“Family Vacation”

Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Bristol, Wisconsin
“Family Vacation”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My family of seven stayed at the Marriott April 29-May 6. The staff were very attentive to our needs and worked hard to ensure our stay was great. Overall, we would recommend this to any traveler. We did not partake in the all-inclusive option as we wanted to eat at the restaurants in the Marina and in Puerto Vallarta itself. Both the Marina and Puerto Vallarta have so many great places to eat!

Room: The room size is adequate (my wife and I had a Garden Room with a king sized bed) and met our needs for the week stay. The housekeeping staff cleaned every day and replenished all the towels and bedding on a consistent basis. The shower/tub combo was a little difficult for me as I am a taller individual.

Pool: Is big and never was overcrowded. It was a little dated but cleaned on a daily basis by the staff. We spent the bulk of our time by the pool. The pool was refreshing after sitting in the sun most of the day.

Restaurants: We ate at Mikado and it was okay. Wasn't the best but wasn't bad either. Champions Bar was probably the least liked option that we had on-site. Typical bar food but not the greatest quality. Las Casitas was our favorite spot to watch the sunrise while eating breakfast and watching the sunset while eating dinner.

Spa: My wife and I enjoyed our couples massage. The staff were knowledgeable and made sure we were taken care of. However, my wife's pedicure didn't last very long and she was disappointed with that aspect.

Overall: We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to most travelers. The staff maintains this property very well. We were very impressed.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear guest,

First of all I want to thank you for choosing us as your vacation destination as well for your kind recommendation.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your week here and that the service of our staff caused such a good impression on you, they really make us proud.

Thank you as well for your comments about the restaurants; please be sure that I will pass your observations about Champions and Mikado to our Food and Beverage Director who I am sure will really appreciate the feedback.

The staff and I will be looking forward for your next vacation with us.

Demetrio Maduro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I think the rooms got a refresh, looked like new paint and freshened bath fixtures...The staff are so friendly! The local beach is nice. Breakfast time was crowded....a few of the hot stations (egg,chiliquiles, and quesadilla) need one more person to manage the crowds.

I've stayed here 3 times in 1 year and half, it is a nice property with good rates, especially if you can get breakfast included. On that note, this was fixed at checkout but my rate included breakfast, and if I didn't remind the staff at the restaurant, and at the front desk at checkout, I found it on my bill.....easy enough to fix but if you have a rate that includes those items then it should be easy for the hotel staff to use it and not put it on your bill.

A note to save some funds....if you come by airplane the airport taxis charge $90 Pesos per person! You can cross the highway bridge and pay $65 Pesos for a full Cab, NOT 90 per person

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chug66
Dear guest,

It is pleasant to know that you had another great stay at our beautiful hotel, enjoying the friendly service from our staff.

As for your comment about the charge for the breakfast, we will be working on further training to make sure these kinds of misunderstands do not happen again.

I hope to see you back in a very near future to keep enjoying our service.

Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our family traveled to Puerto Vallarta for this first time this past April. Because we had stayed at the Casa Magna in Cancun we thought we would try PV. All of the travel pictures lived up to the hype. It was breathtaking! Our room was clean and spacious. We were upgraded to the Emperor Suite from the Junior Suite due to some miscommunication. We worked with Daniel Alverez who is a supervisor in reservations. Daniel was amazing to work with from the time we booked in November 2013 until we checked out on April 12, 2914. We had an unfortunate situation where the noise levels from an incoming group got out of hand and Daniel upgraded us to a bigger room and had help ready and waiting when we needed to move. We paid extra and bought the all-inclusive so we ate dinner every night on the resort. The dinners were good, but not always great. However; the staff in some of the restaurants went above and beyond to make sure we had a great experience. Audrey and Antonio at Champions, Efren at La Casita.. were gracious and accommodating to our family throughout the trip. I have been to other all-inclusive's where the staff didn't want to wait on you, but not here. Our family was very active while on the resort. We played volleyball, tennis, soccer and football. Marina who works at the kids club was so kind to our children. I'm sure they worked her patience since they were renting some piece of equipment all day. She never stopped smiling!
Unfortunately, I do have to point out a big negative for my husband and I...if you are a serious tennis player, this is not the place for you. The courts are in serious need of repair! The nets are torn and saggy, the actual courts are not level...bumpy actually and the surface is similar to outdoor carpet. Although we loved our trip this was a big disappointment and one that would make us rethink our stay next time.
Besides that major negative for us, there were so many positives. The workout facility, the front desk assistance (Tanya in particular), room cleanliness, pool area, staff, lunches by the pool, the scenery etc..these things were outstanding! Besides the tennis, it was a great vacation!

Room Tip: Higher floors are the way to go and if you swing the extra $.
Dear Amy,

Thank you for sharing with us your experiences regarding your family vacation in our property.

I am so happy to know that all of you enjoyed an excellent time here, playing games, having fun and simply relaxing by the pool; I will gladly share your comments with the staff and thank them on your behalf for all the kindness they had with you.

Thank you as well for your comments regarding the tennis court, which is very helpful for us as it let us know an opportunity area for improvement.

I will be sincerely pleased to hear you will be coming back very soon.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We returned from the Casa Magna yesterday. Two thumbs up. Pro's and Con's listed below:

Pro's:

Raul Gonzalez!- This guys kills it. The services that he provides at the pool takes it up a notch. He was so good that we sought out his section every day. This guy works hard. When a guy is running to bring you drinks and remembers your name and room number and your order from the day before, I am impressed. All around great guy. A pleasure to see everyday. Marriott needs more Raul's!

Excellent large pool - we spent 10 hours a day there for 7 days.Big enough that if you are by others you don't like you can move and still have a great seat.

Super close to the airport - a $6 cab ride away, if you get a yellow cab. Don't let them trick you into taking a white cab.

Marina across the street - great food places, easy to get to, lots of options.

Clean

Great breakfast - Look for Reyna, she is a great server, great smile and a pleasure to see every morning.

Cons:

Getting into and back from PV from the hotel will cost you $10. We went into the city once and rented a car from the onsite National Rental (another plus) but be prepared that you aren't going to walk or take the ghetto bus.

It's still Mexico, it's just different than the US.

The beach is not white sand and really no waves.

Vendors on the beach, not really a big deal, ignore them once and they get on there way.

Room Tip: The ocean view was worth it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank springernoah
Dear guest,

I truly enjoyed reading your review, which allowed me to see that you had a great time while vacationing with us.

Thank you for the kind mentions of Raul and Reyna’s service; it is always satisfactory to see our guests writing about the excellent job of our staff as we are proud of each one of the team members.

I will be looking forward to your next visit to our hotel for which I want to recommend you a visit to our Ohtli Spa; I am certain you will find it relaxing and you will enjoy any of our special treatments.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We had several big choices to make. One doe we stay in town or at the marina, two all inclusive vs room only. We chose the Marriott as it has the best reviews for the type of resort we were looking for. My wife and I are foodies so we only eat in a hotel a few times, so all inclusive is out. Plus the food we experienced in 95% of the restaurants was excellent and inexpensive. Our best dinner at Si Senor was $130 American (ask for the table for two seaside, truly remarkable.)

The resort has a great since of entry, from remarkable statues, numerous pond and waterfalls. The lobby is spacious and inviting; We paid a little more for a suite ocean view but well worth it.

The pool was large and never in need of a chair. The servers at the pool are quick, try the grilled fish tacos, inexpensive and delicious. Fresh mango daiquiris are delightful.

Simon the Head Concierge and his staff help us with every tour and what to do for the day. Perla, one of the assistance at the hotel save the day more than once.

The General Manager of the hotel runs one of the best hotels in Puerto Vallarta. For convenience this hotel is the place to stay. Directly across from the marina loaded with great shopping and restaurants. Only 120 Pesos to downtown.

Make sure you walk the beach and head north for the finest sands.

Room Tip: Choose a upper level room four or fifth floor, suites are worth the money.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelRoadWarriors
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Management Office at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us and other travelers your comments about your experience at our property.

I am truly happy that you enjoyed our grilled fish tacos which along with our lobster tacos are one of the favorites at Las Casitas restaurant; thank you as well for your kind comments about the service received from Simon and the concierge staff.

I will be hoping to see you back very soon.

Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 4 May 2014

CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa is an excellent hotel. It is located within walking distance to the Marina, which has many excellent restaurants and shops to choose from. The hotel is in a quiet area as it is not in the downtown. Downtown PVR is a short bus ride or taxi ride away. The rooms are kept very clean, as well as the pool and public areas. The food at the pool is incredible as well as the wait staff. Specifically Antonio and Raul. I had bought my wife some earrings from a vendor on the beach, she had left them on top of a can which was picked up by a staff member and thrown away. Antonio found out where the can had been discarded, and went through the trash and found the earrings for her!! We did not ask him to do this, he took it upon himself, because he saw my wife was upset. Both waiters had smiles every day, and anticipated every need. They both need to be commended as they are a great assets to this resort. They also had great recommendations for food. The chicken wings were the best we have ever had.
There are many water sports to enjoy on the beach, Banana boat rides for the kids, jet skiis, and parasailing (these are not a part of the Marriott resort.) The beach is very nice, but the Ocean is a little rocky, and I would suggest water shoes if you want to go swimming. There is free internet access at the pool and in public areas. We have been to Cancun and Cabo, and PVR is our favorite place. We will be back in October!!

1 Thank wulffish
Dear guest,

I sincerely enjoyed reading through your kind review and to know that you had such a lovely time here.

I will make sure to congratulate Raul and Antonio for the great job they did and especially Antonio for going the extra mile and get your wife’s earrings back, this sure is a story that perfectly illustrates the service that distinguishes us.

We will be really happy to receive you and your family again in October and as you will be coming during the sea turtle season, we want to invite you to participate with us in our sea turtle protection program in which you can join us to release a baby turtle into the sea.

kalamazoo, MI
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Casa Magna Marriott in Puerto Vallarta , Mexico had a great location. It was more quiet than most of the downtown Zona Romantica hotels. A fantastic large pool and a great beach location could not be beat. The beach is safe for swimming, albeit somewhat rocky, and you can walk for a few miles in either direction. The staff at this Marriott was highly personable...we enjoyed Victor, who served us lunch on the beach as well as the hardworking consierges. Las Casitas had some tasty cuisine, especially the fish and lobster tacos and the pepitas sandwiches made with thin slices of steak.
The Marina is a 10 minute walk away and boasts some great breakfast places at highly reasonable prices. We also walked to the Starbucks which served some Mexican specialty sandwiches for breakfast and their unbeatable coffee.
All in all we will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kzoogirl
Dear guest,

I want to express my appreciation to you for giving us your review on TripAdvisor; it is always nice to hear that our guests have an excellent time with us and is even better when we know our staff was one of the main reasons for this.

I will gladly extend your congratulations message to the staff at Las Casitas and especially to Victor who really impressed you.

We will be looking forward to hearing again from you and to receive you again as our guest.