwise everything else was perfection. Pillows at this hotel if you need featherless bedding are horrible. Marriott you need Latex foam pillows, not pillows stuffed with foam pieces,,,,,highly uncomfortable.

Hotel is within walking distance of more then we realized until the last day there. I would recommend you go to town first thing to get more acquianted with the city, there are alot of restuarants and places to shop. Try going to the marina and go to Baschas for some good quac mixed fresh from the avacado right at your table, margaritas are to die for, there is a Mall on the other side of the marnia that we didn't know about until the last night we were there. Thank you all for a wonderful stay Marriott.

Date Stayed: February 2014

2  Thank macswife
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Manager's Executive Assistant at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments about your latest stay at our hotel, I am happy to know we were able to provide you with a perfect place to escape from the cold and that you really enjoyed our breakfast buffet.

Please also receive my apologies for the inconvenient at Champions restaurant and rest assure that I have brought this to the attention of the person in charge, in order for him to make sure this kind of situation does not happen again.

I will be really happy to see you once more as our guest and if you need further information or wish to share additional feedback, please feel free to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.exec.sec@marriotthotels.com

General Manager’s Executive Assistant

Write a ReviewReviews (3,400)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

John and I are true "Marriott" people. I have tons of points with them and revel in using them in our various travels. They usually are great, but this time, the experience was spectacular!
We actually stayed at the Casa Magna twice in our recent visit to the PV area. We arrived for a two week stay, and began at this hotel for a few days before heading to Sayulita. From the moment we arrived we were treated to respectful, genuine service. Everyone from the valet at our arrival, to the front desk to the first bartender were all so nice.
Service here is top notch. They remember your name. They remember your drink. They treat you with utter respect regardless of language barriers.
The place itself is really lovely. The view over the ocean spans the entire lobby area, as it is all open air. Once on the outside grounds you step into the pool area to find a panoramic view of the beach. They keep the hotel very clean and orderly, and all the staff seems in sync with each other.
The food is very good. We only had a couple of things that were not up to standards, but for the most part, everything was not only fresh, and well presented, but also reasonably priced. As were the cocktails! This is key, since we have been accustomed to All Inclusives in the past, we were concerned about how that might add up. But it came out to be a deal! Especially since on this first leg of the trip we were on the "Sand Dollar" Special Package, with $50 (634 pesos) per day reimbursed. That was about two drinks each plus tip per day. We also stayed long enough to enjoy the other part of that package, with the 4th night FREE.
Our room was the perfect size, and upgraded as per my Gold Elite Status, with a view of the ocean. Again, great service by the staff, and clean and cozy.
The Fitness Center here is first class. I enjoy staying on my work out routine (as much as possible) when on vacation. So we hit the gym to find state of the art, well maintained equipment, a great work out atmosphere, and a private indoor pool attached. Highly impressive.
On the second leg of our stay, we were just "bookending" the trip, to be near the airport and to ease ourselves back into the real world (Sayulita is like a tropical dream, and remote) so we spent two nights back here. This time we upgraded to an Emperor Suite. Wow. Outstanding, and amazing with a double sized deck right on the beach. It was more than we needed for sure. You could have a party in this place! But it was a great way to wind out the trip, organize our bags, get those last bits of sun tanning in, and get to see the great staff again. Some of the same faces were there, but oddly, just 6 days from our first stay, the place was suddenly a third full. It was literally a ghost town compared to the previous week. But it was still lovely, just a little more sedate. This time around I got a massage at the OHTLI Spa. More on that in another review. Really great though. Service, style, price. Yea, especially the room that encompasses the many different after service spas, including a Jacuzzi, with great jets and the perfect temps, a foot bath Jacuzzi, a Hot Dip and a Cold Dip pool. With a relaxation room to boot! I also enjoyed a lovely pedicure that was worth every delicious moment.
This was a mix of both couples and families in a good way. While we normally avoid places that take kids, there was enough room for everyone here, so with the exception of a few splashers, it was overall pretty fun to watch everyone enjoy in their own way.
Special thanks to Victor at the Bar, and Grace at the Front Desk~ great customer service!

Room Tip: Go for the Ocean View! If you can swing a suite, Emperor rocks!
1  Thank Nancy46648

Dear guest,

It is a real pleasure reading through your review and found out that for two loyal customers of Marriott, this was an experience that went above your expectations.

I am truly happy to know that you took advantage and enjoyed most of the services we have for our guests, including a visit to our Fitness Center and our Ohtli Spa, where as you may have noticed our treatments are based on ancient healing techniques from Huichol Culture that promise a unique and very relaxing experience.

All the staff and I will be more than thrilled to receive you once more at our hotel; if there is anything else I can assist you with or any additional feedback you wish to share with us, please do not hesitate to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.exec.sec@marriotthotels.com I will be more than happy to help you.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

We have been to PV several times but never to the Marriott. I travel a fair amount so for part of my trip I used Marriott points . This turned out to make check in a major hassle . As a business Travler you get spoiled having big rooms and with status usually an upgraded room - not here. The rooms are small but we spent very little time there.
The pool and the grounds were terrific, not fighting for chairs around the pool which does happen many times at Spring Break is a plus.
The staff was unbelievably great from Victor at the pool, Hugo at valet and Grace and Tanya at the front desk.

Overall other than the room it's a great place to stay in PV!

Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank feff4
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Manager's Executive Assistance at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear guest,

I appreciate you had taken the time to share with us a review regarding your visit to our hotel. I am happy to know that you had overall a great experience.

