“Affordable room but $$$ food!”

CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
San Francisco
“Affordable room but $$$ food!”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Amazingly low rate of $104/night but you'll spend the money in food and drink!

Pros:
Friendly and available staff
Big pool with waterfall, in-pool bar, volleyball, poolside service
Daily water aerobics with fun instructors
Updated rooms with housekeeping 2-3x/day

Cons:
Brown ocean water!
Breakfast buffet is $27/person
20-min bus ride or 10-min taxi from downtown (ie authentic food)
4 hotel restaurants with meals ranging from $12-30/meal, $4 beer and $10 wine
Pool is dirty (old tiles, bugs, ...)

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel M
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Director General at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Rachel,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your opinion regarding your vacation at our property.

I am happy to know that you found our staff to be really friendly and helpful, we are very proud of their daily job; it is also great that you had the opportunity to participate with us in our daily aquaerobics class and I hope you also had the chance to enjoy the other fun activities we have for you like the Salsa Dance lessons, Spanish lessons, horseshoes game and many other options.

I am sorry to hear that you did not found the sea at its better condition; however this occurs only during rainy season in which the rain comes down the Sierra Madre Mountains through the river, mixing the freshwater with the salt water causing this color, while at the same time helps the amazing biodiversity that makes of Puerto Vallarta such a unique Mexican destination.

I hope to see you back very soon.

Demetrio Maduro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

This was our second visit to the Marriott CasaMagna. It had been about six years since our last visit, but the resort did not disappoint. The staff was just as we remembered, friendly, courteous, and going out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our stay. It rained a little each day or night since this is the rainy season, but not enough to interfere with enjoying the beach or the pool. We did miss out on a sunset cruise due to the weather, but saw an awesome sunset several evenings during our stay. The Ohtli Spa was awesome. Try the 80 minute Fire Opal Hot stone massage. It was fantastic. Now I must mention the wait staff at Las Casitas. Victor, Carlos, and Mauricio just to name a few treated us like royalty. Mikado Restaurant was also wonderful; the Lobster Tepanyaki was to die for. The room was a little snug, but very clean and there were fresh towels sometimes twice a day. It was definitely the relaxation vacation we were hoping for. Thanks Marriott staff. We appreciate you all.

Room Tip: Ocean View is best. Unless you can afford Ocean Front
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joyce H
Dear Joyce,

Thank you for such a kind message expressing your gratitude to our staff for the relaxing vacation that you had and were waiting for.

I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed our service and facilities, as well that you had the opportunity to visit Ohtli Spa and Mikado restaurant, for which I hope you enjoyed the Teppanyaki show as much as you enjoyed the food; the chefs there rehearse a lot to master the ability of doing the ritual with the spatulas and specially to be able to break an egg in the air, is something really amuse to watch.

I will look forward for your third visit, hoping it comes very soon.

Dumfries, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2014

To be very honest, I'm a Ritz Carlton kind of girl. I do like a Marriott, but I would choose a Ritz Carlton first. However, this Marriott and the service provided made me forget all about the Ritz. The hotel was extremely clean in ALL areas to include my room, the restaurants, and the public restrooms. I dined at La Estancia for breakfast and the food was amazing. My only complaint at La Estancia is not at the fault of the hotel or the hotel staff, it's a complaint of parents who allow their children to freely roam buffets and put their fingers in food. Or worse, adults who do the same. Seriously? But I digress. I had dinner at both Las Casitas and Mikado. I enjoyed both, although I enjoyed Las Casitas more. The rib eye at Las Casitas was on par with a Ruth's Chris or Capital Grille. I was pleasantly surprised. I was also pleasantly surprised that all of the staff (even some of the housekeepers) spoke English.

The Ohtli Spa was awesome. Great option of services and great customer service overall. Prices were decent as well.

My issue was not at all with the hotel, it was with the beach and the weather. So apparently I picked the rainy season to visit PV. Completely my fault. I was told the rainy season extends until September. It rained every day. Every. Day. The beach water in front of the Marriott was literally brown, brown like Virginia Beach brown. I was not impressed. It didn't look anything like the pictures I had seen when doing research of PV. Also the people selling items on the beach get to be a little much. You are literally saying "No thank you" every 10 minutes. I get it, but it affects the relaxation factor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Bridget D
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, Director General at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Bridget,

I am sincerely pleased to know that you found our service and hotel beyond the expectations that you had and to know that we were able to help you have a wonderful vacation in Puerto Vallarta. I will make sure to complement the staff for the excellent service they provided.

