“Activities team - Oscar and Luis”

Las Palmas by the Sea
Ranked #40 of 123 Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Chilliwack, Canada
“Activities team - Oscar and Luis”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at many places in PV and Las Palmas was not as fancy of a place compared to others the food was average and the rooms were what was expected since it is an older hotel, beds a little hard no mini bars.. Etc. More loungers by the pool is really needed. The activities staff definitely made the time there enjoyable. Oscar was fabulous at the aqua aerobics and activities in the pool his english was great, Luis was great to they both had an energy that was contagious. They were both hardworking and attentive, but very fun and free spirited, meeting them here was a pleasure and they made up for other areas that were lacking. So great friendly staff and that is whats important to me

• Stayed March 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
milton, ontario
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed here from March 20-27th 2014. Second trip back and still the same warm friendly staff. Upon arriving with my sister Antonio came over and gave me a big hug and recognized me from 4 years ago. Our room had an ocean view that I upgraded to and the soft sound of the ocean was all we heard before going to sleep. Rooms are still very clean and fresh linen every second day. The buffet has still many choices and breakfast with the great variety of fruit and fresh omlettes is great. When we went to the bar David recoginized me immediately and again hugs and welcome back. Edgar still has the same smiling face and so wonderful to be remembered. We love the fact that a lot of Mexican's stay here and you get to mix with them as well. If you are looking for a clean friendly hotel without a lot of fuss etc.stay here and just enjoy. A little noisy at times but usually the Canadian's having a little too much tequila that caused this. Thanks to all I have named and many more I did not for a lovley week.

Room Tip: Choose one with ocean view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sussiMilton_Ontario
Canada
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We were a little leery when we booked because we knew that the university students would be there. But we enjoyed them at the bar at night and came to know some of them. We were lucky that we never heard them at night. Yes the beds were hard but the pillows were fantastic. Ester cleaned our room beautifully, the floors were spotless. Edgar kept us entertained every night, and on his night off we went to bed early. Alejandro came to know us and called us Mumma and Papa, he would see us coming and our wine glasses were filled and waiting for us. Security was not easily identified and when we needed them, could not be found and the girl in the security office did not speak English or refused too. The pool lounges were an issue but my husband was up early and got us ours. Some more umbrellas would be nice. The area around the adult pool is small but at least 20 more lounges could be placed, need to be a little creative. The food was good, not always hot, but were told to take our plates to the grill where they could be warmed. The fish soup was delicious as was the carrot soup. The drinks and wine were good, and the food was good also at the a la carte . If the lounges weren't such as issue we would return. When we arrived we knew we needed a key for the safe and a remote so there was no problem.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room with a balcony preferably over looking the adult pool and above the 2nd fl...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Chickmummy
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After reading all the negative reviews we had some hesitations about booking here. Yes it is an older hotel and not a 5 star, but it is clean and safe. Staff did an amazing job making sure we were comfortable. After one particularly noisy night (we were there with the Spring Breakers) the hotel management sent us a fruit plate and a letter of apology for the noise.

We were in room 422 overlooking the adult pool. We had a great ocean/sunset view. Our housekeeping staff was great! My friend found her bed too hard so we just asked the maid the next day to bring her a foam mattress pad and more pillows........... no problem! Our air conditioner worked well and was quiet.

Food is what I expected for an inclusive. The salads and fruit was fresh daily. There was always a serving of fish, chicken and pork as well as roasted potatoes, pasta or rice. Deserts were amazing. We ate at the a la carte one evening and my grilled fish was really good! Our favorite waiter was at the buffet restaurant and his name is Pedro Cervantes.......... he always responded with "Okey-dokey!!" Hats off as well to Edgar, the lobby bartender, who always managed to serve everyone with a smile!

The activities staff were very friendly as well! Oscar did a great job leading the aquasize classes at noon! The evening entertainers worked hard to put on a good show with what they had.

I would stay here again!

Room Tip: A quieter room is overlooking the adult pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MacsMom11
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

The location of this resort was very central and therefor it was easy to catch the bus to downtown or reasonable to take the cab.

The resort is small, clean and had a great atmosphere. Smoking is allowed there and this turned us off. There are non smoking rooms but they don't seem to face the ocean or have a balcony. The view of the ocean and the sunsets were amazing.

The food was just ok. There is no other restaurants on the resort so you only get buffet. We planed to eat as soon as the buffet changed for dinner or lunch so it was fresh. Breakfast was always good. We also supplemented with some meals out for a change. Try Pipi's downtown its GREAT!

Do not count on Wifi. It is only available in the lobby and many times that crashed while we were there. You do have the option of paying for Wifi if wanted.

The rooms and the beds are small. We got a cot placed in our room and it was a decent size.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bennetts-11
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I had looked over reviews before we went and they were mixed, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking you can't please everyone all the time, we had the worst service, they were not nice at all, in the lobby and the food was the worst I have ever had. Beds were the hardest I have ever slept on or not slept on. I can understand people who work there behind the scenes not speaking English, but the ones that deal directly with the people should have al least some understanding of English, I encountered quite a few that just shook their head at me and walk away.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kitrina0408
Steinbach, Canada
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I traveled here with my wife from March 15-22. This hotel was small but very clean. The beds were firm but it didn't bother us too much. It is very nice that the hotel is very close to the ocean but the small downside was that we wished the beach area was larger and you could have loungers there as well. Not the end of the world but having a lounger on the beach is nice. We usually had a spot by the adult pool every day but it came at a price of getting up at 6:15 to get a chair. Don't mind being up early in Mexico but a little crazy that they don't have nearly enough loungers for guests. The plus side was that for the first several mornings we knew that a quarter of the hotel wasn't up early because there were so many spring breakers up all hours of the night. The nice thing was that there was the quieter adult pool and the noisier activities/kids pool. If kids came swimming in the adult pool they were instantly and kindly asked by the staff to return to the kids pool. I wish that there were also more water activities included with the hotel. Didn't see any kayaks but did however end up paying 150 pesos (twice) for doing the paddle boarding which for not being a huge ocean guy I found it to be one of the funnest water activities ever! Very fun and relaxing (it does help to have some balance though:) It would have also been nice if those were included as well. I found the food was good but my wife found it boring and similar every day which is true but I eat anything . Breakfasts were great, lunch and supper were okay (snack bar was decent but had much better every time I've been in Puerto Vallarta at similar star hotels). The a la carte was actually much better than expected...lots to choose from and pretty tasty. Over all we had a great time! The only reason I'm in Mexico is to sit in the sun, have a drink in hand and RELAX which is exactly what we did. The only downside for the first few days were the spring breakers. I don't mind if they want to have a good time but they need to have more respect for other guests and staff (which a majority of them didn't unfortunately). Returning to the hotel between the hours of 3-5 in the morning and yelling/slamming doors around the hotel was unacceptable but what can you do! Next time if I go the same time of year I will pay more for a higher end hotel with less spring breakers.

Room Tip: If your travelling during spring break no rooms are quiet at night. We first had a room ocean view b...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple