“lost a smartphone at the buffet restaurant”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Palo Alto, California
“lost a smartphone at the buffet restaurant”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

It was gone so fast. Went into the buffet restaurant at 8pm and left 9pm. Realized missing phone. Went back to ask at 9:10pm. No luck. Called the phone and it went straight to voicemail, which meant someone turned off the phone.

Food and drink were reasonable. Room was good. Room service kept forgetting to give us enough stuff like qtips and mouthwash, calling housing keeping didn't help - small thing but annoying.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Redding, California, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We are headed back to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta for our fourth trip in September. I have never been to a resort as great as this place. The service is absolutely impeccable! Everyone here wants you to have a good time! The food is pretty good, and there is blow your mind cuisine just a short walk to town. The rooms are gorgeous, and the setting couldn't be more lovely. I have gone with one person, pretty fair, who had some bug bites on her legs. I guessing sand fleas. They were a mild inconvenience, but I would suggest anyone on the fair side giving their legs a spray before heading down to the beach. I used an herbal bug spray and didn't have a bite. The excursions are awesome, but I think this time the only one we will hit again is Yelapa. Super cool!! Other than that we have found a lot of fun things to do independently. We love, love, love this place. I would highly recommend it. The only disclaimer I would give is: Please leave your bad attitude at home. I really believe that the reason we are treated so well is because we are ready to have a good time. We really like the folks that work there, and that rubs off. They like us too. I think you only get what you expect. If you show up ready to have a good time, and be courteous and excited, you will!!!

Room Tip: Club Premium is well worth it!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Lee G
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From 11:00 am to 6:30 just one small restaurant is available with very limited choice. I waited for 30 min I did not get anything no food or water. If you are OK to eat twice a day you are welcome to barccelo Puerto vallarta

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank beipervim
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband I tried to book our wedding here, but the wedding coordinator double booked our date. Then we had to cancel our wedding and instead tried to put the money towards our vacation. We booked through the website for hotel and airfare, only to have the wedding representative say that she couldn't find our reservation to credit us the money but when I contacted the hotel, they could. I then went online and cancelled the booking we had because we were advised to from the hotel rep. Three days later, still no refund, so I called the hotel. They inform me that you have to ask for a refund, you can't just cancel, and oh by the way you are out the money spent on airfare as well as a $50 charge per person for cancelling. The wedding coordinator was nothing but shady and rude. We are just a couple trying to have a vacation, and instead $2000 is now down the drain because of these people. Please do not book here. Go anywhere else in Puerto Vallarta, just not this place. It's a nightmare and hopefully this can save your money from being taken.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Megan P
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We couldn't have asked for a better hotel in Puerto Vallarta. This hotel was very well kept, the staff was friendly and felt very safe. I liked that this hotel was a little further out from the airport so it felt a little less crowded. The pools are beautiful, I loved that the ocean was right there, and the dining areas were fantastic. I dont think I have ever been to an all-inclusive with really delicious food but I REALLY liked their food. I went to this hotel with my boyfriend and had the peace and quiet that we came for although I felt like it is a good hotel for families, groups of friends, solo trips or with your significant other. There are a lot of activities for everybody to do. I would absolutely visit another Barcelo resort and even come back to this one in Puerto Vallarta!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kali K
Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My group of friends and I (total of 13 of us) recently stayed here and everything was amazing! The rooms were spacious(we were in a suite), clean, and we had the most beautiful view of the ocean. All of the employees were super nice and helpful. Our drinks were never empty while lounging at the pool! :) pool was beautiful, clean, and kid friendly. We had dinner reservations for all 3 restaurants and the best one was Capri's!!! They have this delicious stuffed cheese bread! Overall, my vacation was great! Definitely coming back here.

Some minor bad comments: buffet food could use some improvement and variety. Got tired of the same food (luckily you won't ever be hungry while staying here because there's food service around the clock).Some how we got all bit by mosquitoes and never saw it coming. One of the workers at the pool saw my friends leg with bites all over and warned us about it and directed us to spray bug repellent they had for guests. The music at the pool was primarily in spanish, so maybe some in English that would be great!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Cam B
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The resort was small but beautiful, especially set at the foot of the mountains overlooking the water. Big, clean rooms; nice pool, good food. the spanish place was definitely the best. the pool was nice too.

Be sure to walk to the left of the resort by the ruins of the Night of the Iguana. Also worth the 15 minute walk to the zoo. very easy and cheap to get into downtown Puerto Vallarta via cab or bus. Once we explored downtown I thought we should have just stayed here. It is very safe and cool, and not like other parts of Mexico where you want the security of a resort. Also totally worth taking a boat out from the hotel to see some of the spots like Los Arcos and the little village of Yelapa. If you're lucky like we were you'll see humpback whales while you're out there.

Here are my cautions:
Barcelo Caution #1 - invisible bugs. I dont know where they were the most, but the ate me and it looked like many people alive. Most people there ended up looking like they had chicken pox on their legs. I think maybe they were sand bugs on the beach but I think I got more bites even the days we didnt do the beach, and I dont think I ever saw a single one. Bring bug spray, but know even that wont 100% protect you. This could be a thing for the whole area not just this hotel, I dont know. Just bring bug spray, and something to soothe the inevitable bites you'll still get.
Barcelo Caution #2 - dog whistle. I guess I am one of the small percentage of the population who can hear a dog whistle, a CURSE at this hotel. I dont know if they use it to keep the birds or dogs away. But I could hear it going constantly all day every day by the pool and beach. It was horrible. If you are someone who hears dog whistles stay somewhere else unless you want you ears to ring for the next week. This really stunk since normally we could have laid in the sun with cocktails for many hours. I couldnt do more than an hour with that whistle.
Barcelo Caution #3 - really loud music until midnight that I dont think any room is safe from.

Room Tip: the higher the better to get as far away from the noise as possible.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chrissy L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#37 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
#12 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclus...
#47 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
#61 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!