We stayed at the Barcelo from April 28th - May 3rd and had a great time (minus the unwanted souvenir of sand flea bites). The resort is beautiful in a secluded location outside of town. The staff is very friendly and always smiling. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The food was really good at the restaurants and buffet. The bar selection was of premium quality. One point to note is the number of restaurant reservations you can make is based on your nights stay. We stayed 5 nights and were allowed 2 restaurant reservations.
Our family had a great time at this resort, however, I wish we stayed off the beach! The first morning we arrived, we took our son to the beach to play in the sand. An hour later, we were covered in red swollen bumps. The resort has bug spray for mosquitoes available, however, we didn't see a single mosquito. There was NO mention of the infestation of sand fleas on the beach. After speaking to some staff, we learned the sand fleas are mostly out in the morning and evening, however, we pretty much avoided the beach all together after this instance. One week later after our initial bites, we are still covered in swollen itchy bumps. This is not a nice memory after a great experience.
Additionally, we ran into an issue with a very rude front desk manager (I think his name was Valencia). Check out is at noon and our pick up wasn't until 2pm. When I asked for an extended check out, I was told no and then he proceeded to try to charge me 420$ per person to keep our wristbands for the extra 2 hours!!! In all the all inclusives I have stayed at in the past, it has always been a courtesy to keep your wristband after check out if you have a late check out. I understand not being able to accommodate a late check out request, however, the manager was completely disrespectful in the manner in which he handled the situation and I had to fight to keep our wristbands without a fee (by threatening to have a screaming baby in the lobby for the 2 hours instead since we would have no where else to go). Very disappointed with the end service!
All in all, it was a great vacation and we enjoy the luxury Barcelo resorts have to offer. If they took care of the sand fleas (or advised resort guests accordingly) and fire the front end manager, I would give it 5 stars! Enjoy your holiday as it flies by!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Barcelo, Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya