We've stayed at the Barcelo before and my parents stay there usually once a year. This year it was incredibly busy at the resort, and there are some declines compared to our previous experience. My parents have been there 6 times, but probably won't be back. We probably won't either, but more of that is because there's a lot more of Mexico to see. Here's my critiques from this trip (but it's still a very good resort).
1. It's very hard to get iced tea (te helado) anywhere but the buffet restaurant, and it's even hard to get it there. I'm not a big Coke drinker, but the weather does make you thirsty, and only the best/most helpful pool service will take the extra step to go find the iced tea.
2. Pool service was spotty. That being said, the pool service is probably the best I've seen in Mexico, but some of the servers were either extremely slow, or just forgot your order. We tip well (usually $1-2 per round), and that seemed to help...sometimes.
3. They glassed in the buffet restaurant. I can understand sanitary/pest issues, but the open are dining was part of the charm. The buffet restaurant is now really loud.
4. Housekeeping was really unpredictable. Sometimes they'd come at 8 am, sometimes at 430 pm. I didn't see any rhyme or reason why the times were so far from predictable. Not a huge issue, but weird.
5. Leaving a key in the door socket for the electrics. Just weird, and housekeeping would come by and take the card out...which is really annoying if you are charging any electronics in the room (e-cig, phone, camera, tablet, ereader, etc). We had to keep checking on the room, and because housekeeping was unpredictable for when they would come by, there was like a two hour cycle that one of us would go back to the room to check.
6. Music choices. There was about two hours in the morning between 11 and 1 where the music was okay...usually muzack or latin jazz. But then from 1 to 5 they put on really annoying pop and house music. Just grating eventually because they didn't change it from day to day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Barceló Puerto Vallarta***** (formerly Barceló La Jolla de Mismaloya) in Puerto Vallarta, is an elegant, all-inclusive Mexican-style resort. It offers 316 completely renovated and comfortable suites with excellent service, leisure, history, beautiful scenery, exuberant flora and privacy.Relax after a hard day’s work in the hotel spa, catch some rays at one of the hotel pools or take time out to practice your favourite water sport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Barcelo, Travel Republic (UK), Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Barcelo Puerto Vallarta reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Jolla Mismaloya
- Barcelo La Jolla De Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- La Jolla Puerto Vallarta
- Puerto Vallarta La Jolla De Mismaloya
- Barcelo De Mismaloya
- Barcelo Mismaloya Puerto Vallarta
- Barcelo La Jolla Mismaloya