I am sorry to hear that during your time here you did not have the best weather as it was rainy season like you correctly appointed; however I truly hope that you had the opportunity to be amazed by the beautiful green color that the Sierra Madre Mountains have due to the rain and that give to Puerto Vallarta a unique landscape.

I would love to know that you will be coming back to our property very soon, the staff and I will be happy to host you once more.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Situated just south of the airport this location is perfect to enjoy the entire area from Punta Mita to the boardwalk downtown. Hotel is a little older but well maintained. We had the Ambassador suite and if the views get any better I would be amazed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for the kind recommendation you are given for our hotel through TripAdvisor; it pleases me a lot to know that you truly enjoyed your stay while visiting Punta Mita and Downtown area.

It is great that you had stayed in our Ambassador suite, this is one of the favorite suites of our guests for the private terrace with Jacuzzi, a perfect place to watch one of Puerto Vallarta’s beautiful sunsets.

I look forward to hearing about you coming back.

Los Gatos, California
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Just spent a week here on vacation. When we arrived the ducks in the pond had just had babies - 20 of them!, which needless to say were a big hit with the tourists. Marriott management then decided it would be a good time to clean out the pond, and threw in a bunch of chlorine. 3 days later all the babies were dead. We watched them dying one by one. We compalined to management who said they wanted to make the water in the pond "pretty blue". The lobby is fully of posters claiming how this hotel is environmentally friendly and helps rescue sea turtles. In my view it's disgraceful that they don't use animal safe non-toxic chemicals around this property and any others which carry the Marriott name. My wife and I are long term platinum members with 1200+ lifetime nights between us and animal lovers so this pretty much ruined our vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Steven P
MarriottCasaMagnaPVR, General Manager at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Steven,

I am sincerely sorry about the unfortunate experience you had during your vacation in our hotel.

Please be sure we are currently going into further investigation to know why the ducks were affected as we have confirmed that the chlorine was not the problem as it is something we are very careful about, precisely because of the fauna we know comes to our ponds.

As you correctly appointed we are a hotel with an important environmental philosophy and with a true concern about the planet as for us it is as important as taking great care of our guests; this is why programs like the Sea Turtle Protection Program, where we protect the turtle nests and the baby turtles, or like the beach cleaning activities or even participate in the Earth Hour every year are main activities for us that we always make sure to carry through along the year.

Thank you once more for your comments and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you again.

Lenexa, Kansas
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Our first day of arrival at the Casa Magna Marriott Puerto Vallarta was so welcoming. In particular, after we settled into our room, our whole family went to the beachside restaurant on the property. We had ceviche along with fish tacos that were outstanding. We also had cold Pacfica beers that hit the spot. Our waiter, Efren, was especially friendly and helpful at our table. He helped us with our Spanish and made a great reccomendation on his favorite tequila, Don Julio. He even gave us a sample to try. We even met him later that evening when we were on our way to the Marina and helped us with directions. Efren made our first few hours extremely fun and enjoyable. Try to seek him out when you are there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brent W
Dear Brent,

What a great feeling we have when we get to read reviews like yours that are an excellent example of the service provided by our amazing staff.

I am very pleased that Efrain was such a great help on your first day here and I will make sure to pass your message to him, he will be absolutely thrilled to know about it.

The staff and I hope to have you as guests once more very soon for another fun and enjoyable stay.

Orangevale, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The entire staff was very helpful and knowledgeable and the rooms very clean. The restaurants are very reasonable and the food is great. Try the Lobster Taco at the outside restaurant, it is delicious. It is just a short walk to the Harbor which has several restaurants and a Starbucks.

Room Tip: The Ocean View rooms are very scenic especially on the top floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lorenzo99x
Dear Lorenzo,

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that you had the opportunity to visit the Marina Vallarta harbor, it is indeed a very nice place to take a walk in the afternoon and just a few steps from the hotel.

Thank you as well for your kind comment about the Lobster Tacos at Las Casitas restaurant, I am glad you liked it as it is one of our specialties.

I hope to see you coming back very soon again and for your next visit I want to recommend you to try our brand new Catch of the Day activity where every Friday and Saturday a fisherman arrives to the beach in front of the Activity Center with a variety of fish and seafood from which you can choose and we will happily cook it for dinner.