Please accept my apologies for the inconvenient experienced regarding the use of your points during the check-in process, I have discussed this with our Front Office Manager in order for her to participate in further training with the staff.

I also want to thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, which I will be happy to pass to the rest of the team, especially to Victor, Hugo, Grace and Tanya.

I hope you visit us again very soon; in the meanwhile please feel free to contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.exec.sec@marriotthotels.com if further assistance is required or if you wish to share additional feedback.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

We arrived on March 1st and left on the 6th. The grounds of the property are nice and well maintained, as are the rooms -- typical of what one would expect of a Marriott Resort. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful no matter who we approached or interacted with. We were disappointed that wifi was so expensive, but there is free service available poolside, which was convenient. We spent time by the beach and pool everyday we were there, including our last morning in town. The facilities are nice and the beach is nice. There were more than enough beach chairs and umbrellas available. There are some vendors walking along the beach, but they don't pester you at all after a polite "no thank you." While the facilities were nice, there were a couple of things that weren't great about this area. First of all, service is really spotty (however, it is good... when you can get it). On our first evening there and even our second day, we joked that maybe we had been blacklisted by the hotel because we couldn't get service to save our lives. Even when my husband walked up to the bar to put in a drink order and he was told they'd be brought over to us right away, no one ever showed up. He had to go back to the bar a second time. This is just one example of this. We experienced it day after day when trying to order food or drinks. Tip: make friends with a server on duty that day and chances are they will take care of you. Btw, the pool/beach service menu items are huge portions and tasty. The drink quality can be inconsistent, but don't be shy about customizing something to your taste - the staff is very willing to accommodate you and make sure you enjoy what you're drinking.

There were a couple of property rules that I was disappointed to see consistently not enforced. The property claims to be smoke free, yet people were smoking all around the pool, in the pool, and even in the jacuzzi. Also, even though there are signs around the pool & jacuzzi stating that no children under 16 are allowed in the jacuzzi for medical reasons, the jacuzzi felt like a kiddie pool most days. Children of all ages, attended and unattended, were in there about 95% of the time, making it a little more chaotic than relaxing.

As for the location, it's very close to the airport, which is convenient, and it's located in what feels like a tucked away corner that is a mix of nice hotels and residences. It's a bit far removed from the heart of town, but it's within walking distance of a small boardwalk that is host to many restaurants and bars. The restaurants are quite touristy and there aren't many shops or boutiques, but there are at least a couple of decent dining alternatives to those on the property without having to shell out for a cab ride or walk a far distance (however cab rides into town are cheap and we never had to wait more than 5 minutes for one at the bell desk). We dined here on a couple of occasions and found it to be 'just ok'. The scene is fairly quiet and the whole place appears to shut down by 10 or 11pm. There is way more to do at the boardwalk in El Centro -- tons of shops and neverending restaurant options and a more lively night scene. It's worth spending a morning or afternoon walking around the boardwalk in el centro, but it is definitely touristy as well.

Overall it wasn't a bad experience, but it certainly wasn't good enough that we would stay at that property again if we went back to Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: We had a garden view and chose not to spend extra for an ocean view, and we were satisfied. We didn...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brenda R
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Manager's Executive Assistant at Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear guest,

I want to thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments about your vacation at our property; for us these are very important tools that help us improve the service we provide to our guests.

Regarding your comments about the service, please rest assure that I have brought these to the attention of our Food and Beverage Manager who will be working with the staff to make sure that all our customers’ requests are always attended on a promptly manner.

As for your observations regarding smoking, I will also discuss this issue with our staff in order for them to make sure that smoke free areas are respected and that our guests who like smoking are always aware of the areas assigned for this.

I hope to have the opportunity of receiving you once more as our guest and in the meantime I will be more than happy to assist you with any additional feedback you may need or any additional requests you have; please contact me at mhrs.pvrmx.exec.sec@marriotthotels.com

General Manager’s Executive Assistance

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Just got back from a 5 day stay at this hotel and was very impressed. It was so relaxing. The food at this resort is awesome and not unreasonably priced. Pool was perfect temperature. Warm enough to get right in, but not too much that you don't cool off. The views of the pool/ beach with the mountains in the background are breath taking. so gorgeous. the location is great. so close to the marina for some shopping/ spa/ restaurants. would definitely recommend this spot. as stated from other reviewers, the service at the hotel is so great. wish we could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank briloe
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Great 4 star hotel, really close to airport without the airport noise. Can walk about 2 miles on the beach and almost no vendors. Rooms are more than adequate for Mexico. The outstanding point of difference was the service. Everyone from check in to check out was very friendly and helpful.
Very nice pool area and no wind! We may make this our annual beach getaway place as it is so easy to get to from Chicago and being a smaller airport, time from landing to being in our room was less than 45 minutes! Make sure Edvin takes care of you in their beach side cafe, Las Casitas, he is great! Fantastic fitness center and spa.

Room Tip: Plenty of ocean view rooms!
1  Thank Hawthorn1Chicago
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This place is fabulous. Beautiful but so effeciently done to take advantage of the pool and beach views. The pool is the best ever - large and great for swimmers or dippers at all levels. Food in all resturants first class with great fish and guacamole.

Would love to mention staff individually but everyone was great - friendly, courteous and helpful at all times - from our maid to the doorman, to front desk to waiters at bar and resturant.

We will be back.

Room Tip: Paid a little extra to get a beach view well worth it. Rooms spacious and very comfy.We had no nois...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends