“Freezing pool, hard beds!!!”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #33 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

My husband my kids and me stayed for 6 days. The pool was a horrible freezing surprise, we just couldn't use it. The beds were rock hard difficult to sleep on. Shows were good but not enough seats to watch it. Request an ocean front room so at least you will have a good view.

Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank ericka p
There are newer reviews for Las Palmas by the Sea

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We got a great deal to stay at this resort for 7 days in Jan 2014. But even with the price, I would likely stay somewhere else next time we're in PV.

Hotel
The hotel is dated but clean. Not a ton of amenities but that's what you get for 3.5 stars. Our first room was a room that had an adjoining room on the 4th floor. Well, the door was so thin that we could hear everything the people in the adjoining suite were doing, from frying bacon to clinking silverware. So we moved to a room on the second floor that overlooked the kids pool. No balcony, but much more private. The rooms are pretty run down but fine for the price. Our biggest problem was with the housekeeping. No consistency. After the first night, we had one sheet instead of two. Nothing else but a thin blanket. No bottles of water past the first day. Water all over bathroom floor. They never took the empty glasses and gave us new ones. No towels one day. The fitted sheet on the bed was actually just a flat sheet and was about a foot too short for the bed.

Staff
Friendly staff like everyone says.

Breakfasts were great. Delicious french toast, omlettes, etc. But lunch and supper... wasn't awesome. Thank god for the guy cooking up pasta most nights. We ended up eating off-resort a ton. Get a reservation at La Luna in Old Town if you want an amazing meal. Husband found a few unidentified objects in different dishes. Also, we're pretty sure the beer is alcohol free but no way to prove that one!

Finally, this hotel should really invest in more pool chairs. They are saved by guests either overnight or early in the morning. I bet they could use at least 50 more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaskatchewanMojo
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We knew if would not be a 5 star resort, but we did not expect it to be this bad. Our room overlooked the kids pool and the best part was the fantastic view of the ocean. Nice balcony, however the loud music during the afternoon was a downer for us as seniors we need a rest during the hottest part of the day. The room was so out-dated - stained bathroom floor, loud air conditioner, and very hard beds. The TV is a small 20" located on a ledge plugged into a dubious socket. I know this because I had to climb on a chair to plug my iron into it. course after 3 days I found a plug in behind the main dresser. The bathroom door often wouldn't close, making us wonder ???? why should it close one day and not the next? often no hot water. When the maid cleaned she did a good job, but that wouldn't usually happen till around 4:00p.m. They would come and get the towels in the morning, but not clean the room till late afternoon.

FOOD - very bad - fish every day, and only once was roast beef re-fried on the grill served. fruit was melons - no apples, bananas or oranges. bees swarming over the desserts, the occasional fly stuck to the icing. rice was good, and often fried potatoes, which is pretty much all that I could eat. we went for the a la carte - they will charge you a premium if you want a decent steak or lobster etc. we did not opt to pay for the a la carte. My husband ordered the pork ribs, and was served what we would toss out here in Canada. not really what we expected at all.

DRINKS = so watered down and tasteless unless you prefer wine or beer, it was basically ice we were drinking. and that's ok because nobody needs to be over doing in that heat. But really watered down......really

There is not much beach there, and you really need to be up at 6 a.m. to get a beach or pool chair.

The lobby bar apparently is a "pay" bar except after a certain hour when a daily special will be presented free.

All in all we found a couple of waiters to be excellent, and the bar tenders....it's not their call what they must serve the guests. We found the place very clean as well.

This resort caters to the locals though in everything they do, they all mostly speak in Spanish.
We found that the majority of guests were Spanish speaking, I thought that the resort was a safe and happy place for a young family with little kids, but they all mostly spoke Spanish and played together as such.

we did not enjoy our stay and will not ever return.
I will not recommend this resort to my family and friends.

