“Food poisoning from room service... cost.. $30...”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
“Food poisoning from room service... cost.. $30...”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Ordered room service the last night and we both got sick for about 6 hours straight while the front desk and cleaners bugged us to check out.... They actually tried charging us for the late check-out. And the food that made us sick...
The buffet was fine and the shacks on the beach had amazing authentic mexican food.. Also there is a restaurant called "Ramada Miramar" located along the river behind the hotel. These places are not included but you will only need about $15 for 2 people to eat and drink. The prices do not reflect food quality. Some of the best prawns I have ever had. I would go back tomorrow but would highly recommend avoiding the food they make you pay for at the resort.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JD L
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on May 31st, 2013.

First than all I would like to thank you for your kind preference at Barceló Puerto Vallarta. We know that taste is broken into genres, it is a shame we could not accommodate your tastes to enjoy a memorable holiday.

We are very concerned for your comments because we haven’t had any case of illness at the resort, we regret you feelings about the food from room service, we are going to take matter immediately to the process of the food to avoid this type of situations again.

Barceló Puerto Vallarta is a world-class brand that is always on the lookout to improve and maintain the quality standards that characterized us.

I thank you again for your preference.

Barceló Puerto Vallarta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Dallas
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed across the street (ghetto) and had no idea where we were really staying (literally after we left we took a cab ACROSS the street because were were told it wasn't safe).

Barcelo was our saving grace - did a night pass for about $45 US (can't remember the pesos). I am SURE we drank that in all the shots we did and we ate too. We probably could of ate more but we ended up meeting some people in the pool and partying.

We were the only white people. I would say why would anyone want to stay this far south of PVR - it is FAR, unless you don't leave the resort and you are also close to El Eden which is neat (we did that too).

Thank you Bacelo for saving the day. Any questions, Ronda_Young@hotmail.com

Nice resort!!

1 Thank Ronda M
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 30th, 2014.

We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your scape to a welcoming, nice and fun night before leave Puerto Vallarta, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest and people who come like you for visit and enjoy the day or night with us, the service which we build our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have, because we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Barceló.

We hope you give us the pleasure now of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My family and I recently stayed at the hotel and visited the restaurant. Our waitress Lincy was awesome!! She was so friendly, provided exceptional customer service. She also gave us advice on things to do. The food was outstanding at the restaurant. I highly recommend this restaurant and most definitely ask to sit in Lincy section. She was always smiling, very tentative and makes you feel welcomed and taken care of.

2 Thank Tflores221
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 28th, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home.

We hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again. Receive warm regards from Lincy she was very happy to provide you the excellent service we are used to serve to all our guest.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo in the first week of April 2014. There were 4 adults, and the resort was absolutely wonderful! It was clean, beautiful, and we were nicely surprised at the room! It looked better than the pictures on the website. The food was good (could have been a bit better, but no real complaints there), and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Definitely would recommend to anyone wanting a relaxing vacation in Puerto Vallarta.

Room Tip: All the rooms look out to the pools and beach - a wonderful setup!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Breelyn C
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 22nd, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I'd like to say that I consider myself more of a mid-level traveler. I'm not someone that stays at the finest hotels but not motels or hostels either... ...more like a marriott or hilton. The last 3 of 4 years we have traveled to Honolulu for our anniversary. I'm mentioning this to give you my accommodations comparison. For the same price we got to have a 600+ versus 300 square foot room with all food and and alcohol included so it seemed like a good idea....probably not.

The hotel is showing its age a bit but I'd say they've done a decent job on addressing the repairs. The room as mentioned above is huge with a living room, gigantic bathroom, bedroom, and balcony. No microwave but refrigerator that is stocked with water, beer, juice, and soda (awesome!!!)

Service: The housekeeper came in and noticed that out balcony door stuck a bit and had maintenance come adjust it. I Humberto was our bellman and was the most personable person we encountered. He talked to us about the culture and gave us tips on how to make our trip more enjoyable even making a small adjustment to our closet when the automatic light didn't shut off. I like it when people go the extra mile and they (including Adelina mentioned below) were the only individuals I'd say tried to do so. Everyone else was just adequate. Bartenders....poured drinks....servers delivered and removed plates nothing excellent or terrible to say as they just did what was expected.

Food:The food was pretty good. It is what you'd expect from a buffet.The 2 evenings we dined in the restaurants were an improvement but the menu's are a bit limited. My only complaint is regarding desserts......they were never good :( I have a big sweet tooth. The drinks were decent and they had a variety of brands so able to make delicious specialty drinks. It would be great if they were more friendly offering ideas for drinks. They have drinks of the day but my favorite drinks were the dirty monkey and bob marley both discovered as a result of me seeing someone else having them.

Tip: The outside snack shack will have buffet items but you can also request other items like, hot dogs, hamburgers, club sandwiches, and nachos.

Tip: internet is $150 pesos per day but if you want it for a longer time purchase multiple days upfront as they give a discount.

The gym appears small but is surprisingly well appointed. It has everything you need to have a full workout!!!

Location: The fact that this is beachfront hotel was very appealing and probably our main reason for selecting this hotel but this is not the kind of beach I'd think of when I think of laying on the beach. (Remember Hawaii is my reference) They is a very strong fishy smell. The sand was hard and made me itch. The hotel is FAR from anything else so expect to pay about $150 pesos or more to get anywhere.` Adelina is in charge of reservations for dinner and excursions and I'd suggest you book a couple! I say this because as mentioned the hotel isn't that lively and and maybe you'd meet other people to party with or at the very least get a change of scenery.

All in all the hotel is a great value but wasn't my cup of tea because I'm not sure this hotel is geared toured tourists. This is a very family driven hotel with many small children around. If you are really just wanting to relax that is difficult because 90% (if not more) of the guests seemed to be from Mexico taking a long weekend to get away with young children. I'm not saying this to be negative as I love immersing myself into other cultures but if you are of a younger at heart or in age and looking for a lively environment or wanting pure peace and serenity then this is probably not the hotel for you. We are 35 and 48 so not young by any means but did not feel entertained at all.

If you have any specific questions feel free to inbox me here and I'd be happy to answer.

1 Thank Lonlo
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on May 21st, 2014. We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to our entire guest the service which we built our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have.

Your feelings about desserts will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day as the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are very high.

Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the first time my family and I (12 of us and an infant) went on a vacation outside of driving to one in our hometown in BC. We were unbelievable excited to go to Mexico for the first time. One thing I must say, Is I am at complete FAULT for not looking at the review here on trip advisor. It would have saved us SOOO much horrible hassle during our vacation. Let me be totally honest with you. I promise I am in no way being judgemental or over reacting to the treatment we got.

1) FRONT DESK: the people at the front desk are the most rude people I have ever met. There is no service satisfaction to them. By the second day, I and my brother in law had 10$ and 20$ stolen from us by them giving us a price of something that it really wasn't. How do we know this? Because when a mexican guest went up to the front desk they were treated like royalty and were paying less for everything. They want money for everything. Wifi, room service. If you go snorkeling and lose your wrist band you have to pay $100 no matter what and no refund if you find it. They do not care if you are unhappy with the service they provide.

2) THE STORE: Everything is 5 times more of original cost. Pack lots of sunscreen and aloe vera, unless you want to buy $38 aloe vera and 50$ sunscreen. Make sure you get pesos. American dollars are competely useless here. 50% of the guests are mexican and therefore I believe it is a cultural hotel and less of a resort.

3) THE FOOD: We stayed a week so we got to eat at the three restaurants they offer but you have to reserve. And only 3 nights. Food was decent. But not a lot of selection.

4) THE ROOMS: we did not get what we wanted. We asked for 5 bedrooms with King beds, and only one of the bedrooms actually got that. It was always clean for the most part but not fun. Even if you tip big they don't fill your fridge well, you have to ask for water bottles, and they don't do any fun towel decors like the other places. Otherwise they are super spacious rooms and pretty nice.

5) CHECK OUT: They told us that after we checked out we can use the facilities until our shuttle came to take us to the airport because we checked out at 12 and were getting picked up at 3pm. The day we checked out, they completely took back what they said and said we had to pay to eat lunch at the buffet, and couldn't use the pool grounds. We all were changed to continue enjoying the sun. We just got up and left the hotel after that. Thank goodness for our shuttle service who took the extra time to pick us up 3 hours earlier than planned.

6) The one and only BEST THING is the gorgeous area. It is like driving to the country of peurto vallerta. Super gorgeous, and private beach secluded from all resorts. 35 minute drive from airport.

Recommendation: For the price: get something better and funner, something stress free that pride in their customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Krisztina K
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on May 18th, 2013.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay in Barceló Puerto Vallarta.

Your feelings about the services you receive and mention will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We do appreciate your comments this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We booked our reservation from May 8-11, 2014. We arrived around 1:30 AM on Thursday morning and were very rudely and insultingly told by the overnight front desk manager (Julio Cisneros) that we were not going to be checked into our room until 3:00 PM even though our reservation was for 3/8. This was very irritating as we (like everyone else) had made a long trip to enjoy a relaxing vacation, but he firmly gave our get-away a less-than-favorable experience. Julio made it very clear that this was our mistake or the reservation company's, and that we would have to call the agent at another time or after we check in, because "only guests can use the phone or internet." So, we ended up having to spend an additional $200 US on our first night on a room. To make the situation even more frustrating, Julio wouldn't try to accommodate us with a lesser rate since we would only be in the room for 8 hours before being we were supposed " to be moved to the room that we originally booked" the next morning. So, without an option, we paid the $200 USD and went to our room. ( He did offer us room service for the evening, but that doesn't make it worth the $200 USD or make up for the way we were treated.) We made our way to our room to find potato chips on the floor and a dirty toilet area. Additionally, we were given a room with two double beds when we had asked for a king bed. The air conditioner didn't blow cold air, we didn't have a remote control, and the ceiling fan barely worked. Take all of those things away- and you have a nicely appointed room with clean linens, nice marble floors, and dark wood accents. The balconies are nice and spacious as well.

We ate our sandwiches and tried to get some rest in our over-heated room. The next morning, we went down tot he front desk to see about switching our rooms to the room that we had originally paid for. We were told by the daytime front desk manager (Ernesto Gonzalez) that we wouldn't need to switch rooms because this was the room that we originally paid for. We had to g back and forth with him for about 10 minutes in order to make it FIRMLY CLEAR that we wanted a room with a king size bed and not two full size beds! Ernesto also made it clear to us that we would not be allowed to make reservations in their restaurants for more than one night because we "had two separate reservations due to having booked our original reservation, and also having to pay for the individual night." He also stated "restaurant reservations are dependent on the length of the reservation." (Basically, even though we would be staying a total of four nights he wasn't going to allow us to make more than one dinner reservation.) If it hadn't been for us having to guilt trip the excursion reservation ladies into giving us another dinner reservation- it would've been the buffet every night.

We finally got moved to our new room and ended up in a family room with a second bedroom with two full beds, but we were happy to have a KING BED FINALLY! The air conditioner had the same problem, but we called maintenance to fix it. Interestingly enough, he just had to turn a dial in the ceiling to increase the velocity of the air flow. That helped a lot! Our second room was an improvement, but still wasn't what we thought we paid for.

In terms of the restaurants- the buffet service was great, and the food wasn't all bad. We had omelets and fruit each day, so you can really mess those up. As for lunch- the snack bar near the pool was always good food, and the drinks were always great. We didn't have issues getting drinks and we were pleased that we drank El Jimador and Hornitos during our stay. (Hopefully thats what it was) Either way, the drinks were good and always strong, so we really enjoyed that part.

We were disappointed to find out that it was going to cost us so much for wi-fi access. We ended up opting-out of the wi-fi. Also, when we asked to make a call to a local business to book a scuba excursion, they wanted to charge us just to connect us to a local number. Thy definitely want to make sure that you book any excursions through their resort so they get a piece of the pie.

BASICALLY- ANYTHING BESIDES YOUR ROOM and THE FOOD/BEVERAGES WILL COST YOU ADDITIONAL.

We met three other groups of people, 2 of which had returned to this resort for their 2nd and 3rd time, that made it clear that they will not be returning to this resort due to similar issues. They stated having issues getting the room that they paid for and also having to move 2-3 times in order to get a satisfying room with quality air conditioning and that they were told they had paid for.

Overall, if you want a decent deal, and aren't afraid to sacrifice some of the service, then you'll be fine. The hotel is nice, very clean in the common areas, and the wait staff are all excellent. The food at the restaurants isn't all that bad and the drinks are great.

OUR MAIN ISSUE WAS THE UN-WELCOMING AND RUDE FRONT DESK STAFF. (See their names above)

Room Tip: Make sure that you are very clear as to what room you have booked and paid for before you arrive. Al...
5 Thank ChristopherT1987
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on May 12th, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay.

We regret your feelings about the service you received from our Front Desk staff; it is a shame to read this due our aim is to provide the best service to all our customers, however I assure you this issues will be corrected immediately and the people involved will receive the corresponding punishment because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#37 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
#12 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclus...
#47 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
#61 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!