“While sitting on the beach on a glorious day!”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #34 of 121 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Our experience at the Barcelo is only half done but I have to wonder if there are two of them since our experience from the moment of arrival has been lovely! Sparkling clean room...the marble floor actually squeaks it is so clean. Friendly staff, attentive service and wifi which we only wanted briefly to connect with home was $15...fine by us. We didn't come here to be connected to the outside world. We are so appreciative of the people here who are working hard so that we can enjoy a wonderful vacation. Thank you!

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank WendyLea
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 8th, 2014.

We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

We hope you still have a great time with us until the end of your holidays and thank you again for your kind preference.

Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Write a ReviewReviews (4,694)

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We started our vacation not getting two beds in our room as requested. Then come to find out they offer wifi for 20$ per day per device!!! No one explained to us how our room worked or where things were. Our first room was dirty and waited an hour to recieve our luggage. We went down to the desk and retrieved our luggage and requested a new room. Our second room was clean but still only one bed. They told me to check back at 9 am the next morning. The next morning I checked in at 9 and they told me to come back at 1030, then again at 1230 and finally at 130 we recieved our room with two beds.

Upon check in we were unable to get a reservation at any of the three resturants which caused us to eat all meals in the buffet. The food in the buffet was cold most of the time and not great quality.You are not able to get bottled water in the buffet either.

The pool was rediculously busy all the time. Kids everywhere taking over the pool and all areas around it. They took up all the seats at the swim up bar so getting a drink was challenging. All the pools were like bath water. Too warm and not refreshing. There were dirty glasses all around the pool and lounges which was not nice to look at. It is impossible to get a lounge with an umbrella. They have towls reserving them 24/7. we tried to request one but the got us no where. One day i wanted to cover my legs and asked for another pool towel and they refused. Only one towel per guest. Well i would not need another towel if we could find a chair under an umbrella.
If you wanted to buy something at one of the resorts shops you had to charge it to your room. no cash or credit cards accepted.

Room Tip: if you want relaxation, quality food , beautiful surroundings do not stay here
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank heidisue

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on May 7th, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. Let me start by offering a sincere apology for all the non-intentional inconveniences you had during your stay, it is very frustrating for us to know we didn’t reached your expectations about us.

As you may know, our main goal is to exceed the expectations of all out guest, and now we regret your feelings about the services you received; I assure you we will take action on the matter immediately as your comments undoubtedly help us to improve and work hard to provide a better service to our guests.

However it is important to mention that we have trying to find reports of what you experienced during your stay just to confirm where we fail, and we couldn't find anything; this would have been very important, as all the details you mention had an immediately solution, if you have told us at the time.

Although I really appreciate your confidence to share your experience with us because like I said before help us to improve and amend our mistakes; I invite you to give us a second opportunity to prove you the high service Barceló Puerto Vallarta is accustomed to provide.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is our 3rd stay at Barceló .We return again,as it is in the most beautiful location on the edge of the jungle ,with the river and the beach in front.The rooms are spacious as are the bathrooms.
The service can be excellent with a few exceptions.The hotel is very clean.The gardens and landscaping is superb.The pools are beautiful ,need more umbrellas as it was difficult to find one if you don't go very early.
We are an older couple so the loud music and the shrieking voices from the pool late at night were bad.
The wonderful concierge Vanessa ,was really kind and worked hard to find us a room away from the noise ,which she did.Thank You Vanessa!!!!!!!You are a great assett to Barceló.I also left my swimsuit in my old room ,called Vanessa ,she had housekeeping search & find it.
The food in the Cafeteria is very good.There is something new every day & always fresh.Also the restaurant Capri was very good.
This hotel is wonderful value for money all inclusive of food and drink.
My son & Daughter in law were there on our recommendation in October 2013,they loved it too.
Definatly will recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 6th, 2014.

We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta again as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers..

Receive warm regards from Vanessa who is very happy too for have made a wonderful memory for all of you of the hotel; we work in every single detail to make your stay the best.

We hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We've stayed at the Barcelo before and my parents stay there usually once a year. This year it was incredibly busy at the resort, and there are some declines compared to our previous experience. My parents have been there 6 times, but probably won't be back. We probably won't either, but more of that is because there's a lot more of Mexico to see. Here's my critiques from this trip (but it's still a very good resort).
1. It's very hard to get iced tea (te helado) anywhere but the buffet restaurant, and it's even hard to get it there. I'm not a big Coke drinker, but the weather does make you thirsty, and only the best/most helpful pool service will take the extra step to go find the iced tea.
2. Pool service was spotty. That being said, the pool service is probably the best I've seen in Mexico, but some of the servers were either extremely slow, or just forgot your order. We tip well (usually $1-2 per round), and that seemed to help...sometimes.
3. They glassed in the buffet restaurant. I can understand sanitary/pest issues, but the open are dining was part of the charm. The buffet restaurant is now really loud.
4. Housekeeping was really unpredictable. Sometimes they'd come at 8 am, sometimes at 430 pm. I didn't see any rhyme or reason why the times were so far from predictable. Not a huge issue, but weird.
5. Leaving a key in the door socket for the electrics. Just weird, and housekeeping would come by and take the card out...which is really annoying if you are charging any electronics in the room (e-cig, phone, camera, tablet, ereader, etc). We had to keep checking on the room, and because housekeeping was unpredictable for when they would come by, there was like a two hour cycle that one of us would go back to the room to check.
6. Music choices. There was about two hours in the morning between 11 and 1 where the music was okay...usually muzack or latin jazz. But then from 1 to 5 they put on really annoying pop and house music. Just grating eventually because they didn't change it from day to day.

Room Tip: Tower 2 is quieter because there is local nightlife on the river by tower 1 that can be pretty loud...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 5th, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

We will take action on the matter of every single point you mention immediately because your comments undoubtedly help us to improve and make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo from April 28th - May 3rd and had a great time (minus the unwanted souvenir of sand flea bites). The resort is beautiful in a secluded location outside of town. The staff is very friendly and always smiling. The rooms were spacious and well appointed. The food was really good at the restaurants and buffet. The bar selection was of premium quality. One point to note is the number of restaurant reservations you can make is based on your nights stay. We stayed 5 nights and were allowed 2 restaurant reservations.

Our family had a great time at this resort, however, I wish we stayed off the beach! The first morning we arrived, we took our son to the beach to play in the sand. An hour later, we were covered in red swollen bumps. The resort has bug spray for mosquitoes available, however, we didn't see a single mosquito. There was NO mention of the infestation of sand fleas on the beach. After speaking to some staff, we learned the sand fleas are mostly out in the morning and evening, however, we pretty much avoided the beach all together after this instance. One week later after our initial bites, we are still covered in swollen itchy bumps. This is not a nice memory after a great experience.

Additionally, we ran into an issue with a very rude front desk manager (I think his name was Valencia). Check out is at noon and our pick up wasn't until 2pm. When I asked for an extended check out, I was told no and then he proceeded to try to charge me 420$ per person to keep our wristbands for the extra 2 hours!!! In all the all inclusives I have stayed at in the past, it has always been a courtesy to keep your wristband after check out if you have a late check out. I understand not being able to accommodate a late check out request, however, the manager was completely disrespectful in the manner in which he handled the situation and I had to fight to keep our wristbands without a fee (by threatening to have a screaming baby in the lobby for the 2 hours instead since we would have no where else to go). Very disappointed with the end service!

All in all, it was a great vacation and we enjoy the luxury Barcelo resorts have to offer. If they took care of the sand fleas (or advised resort guests accordingly) and fire the front end manager, I would give it 5 stars! Enjoy your holiday as it flies by!

Room Tip: We stayed in building one which is closer to the night activities and music, so could be loud for so...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank EPoulos
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Our main goal is to give to our entire guest the service which we built our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have.

We regret you were prey to mosquitoes as everybody here at the resort, this is nature, and trying to avoid this hassle we provide free repellent at the pool area for all our guests, but we most regret your feelings about the service you received from our Front Desk Manager; however I assure to you we will take action on the matter immediately, because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

I would like to remember you that in Barceló Puerto Vallarta we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Puerto Vallarta and Barceló.

Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the barcelo in March for a week.
Pros
The resort grounds are well kept, rooms surprisingly very nice spacious and clean.
Nice location with a "private beach" great if your looking for a relaxing quiet vacation.

Cons

Food was terrible. A lot of people got sick from the resort food.
We recommend venturing off the resort and trying a restaurant called Tony's hideaway near the zoo it is amazing and a defiance must. We ended up there for dinner 3 times in our 1 week stay it was so good.
A little ways away from pv but there is a bus that is easy to take to get to town.
Too quiet. In the evenings the bar closes at 1am and there is really no where to let loose and have fun. Unlike most resorts that have a "disco" all they had was a cantina directly under the rooms so there was no late night partying and it is very small.

All in all it was ok. If your looking for quiet and secluded it's probably the perfect resort for u but being a couple that like quiet days and lively nights it just wasn't for us and we will not be going back to this resort.

• Stayed: March 2014
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on May 3rd, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta the main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want they back home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again.

Your feelings about the quality of the food you mention will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We know that taste is broken into genres, it is a shame we could not accommodate your tastes to enjoy a memorable holiday.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

We do appreciate your comments this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Made the trip to the Hotel Barceló in Puerto Vallarta in Mexico for a wedding for 2 weeks. There was a whole variety of us travelling from different places in the world and a diverse age range also. We all upgraded to the gold bands (VIP) before arriving to get the benefits of restaurant dining every evening and the premium lounge.

The location, rooms and pool areas are second to none. Lovely views and great standards here, especially with the house keeping.

We only really had issues with some of the service. For the first week, the hotel was mainly populated with Canadians and Americans. The service we had then was very good. We were allowed to book big tables at the restaurants without any issues. The quality of the food varied from night to night but still, couldn't complain.

On the commencement of the second week, we noticed a big influx of Mexicans on the resort. No problem with that, only when it came to trying to get a drink or book a table at a restaurant. Alcohol in the drinks suddenly went to basically nothing, even if you were at the bar first then Mexican's had priority, at numerous times I got bored waiting and just went to the premium lounge. On numerous occasions I was left sitting in the a la carte restaurant waiting to be served whilst watching lots of Mexican families sit down and receive instant service. The food in here however was very good for a quick bite to eat.

Also at the start of the 2nd week, we were also told we couldn't book in the restaurants anymore. As we had paid to go in them every night, we were a little put out by this, and only after speaking to numerous managers etc we were told we actually could book tables. Just no tables over 6 people. So, as there were many of us in our group, we decided to book different tables of 6. This wasn't an option either until we complained about it. On arriving at different restaurants, we were told at numerous times that we had missed our booking, despite having a ticket that proved otherwise. We were also booked into restaurants that were actually closed. After numerous more arguments, we often managed to get into these restaurants, only to see other groups with tables of 20+ which we were told we were 100% not allowed to do. We often sent food back also as at numerous times we were sent the wrong meals. Not a major issue though and we generally got what we asked for if we asked to change.

This review may sound overly bad, but apart from the service at times, we had a great holiday here. The facilities were great and if we found the right people, then the service was very good. Just be prepared to argue at times for what you're entitled to. We didn't let it spoil our holiday. Would like to give it a 3.5/5, however not an option so gone with 'Very Good'. If service was better it would be 5/5 all day every day.

Room Tip: Higher the floor, better the room. Upgrading does get you a better room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 2nd, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers..

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and in Barceló we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Puerto Vallarta and Barceló.