“Second Home at Barcelo!”

Barcelo Puerto Vallarta
Ranked #33 of 124 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
GreenLeadersGold level
Tacoma, WA
“Second Home at Barcelo!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I am very late in my review of the Barceló and my daughter's wedding last October. I could not have imagined a more perfect setting or event. The manager was on site and attended the event assuring that his staff was on-point at every step. The wait staff were so efficient that we often turned around and our beverages had been promptly bussed away. The food from the Don Quixote restaurant and our custom menu was excellent - we had not one complaint and the vegetarian choice was delicious as well. The wedding cake was a Mexican version of a cheesecake that was one I look forward to having when I return to the resort. All details were tended to in prompt time from music to fireworks to food - appetizers to dessert!
We felt so lucky that we discovered the Barceló about three years ago on an impromptu vacation. It has become our at least yearly retreat since then. The rooms are fabulous - very large and comfortable and we enjoy the "extras" of the club premium program. We feel it is worth every bit of the extra cost. The staff at the Barceló become your friends....Humberto & Sr. Diaz have been there each time we have visited. ..welcoming us like family. Everyone is very friendly - from housekeepers to bar staff.
I do agree that if you are sensitive to bug bites you need to bring repellent. This is the edge of the jungle! Regarding other issues that people have...I wouldn't put too much into it. For those who complain that drinks are weak...ask for a double. We have never found this to be the case. The restaurant options provide us with plenty of choices. If you are unable to find something to your liking, I am surprised.
We are making our plans for October to celebrate their first anniversary - Barceló here we come!

Room Tip: All rooms have water views but choose the side opposite the cantina if you are early to bed!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank darbrode

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Forestville
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This was my 3rd stay at this resort. The 2 prior trips were wonderful as 9 of us spent Thanksgiving there. Our 3rd trip was a much different experience!! We were not notified at check in about the plethora of tiny mosquitoes and the area is inundated with them. The hotel does have a small sign at the towel desk with a 10 ounce bottle of bug spray for the whole hotel. The towel area is not close to the beach! The hotel should provide each guest with their special bug spray as over the counter bug sprays do not work at all!! We (9 of us) have over 150 bites between all of us and some bites are the size of tennis balls which is very uncomfortable in hot and humid weather!! If you plan on relaxing with or without children you must understand that loud music occurs all day until midnight. I had a room above the Cantina bar and the pool with the swim up bar and the noise was very unrelaxing! I suggest to not stay in the tower above those areas if you have young children, want to go to bed early, want to take a nap in the afternoon, or need to wake up early for an excursion. Much of the staff is professional, but some need to have a filter! One waiter kept referring to the green juice that my 12 year old nephew enjoyed in the morning as marijuana juice??!! I believe this hotel needs to make some immediate adjustments as my family and I are home now and can finally relax!! I met several people at this Barcelo and each addressed what I mentioned above.

• Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Janeyf35
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 12 September 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on August 13th, 2014.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay because for Barceló Puerto Vallarta.

We know that taste is broken into genres, it is a shame we could not accommodate your tastes to enjoy a memorable holiday in this occasion, due most of our services are liked by the majority of our guests so they let us know in the surveys we carry out in the resort and also by Trip Advisor.

We appreciate the suggestions you gave us, those are very important for us to improve and provide a better service in the future for you.

We trust to have you here again and give us the opportunity to show the true service of Barceló Puerto Vallarta with which we are building our reputation.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We got "premium" which means we spent a great deal of money. Nothing special really, make sure you bring pants as you are not allowed in the restaurants without them. They fail to mention this on their site, how is that possible? I had to argue with the manager so we could have a dinner at the Italian place. Ridiculous, post things on your website. All it said was "casual" to me casual is nice shorts and a nice top. Internet is shotty, touch and go. Pool is loud and unrelaxing, loud annoying music, people screaming. People smoking in the pool, drinking in the pool with kids all over the place. Shame on Barcelo for allowing them to drink the pool where kids can swim. Staff was unfriendly, unhelpful and rude. Food is okay, nothing fantastic. Drinks are watered down. A ride into town is about 25.00 dollars, which we were fine with as we did not want to be in the city. I would not stay here again due to the staff being rude, unhelpful and lacking knowledge. Would like better if more relaxing. We were hounded on the beach by everyone, the hotel has a rope up that they can't cross, but they still hound you and it is very annoying.

Room Tip: We got room 1420 and it was really nice, but loud and could not relax.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Speezye
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on August 7th, 2013.

We appreciate the valuable time you are taking to share with us your comments. I take this opportunity to send you a sincere apology to not have met your expectations during your stay at Barceló Puerto Vallarta.

I would like to tell you that our Buffets are liked by the majority of our guests so they let us know in the surveys we carry out in the resort and also by Trip Advisor. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our cuisine in spite of the variety of meals offered in our Buffet Restaurant.

Your feelings about the service you receive will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We do appreciate your comments this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers and once again we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Brawley
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The property is beautiful. Two of the three specialty restaurants were excellent. The third not so much. Wish there were more activities during the day. The entertainment was not what I expected. The staff was exceptional. I got hurt during my stay and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were expecting a living room in our 2 bedroom suite, which we did not get. But the room was clean and spacious so it worked out fine. WiFi was terrible - in and out. Adelina at the tours/dinner reservation desk was great to work with, but the hotel needs consistent material on the tours. We got bits and pieces and they differed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristina L
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on August 6th, 2014.

We thank you very much for your kind comments and also thank you for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home that make us feel very special and motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to our entire guest the service which we built our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have.

We will take matter immediately in regards of your feelings about the entertainment, I assure you next time you give us the pleasure to welcome you again will exceed your expectations, because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

We hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This review was slow in coming...We visited Aug 2013 for one week. Although Aug is the rainy season each day was sunny, hot and quite humid. In the evening it would either rain for a bit or we would be treated to the most amazing thunder and lightening shows.

This property is small in comparison to some others, but that's what we were looking for.

Buffet's were good, with the exception of "Asian" night, that was pretty bad. Breakfast was excellent, lots of fresh fruit, juices and hot dishes. We usually just had a snack at lunch so I can't comment on the lunch buffet.

The Italian restaurant was by far the best of the three. Make sure to book before you arrive to ensure you get the night you want. There is only one open at a time in Aug and they are very small and busy.

Rooms were large and well cleaned each day. Housekeeping will turn off the air after they're done but I got the lobby staff to write me a note in Mexican, cleaning staff speak very little english, asking them to leave the air on. That, plus a small tip each day did the trick.

We went to the zoo about a half hour walk away and though I'm not crazy about zoo's it was okay.

The bus stops right across the street and takes you right into PV for a couple of bucks. We got a van back, there were 5 of us, and it was around $26.00 USD.

Aqua aerobics in the pool was a hoot, as were the on going pool games during the day.

Staff was very friendly and I would definitely visit this resort again.If your looking for lots of action and big entertainment this might not be the place for you. If however you looking for a smaller, clean and friendly resort this could be it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sherri-F
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on August 5th, 2014.

We thank you very much for choosing Barceló Puerto Vallarta as your home far away from home. I would like to thank you also for your kind sincerity about your experience with us, this motivate us to continue improving to leave a positive mark on each and every one of our customers.

Our main goal is to give to all our guest the service which we build our reputation and return home with the desire to visit us again and recommend us to their friends and family, this is the best promotion and marketing program that we can have, because we work with feelings, sensations, experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Barceló.

Thank you for your openness and we hope you give us the pleasure of choosing us again as your host to offer new and amazing experiences again.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The hotel is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy some time away. The food is pretty good for an all-inclusive hotel and the reservations Spanish restaurant even better but your allowances to go there are limited.
The only complaints I have with the hotel include the lack of kinowledge or interest with the concierge desk - the people there are clueless, the reception/front desk only slightly better than the concierge, and don't bother paying for the wi-fi. It rarely worked and was quite frustrating to try and use in your room or on the grounds.
Even though service was lacking in what I consider the most important areas, the service in the restaurants was terrific, Friendly, helpful staff was abundant and much appreciated.

Room Tip: Choose a heigher floor room for view and distance from pool noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeff D
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment post on August 5th, 2014.

In Barceló Puerto Vallarta we work with feelings, sensations, and experiences for you to have good memories of your trip to México and specialty of Puerto Vallarta and Barceló.

Our main goal is to give to our entire guest the service which we built our reputation like you tasted with Lucy in the activities by the pool.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Checked in, was given a room without A/C, switched the next day and had to pay an upgrade fee ($30/day). Was told I would be given "$550 resort credit", so I booked things like a massage, resort credit only applies if you present the coupon when making the reservation, well I didn't ever get a coupon. Constantly was told no, and then yes, constantly bounced between people and not given the same service as others. Example: taco station, I order (in Spanish), she doesn't warm my shells, is cold to me, then the person behind me (a local) gets the royal treatment. Keep in mind I was paying to be a "Premium" guest...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaryEllis D
PachecoR, Gerente at Barcelo Puerto Vallarta, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I acknowledge receipt your comment posted on August 4th, 2014.

We know that taste is broken into genres, it is a shame we could not accommodate your tastes to enjoy a memorable holiday.

We regret your feelings about the service you received, assure you will be corrected immediately because your comments undoubtedly make us better every day and the standard that Barceló Hotels & Resorts offers are too high.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Vallarta
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
Hilton Puerto Vallarta Resort
#38 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great Moments All Inclusive
Buenaventura Grand Hotel & Great...
#25 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
Occidental Nuevo Vallarta
#12 of 27 in Nuevo Vallarta
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclusive
Melia Puerto Vallarta All Inclus...
#47 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
Krystal Puerto Vallarta
#61 of 124 in Puerto Vallarta
Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Riviera Nayarit

Been to Barcelo Puerto Vallarta? Share your experiences!