Room Tip: The kids pool is very active and loud music played all day. If you want an afternoon rest try a roo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JoanO1948
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I grabbed a last minute Transat deal out of Kelowna same as we did last year. We where familiar with the resort from the previous year and where able to compare any changes for better or worse.
Good Parts- The staff where always helpful and friendly. The maid we had was Suzanna for the 4th floor ocean view side. She was very good at her job. Never needed anything extra but she made sure we had extra towels or toiletries. We had table cloths placed on outdoor furniture. Our bed had either a foam topper or a pillow top. As comfortable as our expensive beauty rest at home. I used two pillows as I do at home and never needed more.
We bring a remote for the TV from home and reprogram it but barely watched any of the over 60 channels on. We use it for the music channel but found the relaxing music at the adult pool just fine.
Edgar at the evening bar was amazing at his job. My wife was always supplied with bananas for the morning. He never mixed a bad drink and all customers were looked after equally regardless of tipping or nationality.
Francisco at the buffet looked after our needs. We always had wine in our glass and a spanish coffee to end the meal with.
The check-in staff where attentive and spoke English well enough so no worries. They would exchange our currency and looked after our laundry needs. The bell staff would bring our luggage up and explain the room features. Any taxis where made available promptly.
The timeshare or excursion sales ladies left us alone but we always had a pleasant dialogue about other things. Never any pressure for anything.
Lacking- You will not get poolside drink service. However we usually bought any bottled beer we wanted at the local store onsite or at the end of the street. Draft beer is not our preference even in Canada so no worries. The day bar staff can be hit and miss with mixing drinks so some we would have to dump down the drain or stick to simple cocktails. We bring bubba kegs down and they can be difficult for the staff to gauge the ratio of liquor to mix.
The buffet food was not bad last year but we and others noticed changes this year. Breakfast's where fine as usual but the lunch and dinner was more geared to the local diet.
We did walk out once from dinner and went to Blake's located a few blocks away and had some Canadian food. We did not do the Ala-Carte this year because I got some bad food last year that kept me going all night in the Bano. People that tried it thought it was nothing special. Lunch was usually off site as we would be traveling around on the bus to some small town.

Overall the resort is safe and comfortable. Air Conditioning was perfect and the bathroom had great counter space. Lots of hot water available and a new water saver quite flushing toilet. The view of the ocean is excellent. Sure people play the towel game but we found chairs or loungers when we wanted them. Based on price, we would return again and noticed many others do to.

Room Tip: As mentioned in other reviews, pick a higher floor ocean view. Best tip is to tip.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kelownasouky1
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Our first impression was waiting in smoky smelly closed in lobby to check in, not a good start. Our ocean view room mostly faced a cement wall.
Security - none
There was no safe in the room, you had to pay daily to keep your valuables behind the front desk, The balcony was attached to the next one, separated by a wall about 2 ft high that you could step over.
We had a look at the buffet during snack time, and it was extremely unappetizing, almost all messy tortilla and cheesy high carb concoctions. Tried 1 drink, very processed and watered down.
The air conditioner rattled so loud we needed ear plugs.
The entire hotel smelled smoky.
We were quite happy to pay a little more and move to a better hotel. Transat Vacations were very good about moving us.
This hotel would benefit from a good marketing consultation and overhaul.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shelley S
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I am heading back to this wonderful resort this Feb, haven't been there since Feb of 2012, I am sure hoping that the staff are the same. Manuel and David, as they were so wonderful to me. I stayed in PV last year , but at a different hotel as I could not book into Las Palmas, but was able to go and visit one day last year, and the staff that was there the year before we're still there, and yes they remembered me. Wow can not believe it, as they must see thousands of people every year but seem to remember everyone. The welcome I got last year was so amazing that I knew that I had to book this hotel again this year. I am looking forward to my return. Hard beds and all.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debi L
Reviewed 23 January 2014

This is normal 3.5 star hotel. Nothing expensive.
Food was ok. Not bad not perfect. Beach is not perfect(small and dirty). Rooms was old and noisy. Sometimes waitress didn't offer us a drink at all (not a problem for me they have a fresh juices stand in the morning).

But again this is a 3.5 star hotel. You do not expect to get the 5 star service.

Room Tip: Definitely highest possible floor. Better view and lower noise. Both sides has noises. One is from...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple